HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2015, 02:34 PM
Joined Jan 2012
37 Posts
Discussion
Does EPP expand at altitude?

I have a Zagi THL flown in this video that has the packing tape covering. It's been looking shabby lately but I have been too lazy to recover it. There are some wrinkles on it, mostly on the Starbord wing half.

I built it at sea level and am currently at Lake Tahoe and brought it along in case I find flying conditions somewhere and I noticed the tape covering is now almost perfectly smooth. I noticed this coincidentally after opening a bloated bag of chips and thought maybe the core had expanded due to the altitude.

Has anyone noticed this? on other planes or wings?

Zagi THL @ Fairmont Ridge (1 min 1 sec)

J
Goldentaco is offline Find More Posts by Goldentaco
Last edited by Goldentaco; Jan 09, 2015 at 02:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2015, 02:40 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,273 Posts
Maybe the tape contracted due to the cold?
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Jan 09, 2015, 02:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
37 Posts
Not sure but the wing was in my mini-van strapped to the ceiling on the drive up. Nice and cozy like

J
Old Jan 09, 2015, 02:52 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,651 Posts
Maybe, I've come back down from the mountains to sea level and had my foamie wrinkled up.
I guess you have that to look forward to.
First time it freaked me out. Now a little careful heat gun action and it's all good.
Tom
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Last edited by TRISME; Jan 09, 2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2015, 02:56 PM
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,159 Posts
I'm at 4500' ASL and fly at 5200' ....don't notice any wrinkles or such ......well....... maybe the BIG ones after one of my spectacular unscheduled landings. But then again I build at the same altitude.....so in my case it's a wash.
Steve 0 is online now Find More Posts by Steve 0
Old Jan 09, 2015, 03:02 PM
Joined Jan 2012
37 Posts
I expect to see the same wrinkles show back up. Currently at 6400 ft ish is quite a change from 12ft ASL.

Now if I can fly it It'd be nice to see if it flies better non wrinkled... maybe that'll be the kick in the pants to recover this thing.

J
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:39 AM
Gloucester Ma
Joined Dec 2002
1,046 Posts
Wow. So I could finally do a nice job of covering! All I have to do is get a pressure suit and rent space in a decompression chamber to build in
But I'm just worried my beer will taste flat.
A Monell is offline Find More Posts by A Monell
Old Jan 10, 2015, 03:32 AM
Joined Jan 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monell View Post
Wow. So I could finally do a nice job of covering! All I have to do is get a pressure suit and rent space in a decompression chamber to build in
But I'm just worried my beer will taste flat.
That sounds promising. But I think you'd have to build in a compression chamber. Just make sure you leave the beer outside.

J