SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:41 PM
Joined May 2007
121 Posts
Discussion
The V252 Pro / Skylark thread. w/ Video

Greetings fellow mini/micro quadcopter enthusiasts.

Previous versions of V252 thread.

I've decided to start a new thread relative to WLToys' new V252 Pro (or Skylark) version:

because this version is essentially a completely new model of this somewhat classic WLToys quadcopter and having a new thread is going to help cutdown on confusion in discussions between prior versions and newer versions based upon this system.

This design is new right from the get go with what is a completely redesigned flight controller board (FCB):

This new design is not compatible with the previous V2x2 WLToys transmitters. Hopefully the included transmitter that does work with this quadcopter will be one whose TX/RX system has already been hacked and folks will be able to adapt their hacked TXes (e.g. Devo) to work with it. I share more details about flight characteristics of the initial V252 Pro quadcopter I received here later on in this thread.

Edit: Video by Machy2k of this quadcopter flying has been posted starting on page 4.

Edit2: SeByDocKy has shared that this model works with modded Devo controllers. Details 1, Details 2

Edit3: There's a new version of the V252 Pro / Skylark as described at this point in this thread.

Edit4: Flyin' Ryan / theimacman made a thorough video review of the 1st version of the V252 Pro / Skylark (featured in the top image of this post).

-Scott
WorldScott is offline Find More Posts by WorldScott
Last edited by WorldScott; Aug 11, 2014 at 02:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2014, 02:03 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,979 Posts
Thanks, Scott, for your review. This one is so new that we have very little to go on. So far, you have learned that it is not compatible with the previous V2x2 protocol, but we don't know what it is compatible with. What other Tx/protocols do you have access to?

As you have demonstrated that you have to fear taking apart the Quad to show the PCB, perhaps, you could do something about the Tx and see if you could pin point the chip set of the Tx module? I think that will give us some clue as to what this protocol is.

HP
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Apr 19, 2014, 04:12 PM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
6,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Thanks, Scott, for your review. This one is so new that we have very little to go on. So far, you have learned that it is not compatible with the previous V2x2 protocol, but we don't know what it is compatible with. What other Tx/protocols do you have access to?

As you have demonstrated that you have to fear taking apart the Quad to show the PCB, perhaps, you could do something about the Tx and see if you could pin point the chip set of the Tx module? I think that will give us some clue as to what this protocol is.

HP
I am feeling, it's new protocol, maybe the same that for new Helicopter Power series. Unfortunatly, the RF chips is hidden by this black mark and I can't receive the crystel quartz information from photos
SeByDocKy is offline Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Apr 19, 2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 04:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,979 Posts
SBD, I'm glad to see that you are in this discussion, cause I knew you were instrumental in getting the data for SYMA X2. What is the outlook of getting this "new" one into Deviation? I've been itching to try the V252, but frankly, I don't want another one on the V2x2. This may be a new hope.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 04:49 PM
Joined Dec 2012
6,910 Posts
Quote:
SBD, I'm glad to see that you are in this discussion, cause I knew you were instrumental in getting the data for SYMA X2. What is the outlook of getting this "new" one into Deviation? I've been itching to try the V252, but frankly, I don't want another one on the V2x2. This may be a new hope.
Unfortunatly I don't have such new model close to my hands ....
I know the new WLtoys protocol developpement will start in few days when a user will receive his salae analyser. Maybe it's the same this new V252 pro.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 08:56 PM
Joined May 2007
121 Posts
Quote:

HP

HP,

Ok I have opened up the TX and taken some photos. The main IC board on the transmitter appears to have no markings. There are a couple of other chips that do have identifying numbers on them.

Here's what I came up with:

-Scott
Old Apr 19, 2014, 09:06 PM
Joined May 2007
121 Posts
I've decided to carry my previous post from the original V252 thread to this thread as folks will be better served with this info here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldScott View Post
Ok,

I've had a chance to take the V252 Pro (or V252 Skylark) out for more flights after replacing the previously broken metallic blue body for a transparent one.

Here's what I have noticed: Once the FC board is in a transparent body one notices that the blue orientation lights are brighter compared to previous V252 versions. This is helpful when trying to maintain orientation of the quadcopter when it is flying some distance away.

Even though the highest non-flipping TX mode (60%) of the quadcopter's transmitter makes it respond decently it has a nasty habit of seemingly randomly performing programmed flips (I haven't noticed any pattern other than it happening when making quick flight moves) . This tends to be rather disorienting and if the quadcopter isn't flying at a decent distance away from obstacles, risks provoking a crash. This flipping aspect leads me to noticing a significant difference in the flight stabilization system relative to the previous versions. The V252 Pro/Skylark version has a tendency to be slow to get itself back into a flat orientation when coming out of a tumbling fall. This tends to be problematic for V252 pilots like myself who are accustomed to being able to perform a tumble from relatively low altitudes. It is not possible to safety perform a tumbling fall from relatively low altitudes with this Pro/Skylark version. The quadcopter now just takes too long to get stabilized!

