HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:41 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,838 Posts
That what I was looking for, Allan - the FLAP SYSTEM menu in ACRO mode.

Is it not available at the moment because I have the FLAP [OUT] set to ACT instead of SYS?

Will set it to SYS and see what I can find

Not sure what you mean by "The only disadvantage to using the FLAP SYSTEM is that you will probably end up using only a portion of your flap servo's potential travel." Are the throws not able to be set to 100% on the 3Pos switch?

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Last edited by BJ64; Jan 17, 2015 at 11:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:49 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,838 Posts
PS - interestingly enough, as it is right now with FLAP [OUT] set to ACT and using the 'AUX2' 3Pos switch (the one just to the right of the Ele Dual Rates 2pos switch), I actually get 3 flap positions - Up, center (neutral), and Down... but only the Up and Down have parameters that I can change in the Travel Adj' menu.

As I was trying to explain earlier, Pos0 is only ever 'Up' - configurable from 100% down to 0%. Pos1 is center, and can't be adjusted at all. And Pos2 is only ever 'Down' - again configurable from 100% down to 0%.

I seem to recall that on my DSX9, I got to a menu somehow that allowed me to configure all 3 switch positions to anything I liked - 'Up' 100% down to 0%, and then the variable changed to 'Down' from 0% to 100% i.e. I could roll the percentages/direction Up or Down to 100% going through 0% (U 100% to 0, then then it switched to D and started to go from 0 to 100%)

I'm hoping that changing FLAP [OUT] to SYS on the 11X will allow me to do the same thing..

BJ
Old Jan 18, 2015, 01:37 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,115 Posts
What we have here ...

BJ,
I'm not sure we have full two-way communication here.
What I was trying to say is that you have what you want right now, except for the neutral point - you want Up to be clean/faired/zero flap, then two stages down from there, yes?
The easiest way to achieve that is by moving the whole flap range downwards till Up flap is level with the wing section - either by winding the clevises in/out, moving the servo arm on the splines, putting in a bunch of Down sub-trim on the flap servos, or a combination to suit your setup.
Do that till the middle, fixed position is your desired half flap, then set throw up and down to get Clean in the Up position, and your desired full flap in the Down.
Dunno if any of that helps - too many words.
Cheers,
Pete
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
Old Jan 18, 2015, 01:40 AM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
926 Posts
When any channel's [DEVICE] is a three-position switch and its [OUT] is ACT, you get the travel adjustments high position, the subtrim position, and the travel adjustment low position. The FLAP SYSTEM menu is only visible if the FLAP [OUT] is SYS. I don't know about the DSX9 but it's that way on the 9303 and the 11X.

To have use of the flap servo entire travel, I've seen the flap system set up such that the NORM position is U100%, MID is 0% (or some other value of your choosing), and LAND is D100%. Then the linkage is adjusted so the flap is neutral when the switch is in NORM. It is nearly equivalent to what you were trying to do. The problem with using the subtrim and the travel adjustment method is that the subtrim affects the travel adjustment values. As you increase the subtrim, the high and low end points move. If you use the FLAP SYSTEM, the three adjustments are independent.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Old Jan 18, 2015, 02:01 AM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
926 Posts
As you are programming in ACRO, the flap system menu is easiest. However, if you were using GLID and wanted to use a three-position switch instead of a lever for flap control, Pete's post #93 would be the way to go.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Old Jan 18, 2015, 06:50 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem View Post
...The easiest way to achieve that is by moving the whole flap range downwards till Up flap is level with the wing section - either by winding the clevises in/out, moving the servo arm on the splines, putting in a bunch of Down sub-trim on the flap servos, or a combination to suit your setup....Pete
I got what you meant the first time.

But this is a $600+ radio - surely I don't have to dodge curve-balls around corners and have to fudge my Servo arm positions just to appease the Tx ??

60 dollar radio gear can do all that stuff these days...

BJ
Old Jan 18, 2015, 06:58 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorrest View Post
..The FLAP SYSTEM menu is only visible if the FLAP [OUT] is SYS...
Allan
Didn't get a chance to try it yet - spent all day fitting out the new 'hobby shed'.

I hope get get a chance to try that method sooner rather than later ...but I have to fix the ASW29 now that I managed to stove it in dead-center prop on the only soccer goal-post within 3 freakin miles...

BJ
Old Jan 18, 2015, 04:14 PM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,115 Posts
BJ, agree all - I grumble incessantly when trying to convince my quite expensive, but slightly dated radio to do things that the new stuff does in its sleep!
But if the aim is to go flying with a setup that works as you want ...
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
Old Jan 18, 2015, 09:00 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,838 Posts
I'm pretty stubborn Pete, so I guess I'll persevere with the 'JR way' on the 11X.

A lot of things are doable, but getting to comprehend them isn't all that easy via the Manual - it tends to be written at a level that assumes you already know what it is that you want to do. Still, at least there is a Manual that's written in readable English. It's just a pity that it's not written for doofusses like me to understand.

With the help of you guys, I reckon I'll get close to what I want to do. It gets a bit embarrassing asking dumbarse questions all the time...

BJ
Old Jan 19, 2015, 07:58 AM
Malta & Newport
United States, RI, Newport
Joined May 2010
133 Posts
Hi BJ, been away, so just caught up with your dilemma. If its any help I have some time over the next few days, so I ll try programming a model in ACRO and will try to gget the flaps to act on a switch.
Quick question, you do have each wing surface on a separate channel don't you?
alexhallmalta is online now Find More Posts by alexhallmalta
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2015, 04:05 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,838 Posts
Yep.

11X model set to ACRO.

2 Aileron servos and 2 Flap servos.

Starboard Aileron is in Ail Ch (2), Port Aileron is in Gear Ch (5).

Both Flaps are running into a Y-lead and plugged into Aux1 Channel (6).

Wing Type set to Normal.
Device Select FLAP set to AUX2 SW, ACT (which I'll change to SYS as per previous recommendations).

DUAL - AILE - is mated to Gear.

BJ
Last edited by BJ64; Jan 19, 2015 at 06:37 PM.