SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:00 PM
V911, V912 and micro coax
Joined Dec 2014
90 Posts
Discussion
v911 How much vibration is normal?

My V911 vibrates a little bit but otherwise flies ok... how much is normal? Or should there be none?

Also if I hold the heli by the flybar and lift up and down everything on the main shaft lifts up and down a fraction including the main gear. I can't see any to stop that movement. Is that normal or should it be firm with no movement at all?

Thanks
OldLady is offline Find More Posts by OldLady
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2015, 01:25 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,753 Posts
A good V911 has no vibration beyond the motor noises and hollow canopy amplification. When one of my V911's gets the shakes it means something is very wrong. Usually a failure where the blade is secured by the screw. Haven't seen many cracked blades except around the mounting screw. If you lose a flybar weight the shakes are so bad that it will not fly at all. Other moderate vibrations could be caused by a missing link or a link pushed off the ball (in or out), or you have the flybar screw too tight, or a separated swashplate (which never happened on any of my V911's). Main gear could have rough spots on the teeth or is badly warped. Never had a bad upper or lower bearing. The anti-rotation pin out of the slot can cause vibration when a servo tries to move the swashplate.

As for the main shaft moving up and down, a little is OK and a lot may cause the main gear to drop below the motor pinion gear. There is a collar screwed into the main shaft just below the swashplate that keeps shaft up/down movement to a minimum.

Usually I remove the collar to save weight and to allow the main gear to move up/down on the pinion gear (balances pinion gear wear and re-cuts main gear teeth - or so I imagine). My favorite Yellow V911 still has the collar, but no screw, and the main gear drops below the pinion gear. Worked fine until I greased that area. Should really fix it, in the mean time I simply apply full right aileron and full reverse elevator to raise the main gear up to the motor pinion gear until the main blades create some lift.

In normal flight the main blades are always lifting the main shaft all the way up, so it makes no difference.

Oh, I tried the CA (super glue) and baking soda trick to fix a broken landing gear and it did make a putty that filled around the broken area. Over the years I have tried all sorts of ways to fix broken landing gear, all with poor results. Actually I was lazy and used enamel nail polish sprinkled with baking soda, Will see if it breaks again.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Jan 25, 2015 at 02:08 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 02:56 AM
Joined Dec 2014
90 Posts
Genius! A link connected from one of the blades to the swash plate was off the ball... inwards!

I would never have found it... so glad to learn something helpful, thank you!

Also, thanks for the comment regarding movement up and down the shaft, it's not too bad and the gear sits comfortable to the pinion gear.

What a relief.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 03:33 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,753 Posts
Now do me a favor and send the sun back north. You can have it for a few more months though.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Jan 25, 2015, 06:26 AM
Joined Dec 2014
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Now do me a favor and send the sun back north. You can have it for a few more months though.
haha... I live in the "winterless north", so called because of our wonderful climate... so I guess I could spare you a little...

Here it is setting, should come up your way soon! (This is Ahipara beach... about fifteen minutes from where I live.)

The other picture is the street where I work... only the photo was taken in 1917 so it's a tiny bit more modern now... not much though... this is one minute drive from where I live.