Old Jun 24, 2016, 06:47 AM
Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
dare to thermal
Mannheim, Germany
Joined May 2004
962 Posts
Discussion
F3X soaring drills/games

I would like to collect some "soaring drills", which not only improve the skills of contest pilots, but are little "games" and challenges for every soaring pilot.

If we devide a typical flight into three phases, we get
1. launch
2. (thermal) flight
3. landing

Let me start with two drill i found on the net:

Level landing
L1 5 consecutive landings with eg.98 (from 100) points without timing
L2 5 consecutive landings with eg.98 (from 100) points within the last 2 seconds of your working time
L3 5 consecutive landings with eg.98 (from 100) points within the last (1) second of your working time

You can enter the next level only, if you have completed the current level. Eg. You have 4 consecutive landings for level 2 but on your 5th landing you are too late. Then start again with flight#1 for L2.

Level landing is one of the drills which can easily adopt to your skills.
Eg. A beginner can start L1 with a huge (45ft or 15m) circle around the landing point. L2 then could be a circle of 10m. Timing is not necessary.

Thermal flying: search & work, exit ...
Enter a thermal, work it for 5 or 6 circles. Then leave it, and try to enter the same thermal.

Im looking forward to your "drills"!

/Bernd
Bernd Brunner is offline Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2016, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by JOLOVINS
Joined Sep 2004
879 Posts
"Death Match" hi start.
35' of rubber, 35' of line, launch. If everyone get out, call it good and landing rules. If not the guy that got out wins.
1 point per flight, 5 points wins, repeat

Works if your alone also. Teaches low level flying and landing. We have run contests on this format.
JOLOVINS is offline Find More Posts by JOLOVINS