Find More Posts by Alotoffoamies
Need more white gorrilla glue.
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Feb 2015
133 Posts
Discussion
Glue question, first time building kit

Hey all!

I have bought and repaired plenty of foamies, but in the next few weeks, I will be putting together my first kit. The kit is an older Kyosho prop jet that is mostly white foam with a lexan? canopy and wing landing pods/protectors, and balsa wood electronics/servo/fuselage support pieces.

I don't have a hobby shop very close to me. For most of my foamie repairs, I use white gorilla glue, and I love it, besides that it foams out and runs out of seams. Great for repairs, sucks for a new model.

I also use 2 part, 5 minute epoxy for plastic to foam or wood to foam repairs.

My question is, what glue(s) should I use to build this kit for the plastic, wood, and foam, THAT is readily available at lowes, home depot, walmart, etc... I would like actual brands/types, not the chemical names.... lol.

Also, question about painting. I have a few airbrushes, and have been trying out 50/50 acrylic and Windex paint. Not sure I like that too much, doesn't seem to stick to the foam as good as I want.

Any paint suggestions that will work well in an (amateur painter) airbrush, that sticks better to foam? I don't really like the colors of the heavy stickers that came with the jet.

THANK YOU!
Alotoffoamies is offline Find More Posts by Alotoffoamies
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2015, 10:14 PM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Ground Penetration Tester
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
6,160 Posts
White foam? What kind of white foam? Beer cooler foam, coroplast, depron, etc.?

The type of foam determines the glue you should use. You could use Foam Tack, Foam Safe CA, Gorilla glue, and others.

As far as painting, the paint that works on lexan will almost always melt foam. If the lexan is for the canopy then you can get what is called canopy glue for that or use the Foam Tack to hold it to the foam.

Safe paints are Boyds, Testors, Model Masters, Tamiya ( my favorite ) and generally will not eat most foams. Be careful with Pactra though. There are a thousand threads on painting foam here so do a search on the forum and you will find numerous suggestions about painting foam.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2015, 02:07 AM
Find More Posts by Alotoffoamies
Need more white gorrilla glue.
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Feb 2015
133 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I will check out what kind of foam it is tomorrow.

And I must be doing something wrong, or the search function here really stinks... lol
Alotoffoamies is offline Find More Posts by Alotoffoamies