HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2015, 01:28 PM
Canada, BC, Castlegar
Joined May 2014
530 Posts
Rant
Flat versus Curved ?

Gentlemen :

I have been constructing foamboard models for over a year now and have quite a few of them still around . The ULTIMATE biplane is my fave . Working in foam was a hobby saving transition for me due to the price for the materials . However :

Flat versus curved models is always a fight for me . I am looking for a set of plans for a Pfalz DIIIa or a SWOOSE seaplane to build up in foam . These models would be short changed if done in foam board as to their gorgeous designs . Since scratch building my V22 Ospreys (refer to my blog) , cutting multiple curved fuselage pieces is extremely easy to do and results in models that are rivalled by the foam injected 'factory' types . Flat foamies are alright for 'quick and dirty' builds and DO FLY , but their looks can be easily overlooked . There is something to be said for the more 'real looking' 3D curvy ones in my opinion . I personally loathe the profile types . Why more of 3D curvier type of designs are not posted here is a question that bugs me .

Anyway , that's my rant . Don't misunderstand me though ; "I LOVE foam ! " and will probably be scratch building the stuff until I croak .

Regards to all of the builders and flyers : RickC_RCAV8R
RickC_RCAV8R is offline Find More Posts by RickC_RCAV8R
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Data Sniping ?
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2015, 01:49 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
14,408 Posts
Armin wing section ?, even the KFm section can't really be called a flat plate.

Just build bigger a do a 'built up' foam wing, selecting whatever airfoil section you want to try.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 19, 2015, 02:28 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
3,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC_RCAV8R View Post
Gentlemen :

I have been constructing foamboard models for over a year now and have quite a few of them still around . The ULTIMATE biplane is my fave . Working in foam was a hobby saving transition for me due to the price for the materials . However :

Flat versus curved models is always a fight for me . I am looking for a set of plans for a Pfalz DIIIa or a SWOOSE seaplane to build up in foam . These models would be short changed if done in foam board as to their gorgeous designs . Since scratch building my V22 Ospreys (refer to my blog) , cutting multiple curved fuselage pieces is extremely easy to do and results in models that are rivalled by the foam injected 'factory' types . Flat foamies are alright for 'quick and dirty' builds and DO FLY , but their looks can be easily overlooked . There is something to be said for the more 'real looking' 3D curvy ones in my opinion . I personally loathe the profile types . Why more of 3D curvier type of designs are not posted here is a question that bugs me .

Anyway , that's my rant . Don't misunderstand me though ; "I LOVE foam ! " and will probably be scratch building the stuff until I croak .

Regards to all of the builders and flyers : RickC_RCAV8R
It's all a matter of whether or not the looks matter to you . For me , I don't care if a plane is airfoil or flat wing , as long as it FLIES beautifully !

Here is one of the most beautiful flights I've seen - with completely flat wings !

F3P demo in Leipzig by Donatas Pauzuolis (6 min 55 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Jan 19, 2015, 03:16 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,156 Posts
I suppose to some extent it depends if you build models to look at or to fly. Being brought up on C/L models profile fuselages are second nature to me (and fly perfectly well). But that's for sports models.

If you think you're building a scale model then it has to have a fuselage the right shape or it's at best a crude cartoon. A Pfalz or for that matter a Spitfire just looks completely stupid as a profile model with all the bits hanging in the wind and slab-sided ones aren't much better. But if you haven't seen quite a few proper shaped foamies around you've just not been looking hard enough. There are plenty out there.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jan 19, 2015, 06:09 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,933 Posts
LOCKEY or Perth AU does an excellent job of bending all the bits necessary
on his foamys .
If you have the patience to build rounded foamys then he has some nice choices.

Re airfoils:
I used to be religious about foils sections and still "believe" when used on the heavier scale models.
IMHO , Foamys for fun only need to sport flat foils.
With the power to weight ratios that we have at our disposal
I have lost my Airfoil Religion
especially when it comes to the more disposable foamy designs.
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 19, 2015, 08:05 PM
Canada, BC, Castlegar
Joined May 2014
530 Posts
The Donatas video above is incredible ! Defying gravity most of the flight . I'm stumped .

Perhaps my lack of skills with the proper bending of the foamboard to make airfoils is the frustration demonstrated in this rant . I have the multi-curved fuselage work nailed though .

THe wing technique shown is one that I have used before . I like it as it flies really nice .

Thanx guys .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2015, 08:19 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,574 Posts
Quote:
The Donatas video above is incredible ! Defying gravity most of the flight . I'm stumped .
Thanx guys .
EXTREMELY light wing loading ! Did you notice the coaxial motor/props ? The motor is parallel to ( but out in front of ) the pitch axis , so no torque roll - maybe just a little torque pitch ?

Al
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:24 PM
Canada, BC, Castlegar
Joined May 2014
530 Posts
BOC :

Yes , I caught the coaxials right away . What caught my eye later on were the presence of the clear triangular constructs on the wings . Spoilers of some type , I wager . An amazing design that I would love to try out . F3A type flying used to be my thing . Flying those patterns with a bird like this would be a dream come true for me . Can't get over the lack of speed and downward momentum exhibited .

How is the weather at the coast ? Lotsa snow here . (North of Spokane over the border)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:19 AM
Joined Aug 2010
3,574 Posts
Quote:
BOC :

Yes , I caught the coaxials right away . What caught my eye later on were the presence of the clear triangular constructs on the wings . Spoilers of some type , I wager . An amazing design that I would love to try out . F3A type flying used to be my thing . Flying those patterns with a bird like this would be a dream come true for me . Can't get over the lack of speed and downward momentum exhibited .

How is the weather at the coast ? Lotsa snow here . (North of Spokane over the border)
I'm no expert , but I believe the wing triangles act as drag brakes to maintain the slow constant speed when the plane is going straight down . I'm MESMERIZED by that type of flying !

Rain , rain and more rain here - makes everything green and pretty , though ! Freshly fallen snow is also really beautiful - had plenty when we spent some time in Moscow , Idaho , south of Spokane .

Al