HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2015, 08:13 AM
micro- modding madman
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
665 Posts
Cool
The ultimate 'Perma Hinge'- No more foam hinges!

Now this may be something common or not so common- but pretty much all of the ultra micros utilize foam-and-tape style hinges from the control surfaces.

Now these hinges, predominantly the one on the rudder, have a tendency to break after a long time of use, and that can cause the control surface to be offset or respond weird to control inputs.

This might not happen to you- but for those of you for whom the foam hinge breaking is a regular occurrence, you know how frustrating it can be.

I used an old rudder to test out how to create a 'perma hinge' that eliminated the old foam hinge and made a solid and durable hinge in its place.

Here we go:

I started by attaching the UM shrink tubing to the vertical stab, one piece on the high side and one piece on the low side. Then I took the hinge spar and slid it through the shrink tubing. Under the hinge spar I had tape, which I then folded onto the rudder. The tape also serves to prevent the hinge spar from falling out of the shrink tubing.
Julezwatts is offline Find More Posts by Julezwatts
to remove ads between posts