SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:36 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bradbury View Post
Need the speed!, those 1/8 rallycross buggies are quick! nearer 6000Kv and an experiment with that DXR slipper clutch (another tweak to the list).
Its like a 450 bike running supercross and they only get up to 2nd gear. With a 6000kv on that track I doubt you will ever see all that speed used. Its overkill. You put in something like a 4500 or 4800 and you will use more of the power where it matters. You should read the old thread from the guys discussing the Schumacher M5 Anderson race on that grass track over there. I think the guy on the fastest orange bike mentioned his high kv motor was overkill.

Btw, I looked into that dxr slipper for my dx450. When I looked at pictures of the dxr race bike, the shaft used looked like it was designed differently, maybe shorter or the inner shaft grooves for e-clips didnt look right. I wanted to do it, but I passed. I will be curious what you find out if you do the mod.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:49 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Oh, and whilst we are on track performance, I'm ditching the roller wheelie bar before this weekend. They may be great for pulling long wheelies but when you just want to get the power down and distanced covered... It also helped the bike roll over easier 'can't explain to a conclusory satisfaction.' but the wheel bar induced the bike to sit up and carry on it's pirouettes. The drag bar caught hold of stuff and slowed the bike, getting the front end down again. I shan't test the wheelie bar concept any further. They (Wheeled bars) seem a hindrance to good performance.

Summary. Roller wheelie bars are useless.[/QUOTE]

If you are interested I have the details of someone in UK who has made a mould of the body and mudgard where he is able to produce a GRP body set with a layer of kevlar mat bonded into the tail mudguard section .
I have tried one where you can actually pick up the entire bike by the tail section with no sign of flexing so should be able handle the odd wheelie no problem
He can colour the gel coat in any of the standard Anderson colours
Slightly heaver than original but feels more robust
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:32 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,824 Posts
Quote:
One trick used for the pivoting headstock is a silicone tube that fits over the crashbar spring. A well used item by the on road crew. I have one to fit, so might give it a try. Stops the motion of the rocker arm but gives a little in a crash.
Does anyone have a picture of that?
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:15 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Its like a 450 bike running supercross and they only get up to 2nd gear. With a 6000kv on that track I doubt you will ever see all that speed used. Its overkill. You put in something like a 4500 or 4800 and you will use more of the power where it matters. You should read the old thread from the guys discussing the Schumacher M5 Anderson race on that grass track over there. I think the guy on the fastest orange bike mentioned his high kv motor was overkill.

Btw, I looked into that dxr slipper for my dx450. When I looked at pictures of the dxr race bike, the shaft used looked like it was designed differently, maybe shorter or the inner shaft grooves for e-clips didnt look right. I wanted to do it, but I passed. I will be curious what you find out if you do the mod.
Maybe it's overkill, but now you mentioned it, that and the Alpen cup threads need re reading...
I'll order the DXR clutch regardless. You never know what can be brewed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimob23 View Post
] If you are interested I have the details of someone in UK who has made a mould of the body and mudgard where he is able to produce a GRP body set with a layer of kevlar mat bonded into the tail mudguard section .
I have tried one where you can actually pick up the entire bike by the tail section with no sign of flexing so should be able handle the odd wheelie no problem
He can colour the gel coat in any of the standard Anderson colours
Slightly heaver than original but feels more robust
Send me a pm. It's either that or I'm looking for piano wire to fix a 'drag' bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Does anyone have a picture of that?
If I can crawl to the shed to get things done then piccies later. Just got to get rid of back pain first. <Grrrr!>
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:53 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Send me a pm. It's either that or I'm looking for piano wire to fix a 'drag' bar.

PM sent
Have just looked and am not showing as sent so perhaps 2 x left hands .If not received please advise and will re sent
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Last edited by Jimob23; Oct 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Add to message
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:55 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
If the wheelie bar is too short and the wheel attached is nice and big enough, yeah the bike will either be nice for tricks or flip. Sounds like bar should be longer and "wheel" should be just a small roller just enough to not grind down the bar or drag/catch on anything. If you put a motor that is too fast thats not helping "put the power down"...
I'm considering something similar, but where the back end 'catches' (like old school metal scratchbars) and gets that front end down again. The 'wheelie easy on the roller bar' just does not cut it for a faster lap. It can also really cause problems when the m-gyro slows and of course that just leads to a bike trying to flip around like some late '70's NY streetdancer. It's no wonder the buggy crew think my bike is crazy! (They just don't know really, I pity them having to cope with the stability of 4 wheels all too predictable. Jajaja!)

The motor I'm still considering. If you are good with the thumbs...
I'll see what I can get fabricated from the DXR slipper. There is also the radio to play with, all the fancy throttle curves etc.

I've never had so much fun with ALL my clothes on! (DO NOT ASK about anything else!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzodog690 View Post
You inspire me chaps, I'm a billy no mates on the Isle of Wight with my M5, such a shame as there are amazing places to "play".
I'm a billy no mates too here really. Just trust in the bike, make it go like hell, and have fun!
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:10 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,341 Posts
Just noticed the new MOTO tire for... 1/8 buggies:

More details here: http://www.raceaka.com/18-BUGGY-MOTO...RTS_p_679.html

I think it will be a perfect fit for the Anderson/DX450!!!!
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:16 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,824 Posts
Does the width of the tyre matter? I guess there's clearance either side of it to consider too, but does the thickness of the hub it was intended to fit on have to be the same as the M5 wheel? Buggy tyres that I've seen looked a lot wider.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Jun 2012
35 Posts
Quote:

I'm a billy no mates too here really. Just trust in the bike, make it go like hell, and have fun!
Indeed I will and one day will make it to a bike meeting.
Bonzodog690 is offline Find More Posts by Bonzodog690
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Jun 2012
35 Posts
Interesting tyre Steliosh, I'm currently looking for a good off road rear tyre, so far I've only tried the standard one and the Pro-Line Badlands, which was my favorite.

Any other suggestions chaps ?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:57 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,341 Posts
I have successfully used a 1/8 buggy tire wrapped around a "bald" M5 rear tire... I just had to shave the left side a bit, so it would not mess with the chain...

Just spot-glue it with CA at 5-6 points on the old tire, around the circumference...

I do NOT know if it s good for the bike, but it certainly looks more like a Moto tire than a buggy one!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Jun 2012
35 Posts
Yep, same way I did the Badlands, cheers for the pic

Anyhow, after numerous front end hits a lot of play has developed in the headstock plates causing tank slappers (even with a damper) so after a rumage I found some suitable flanged bearings and the modding/butchering has commenced.

The plate on the right has been drilled (using the step drill pictured) so the bearing sits flush and is a nice tight fit.

Bearings fitted using threadlock.

More to follow.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:37 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,341 Posts
nice one with the bearings! Do tell how they survive, too...
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Jun 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
nice one with the bearings! Do tell how they survive, too...
Will do tommorow

All fitted and it feels very nice, smooth and with minimal play and if the bearings fail too quickly then flanged brass bushings can be used.

Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:02 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
I have successfully used a 1/8 buggy tire wrapped around a "bald" M5 rear tire... I just had to shave the left side a bit, so it would not mess with the chain...
I see. Thanks. I assumed it had to be fitted to the rim of the bike wheel.

You'll have changed up a gear by making the wheels a bigger diameter. I don't suppose that matters much though. You could always change the pinion as well.

That's a neat bit of engineering, Bonzodog690.