HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:20 PM
Joined Aug 2013
4 Posts
Discussion
Change Sun 120mm Ducted Fan 12 Blades with EDF 5052 motor kv500

has anybody purchased this set up from eBay? it seems a couple of different sellers have it listed and Iím wondering how close are the specs they claim. I need a Replacment for a Dynamax that had an OS91 and donít want to spend a fortune for a motor or fan. I still have the Dynamax with a good rotor does anybody have a motor that will produce the same or better for the Dynamax?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2715588...ectorid=229466

thanks
montaukmsc is offline Find More Posts by montaukmsc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2014, 01:05 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,132 Posts
You might want to read this :

Change Sun 12 blade 120mm

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ange+Sun+120mm
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 28, 2014, 09:33 AM
Joined Aug 2013
4 Posts
i read that but nobody has given any actual input to the one selling on eBay and if it produces the power that it states it can
montaukmsc is offline Find More Posts by montaukmsc
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:50 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,132 Posts
I don't see anywhere in there add where it makes any claims as to out put..
If you read the other thread as you say, you know this fan needs some serious mods so it doesn't explode. Glue all the blades in place then a great deal of balancing needs to be done..

This is nowhere near a replacement fan for the Dynamax.!!!....Tamjets does have the parts needed to make the Dynamax into an EDF--. http://www.tamjets.com/original/inde...sort=1a&page=2

Looks yo me like your sacrificing quality, for a cheap price. Even the new Jetfan 120, is around $200.00- then add a 800 series Het motor, and your around $360.00+

PM erh7771, maybe he can build you a CS 120 that will hold together.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:40 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,982 Posts
Those are the new design CS12 120s...

No mods needed...

I've had a front bearing throw on a motor... spiked the 200 amp ESC so bad it lit on fire .... no thrown blades even though a couple fused to the shroud after the bearing wouldn't center the rotor in the shroud and made them rub.

Again, no thrown blades...... There's not too many fans out there that can happen to
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erh7771; Oct 30, 2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 07:37 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,612 Posts
May I ask where you bought the new version? Any way of telling if you have old or new?
The 90mm had issues a couple years ago but HK just kept selling off the old weak batch till they were gone. Thankfully there was a measurable weight difference so you could know if you had a bad or new rotor.
Have you weighed these new rotors to compare with old?
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Nov 02, 2014, 12:14 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
May I ask where you bought the new version? Any way of telling if you have old or new?
The 90mm had issues a couple years ago but HK just kept selling off the old weak batch till they were gone. Thankfully there was a measurable weight difference so you could know if you had a bad or new rotor.
Have you weighed these new rotors to compare with old?
I'll find an older rotor and to the comparison

I'm also going to put some nasty through the new rotors...see what I get.. but the design is no doubt different...

Flew today with the new design... didn't break a sweat... more concerned with the jet than the fan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2015, 09:29 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,330 Posts
Elmer, are you just ordering these from Hobby King? I have a 120 that I was going to set up but I like the idea of this newer version. Mine are a couple years old.
Air Head is offline Find More Posts by Air Head
Last edited by Air Head; Jan 02, 2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2015, 11:39 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Head View Post
Elmer, are you just ordering these from Hobby King? I have a 120 that I was going to set up but I like the idea of this newer version. Mine are a couple years old.
Nope, through CS themselves...

Got 6mm shaft adapters also but will be testing them for true first...

If you're 120 is the pressure collet type for 8mm then you're good...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2015, 11:54 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,330 Posts
Ok Thanks

I was going to place a Hobby King order. Do I understand they are not the same as through CS? Mine is the pressure collet if I understand, but I want to get a couple more. Should I order from CS?

Is CS = X Flight?
Old Jan 03, 2015, 12:06 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,982 Posts
Quote:
Ok Thanks

I was going to place a Hobby King order. Do I understand they are not the same as through CS? Mine is the pressure collet if I understand, but I want to get a couple more. Should I order from CS?

Is CS = X Flight?
I don't know if HK got the new batch yet...

Nope ...CS isn't x-flight .. at one time I swore they were...

What motor are you going to use?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2015, 12:27 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,330 Posts
SK3 4962's 480kv - 24 cell 300 amp controllers Fliermodel (a bit afraid of them though based on Joe's recent input) Thought I could crank them up to 16 cells or so. Sold my XPS Pro and thought I go with twin CS 120's. Not sure how much these can handle but I think I remember you saying you got close to 20 pounds out of one. I plan to mount these on a standoff to keep them cool.

Who do I order the fans from? Not having much luck with a search. Is it possible to get a couple glued and balanced from you? Saves me the chance of a grenade.

Thanks for the help

Rick
Old Jan 03, 2015, 12:44 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,982 Posts
Quote:
SK3 4962's 480kv - 24 cell 300 amp controllers Fliermodel (a bit afraid of them though based on Joe's recent input)...
Joe was using a Lehner, the outrunners worked better with the FC ESC's so far... I've been testing with one of the 16s 200a FCs for 2 years now... even with arching wires and plugs coming of the male plug I've not had one blow a rail at all...

I'm going to fully test the ones Joe sold me... I'll have to give him a cut if the whole governer thing works

Quote:
Thought I could crank them up to 16 cells or so Sold my XPS Pro and thought I go with twin CS 120's.
For what model? (I'm nosey )

I wouldn't do 16s on that Sk3 with the CS... if you're wanting 20lbs on 16s go lower KV... I'm trying to find the right match KV to 16s myself... FC has some 16s 100amps that will help put out 20lbs on 16s for really low amps but can't be sold in Europe IIRC

Quote:
Not sure how much these can handle but I think I remember you saying you got close to 20 pounds out of one. I plan to mount these on a standoff to keep them cool.
I think that was a 500kv XKS but at a smaller motor size... let me check again... that KV might work on 14s for 20lbs...

BTW, Here's that same fan on 12s 80 amps... pushed the foremost pretty good 100% FSA

CS 120 Formoste 150 (4 min 6 sec)

Who do I order the fans from? Not having much luck with a search.

I have a source, 65 shipped to you... let me know... I'll glue and balance for a couple 20s but it'll take a second... see below

Quote:
...Is it possible to get a couple glued and balanced from you? Saves me the chance of a grenade.

Thanks for the help

Rick
How soon you itching to get started?

There are some REALLY good new stuff to come out...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erh7771; Jan 03, 2015 at 12:50 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2015, 12:56 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,330 Posts
Ok as far as the model goes its going to be a scratch build but as I planned to do with my XPS Fan, I want to back into this after I get the power system and batteries sorted out. I did not find much about anyone powering the XPS Fans close to the 20KW that was advertised - so I am thinking I can get there another way. Jim (XPS) frightened me a bit when I discussed my plans and it seemed a bit scary and perhaps unsafe so I sold the fan

I'm not in a rush and have plenty to keep me busy, but are there any hints about whats in store? Are you talking about airframes or power systems? ( perhaps both)
Old Jan 03, 2015, 12:59 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,982 Posts
Quote:
Ok as far as the model goes its going to be a scratch build but as I planned to do with my XPS Fan, I want to back into this after I get the power system and batteries sorted out. I did not find much about anyone powering the XPS Fans close to the 20KW that was advertised - so I am thinking I can get there another way. Jim (XPS) frightened me a bit when I discussed my plans and it seemed a bit scary and perhaps unsafe so I sold the fan

I'm not in a rush and have plenty to keep me busy, but are there any hints about whats in store? Are you talking about airframes or power systems? ( perhaps both)
More power systems than airframes

PM'd
RCG Plus Member