SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2015, 06:23 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent713 View Post
Thank you so much for your input guys, I really appreciate it. I like the Flysky Turnigy style TX, it's compact and has adequate amount of switches. The 9xr pro has more options but has that big handle on top which I dislike. The Taranis has all the bells and whistle but price is rather high. I fly single blade flybarless helicopters and fixed wing airplanes. I'm currently building a 450 flybarless FP heli and plan on using CC3D for the flight controller. I would like to have a TX that I can grow with and would give me the best bang for the buck. Which 9x TX would you guys recommend?
If you like the classic 9x, go with the Turnigy:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Firmware_.html

Then follow all the links provided by Daedalus66 above.
gbmarsh is online now Find More Posts by gbmarsh
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2015, 06:47 PM
Keep em' high and let it fly
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Aug 2013
2,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
If you like the classic 9x, go with the Turnigy:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Firmware_.html

Then follow all the links provided by Daedalus66 above.
Wow only $60 and comes with a receiver?? That is freakin' cheap!!
vincent713 is offline Find More Posts by vincent713
Old Feb 24, 2015, 07:04 PM
Team Crash
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Apr 2014
1,761 Posts
Check out the classifieds too. I picked up a FlySky Th9x with Smartie board, lipo mod, FrSky XJT module in addition to the stock module and the FLD-02 and got a good price on it a couple of weeks ago.
Rook62 is online now Find More Posts by Rook62
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:22 AM
Malaysia, Johor, Johor Bahru
Joined Aug 2014
280 Posts
Quote:
Wow only $60 and comes with a receiver?? That is freakin' cheap!!
That module and RX it comes with are not fit for purpose in my opinion if you are planning to fly something anyway. My plan was start with that and upgrade to a DR4-II RX and XJT module however...

... after my first 3 or 4 flights I realised the upgrade was essential, the range was no more than 30 meters before losing control and the FC would go failsafe.
JohnW78 is offline Find More Posts by JohnW78
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:57 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW78 View Post
That module and RX it comes with are not fit for purpose in my opinion if you are planning to fly something anyway.
A highly contested opinion. There are MANY that feel the stock setup is perfectly fine. It is a full range receiver. The fact it does not have failsafe, however, is a somewhat contentious issue.

I personally switched to FrSky for telemetry reasons, but I can't say I notice any range or reliability benefits.
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Feb 25, 2015, 01:15 AM
Keep em' high and let it fly
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Aug 2013
2,390 Posts
JohnW, thanks for the heads up, I've seen the DR4-II but it's rather pricey.
vincent713 is offline Find More Posts by vincent713
Old Feb 25, 2015, 01:17 AM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
A highly contested opinion. There are MANY that feel the stock setup is perfectly fine. It is a full range receiver. The fact it does not have failsafe, however, is a somewhat contentious issue.

I personally switched to FrSky for telemetry reasons, but I can't say I notice any range or reliability benefits.
Failsafe on all channels was the main reason I went with FrSky to begin with but the telemetry and excellent range I get is a big plus.

Mind you, if it hadn't been for the SmartieParts board I probably wouldn't be still using my 9X today

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is online now Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Feb 25, 2015, 02:17 AM
Malaysia, Johor, Johor Bahru
Joined Aug 2014
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post

Well mine was super shonky, I did resolder the antenna as it looked like a 2 year old has soldered it on, flew it once after that showed signs of improved range but then the D4R-II arrived and its a completely different class of product.

Quote:
JohnW, thanks for the heads up, I've seen the DR4-II but it's rather pricey.
Well it is and it isn't, its a lot cheaper than losing or smashing your flying machine.

You don't necessarily need a D4R-II unless you're building a 250 or smaller quad but its going to run $60 or $70 for the module and RX combined, an Orange setup would be cheaper.

$120 for what is a best in class feature set is an absolute steal when you compare it to equivalently spec'd big brand manufacturers and if/when you want a Taranis upgrade you can just move the parts over.
JohnW78 is offline Find More Posts by JohnW78
Old Feb 25, 2015, 04:41 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,704 Posts
You guys are complaining about the frsky prices? A few years ago most of us wouldn't even dream to get in the hobby. Only after the chinese came into play everybody can afford a model, which I'm not sure it is a good thing for some other reasons..
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Feb 25, 2015, 08:09 AM
is always breaking stuff :D
United States, MI, Charter Twp of Clinton
Joined Dec 2014
200 Posts
I'm sure we all hear you on that.
Crash Override is offline Find More Posts by Crash Override
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:38 PM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
930 Posts
ER9X Manual Makers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
Me and Nigel. Glad you guys enjoy it. Yes it was a lot of work. 4 months of it. Few hundred emails...

Awesome you two.
I'm nominating you guys for a medal.
Something they give for going above and beyond the call of duty.
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:39 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW78 View Post
Well mine was super shonky.
I should have worded my comment differently. I wasn't trying to say your opinion was wrong or unjustified. By "contested" I meant that many share your opinion while many don't. And I think you nailed the reason: inconsistent built quality.
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:45 PM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
A few years ago most of us wouldn't even dream to get in the hobby. Only after the chinese came into play everybody can afford a model..

100% correct.
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam