SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:21 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Furcolow
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,587 Posts
Tell him you'll take it, and we'll get it picked up somehow later. That's the ultimate small DS rocket!
Mike Furcolow is offline Find More Posts by Mike Furcolow
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2015, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by chris country
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
874 Posts
OH BOY, just got off the phone with the seller of the D-80 and it's mine. I am stoked and a little scared...never had so much bling in the air.
Guys, I have to sell my carbon Spider 2.5 to fund this. If any of you are interested, please let me know, otherwise it's going on the chopping block here. I can send pics if interested. I will be asking $600 from one of ya'll and a little more for folks I don't know. It has been carbon socked very nicely but also a few repairs. Has ballast and is a great all round ship.
Cheers, Chris
chris country is offline Find More Posts by chris country
Old Apr 24, 2015, 05:48 PM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,587 Posts
Way to go, Chris! You now own one of the best DS ships ever! State of the art build for strength and speed. It's not rock-proof, but certainly rock-resistant. I know you'll enjoy it, They're real frontside rockets, too........
Old Apr 24, 2015, 05:53 PM
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
874 Posts
I can't wait Mike. I figured I'd have at least one high end ship like this while I am still so gung-ho about this hobby. I am going to take me sweet time doing a clean build on her.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by snakecrew
weisenflymanheimer
Crested Butte, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,308 Posts
yeah a carbon strewn field comes to mind
snakecrew is offline Find More Posts by snakecrew
Old Apr 24, 2015, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by EdSoars
Salida, Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
978 Posts
What a bummer. I just finished supper with friends, drove up to the Tenderfoot Bowl and tossed out the Talus wing and flew like crazy for 15 minutes impressing EVERYONE with half-pipes, Immelmans, loops, rolls, high-speed inverted passes, then finished off by stuffing the wing into the ground (INTENTIONALLY!!!) without damage, then drove down and had dessert.

Little did I know that with a lam film-covered EPP homebrew wing, I couldn't actually be having fun. I MUSTacquire a model airplane with a HUGE carbon footprint. Global warming and the environment be dammed...up.
Carbon uber alles.

Ed
EdSoars is offline Find More Posts by EdSoars
Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
874 Posts
Ed, I can't believe you're not willing to spend an extra $1000 to get that whistling sound, HAh!

I love the low pressure of flying my cheaper stuff at dubious slopes, getting too close to the ground and objects, and taking a chance on distant thermals but...the adrenaline of throwing off something heavy and expensive also keeps my heart racing for this hobby. Don't know what to say bout the carbon footprint though...guilty fer sure. Does the fact I commute to work on my bike offset the footprint?
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,587 Posts
Even driving a Prius won't change what the Chinese are pumping out every day.

I'm old; I'm getting my share of the fossil fuels before they're all gone. If that means flying a faster carbon airplane, I guess I'll just have to endure that guilt.

I know what you mean, Chris, about tossing that high-dollar plane out into an uncertain wind......

And I promise I'll never drive a Prius, at least not in public.
Last edited by Mike Furcolow; Yesterday at 09:55 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM
Find More Posts by snakecrew
weisenflymanheimer
Crested Butte, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,308 Posts
carbon is the basis of all life , there will be new lifeforms developing soon just as soon as you seed the hillside
snakecrew is offline Find More Posts by snakecrew
Old Today, 05:07 AM
Find More Posts by EdSoars
Salida, Colorado
Joined Sep 2002
978 Posts
Actually, putting carbon into a high performance sailplane IS a new life form!

Yes, Chris, cycling to work buys you lots of carbon credits. I cycled to work in Denver, about 30% of the work days, 7 to 15 miles each way, for 22 years. Then I REALLY got serious about my carbon footprint and just quit working. Beat that! Hmmmm, come to think about it, doing that quit-working thing may have something to do with my lack of budget for high-carbon sailplanes.
EdSoars is offline Find More Posts by EdSoars