From this one example of this initial V252 Pro/Skylark version that I have it really feels like this model is a step backwards for the V252 line. The metallic colored body appears to be very fragile and the quadcopter is less reliable in terms of random flipping behavior and the flight stabilization system is too slow.

Hopefully I've managed to get a bunk/lemon copy of this newer V252 version and others will be able to chime in about having more positive impressions/experiences.
-Scott
Last edited by WorldScott; Apr 19, 2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:57 PM
Joined May 2007
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post
I can't receive the crystel quartz information from photos
It is 16.000 MHZ as shown in the first attached image.

I checked on the accelerometer / gyro chip and it is an MPU-6050C.

Also, the mosfets driving the motors are marked 2314.

There are a couple of other images showing some other parts in more detail.

-Scott
Old Apr 20, 2014, 01:19 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6,979 Posts
Thanks, Scott. Unfortunately, I couldn't make anything out of these numbers. Perhaps others have better knowledge.

And the plot thickens.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 02:08 AM
Joined Dec 2012
6,910 Posts
In the TX, there is an important photo, the one focused on TX daughter board "ACE" writtten in large letters. At the bottom part, under the hot glue, I am guessing the role of each pins. If you can read them better. I can't read them all from the photos. If the clock is at 16Mhz, it's probably a nRF24L01+ compatible chip again.
More this "ABE compagny" for me it's not uknown .... Look this photo of the SymaX4 TX, it's the compagny who made the daughter board. I am guessing the new protocol should be a variante of the symaX2 protocol ....
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:17 PM
Joined May 2007
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post
In the TX, there is an important photo, the one focused on TX daughter board "ABE" writtten in large letters. At the bottom part, under the hot glue, I am guessing the role of each pins. If you can read them better. I can't read them all from the photos. If the clock is at 16Mhz, it's probably a nRF24L01+ compatible chip again.
More this "ABE compagny" for me it's not uknown .... Look this photo of the SymaX4 TX, it's the compagny who made the daughter board. I am guessing the new protocol should be a variante of the symaX2 protocol ....
Ok, I peeled back the glue to reveal the writing and took a photo. Here it is below. This does look helpful.

-Scott
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:34 PM
Joined Dec 2012
6,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldScott View Post
Ok, I peeled back the glue to reveal the writing and took a photo. Here it is below. This does look helpful.

-Scott
Thanks Scott,

All pins are referenced... very important to indentify the chip and protocol used.
Since you own this quad, maybe you can sniff data from the TX using a saleae such as :

http://www.banggood.com/USB-Saleae-2...5-p-74101.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Apr 20, 2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:03 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,360 Posts
I just got home and my Skylark was waiting for me, and a question I have had since someone said it, has finally been answered..
The groovy looking feet spin when you blow on them, so it seems as if they will spin when the props do..
Charging batteries and I am gonna see what if any protocol discovery may be found...
Petey....
Machy2k is online now Find More Posts by Machy2k
Old Apr 24, 2014, 01:28 PM
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Mar 2014
21 Posts
So..... How'd she fly Petey? Any problems? Is it junk? Oh please oh pleaseI gotta know. You see ...mines on the way too!
eRiCquadSTL is offline Find More Posts by eRiCquadSTL
Old Apr 24, 2014, 01:57 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRiCquadSTL View Post
So..... How'd she fly Petey? Any problems? Is it junk? Oh please oh pleaseI gotta know. You see ...mines on the way too!
Hi; well I so far have not flown it hard, but my main observations are..
I may have a slight issue with this one, it was windy out when I flew it but it seemed to lose control when I was flying mine, so I will get back to you on that one..

It looks so cool, like a Christmas ornament, I do not like the radio changes so far, because it starts up in 20% goes to 40, then 60 then 100%, nothing really wrong with that but I like the 5 settings of the stock, it is probably fine so consider that my opinion.
while just hovering around I felt like it is different somehow but It may just need to loosen up and get broken in a little, I really have been taking it easy on it and I was not flying over grass, so I did not want to open it up.

I love the feet, I think they are so cool, and it makes me want to fly it more responsibly so I do not just break it.
Since I started flying these things I have not really been able to break the habit of slamming them onto the ground, so lately I have been really trying to be a pilot as opposed to slamming Quads all the time... and again I love the spinning feet...

If you get one that is working I do not think it is junk, the Rf Protocol changes everyone is talking about, is a problem kind of I mean if I was flying the 4 V252 Quads I could have, this one would need it's own transmitter, and that is stupid, I really expected this to be a V252 so I could use the same stuff..
I bought it because it was a V252 and it was pro..
I would not have if I knew the protocol was different..
I will get back to you later,... man..
Petey...
Machy2k is online now Find More Posts by Machy2k
Last edited by Machy2k; Apr 24, 2014 at 02:12 PM.