SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 09, 2014, 04:11 PM
Molon Labe
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
716 Posts
Question
First Airliner?

Hi guys, I am interested in building an airliner. I have been building foamies for several years, and would like to try my hand at something new. I have seen so many different techniques here, that I am quite unsure of where to start. I would like to start with something small and simple, probably using 50mm fans. Any help on construction metheods, (eg. hotwire cutting, making wings and fuselages out of depron and mounting mtors) would be appreciated, as well as any ideas of a relatively easy plane to start with, like a 737 or something.
Thanks!
NG
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2014, 08:15 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoplanes View Post
Hi guys, I am interested in building an airliner. I have been building foamies for several years, and would like to try my hand at something new. I have seen so many different techniques here, that I am quite unsure of where to start. I would like to start with something small and simple, probably using 50mm fans. Any help on construction metheods, (eg. hotwire cutting, making wings and fuselages out of depron and mounting mtors) would be appreciated, as well as any ideas of a relatively easy plane to start with, like a 737 or something.
Thanks!
NG
Yes indeed an A320 or 737 would be a great build indeed.
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2014, 08:22 PM
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,996 Posts
I would recommend anything with tail-mounted EDFs such as an MD-80 because the wings are less complicated (no pylons).
WAGliderGuy is online now Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Jun 09, 2014, 08:28 PM
Molon Labe
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
716 Posts
Any ideas on size? I was thinking around 55" WS for 2 50mm edfs. Also, has anyone made any plans for an airliner?
Old Jun 09, 2014, 08:31 PM
Airliner Builder
Joined Feb 2010
1,996 Posts
The problem with airliners is that the wings tend to be small so I would shoot for at least a 50'' wingspan which equates to a 60'' ish fuselage depending on the model. If you build light and fly off a paved strip 50mm is probably fine. Check out Sergey's TU-134, he is using those size fans and his building techniques are light.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:01 AM
Molon Labe
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
716 Posts
Thanks!!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:42 AM
Molon Labe
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
716 Posts
I am probably going with a A319/A320, about 55" WS. The size will probably change, because I just found a nice scale set of oleos! http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...in_Trike_.html

Any ideas on a suitable set of retracts for these?
Last edited by addictedtoplanes; Jun 10, 2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:38 PM
Joined Jun 2014
2 Posts
i want to know,Any ideas on a suitable set of retracts for these? thanks
jinmairangs is offline Find More Posts by jinmairangs
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:14 PM
Airliner Builder
Joined Feb 2010
1,996 Posts
E-Flite has a great line of electric retracts that come with plenty of hardware. I've been using three of their 10-15 retracts in my airliners and they work every time. I tried the less $$ hobbyking ones and I had some serious connection issues (some units went down before others or didn't retract at all).
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:54 PM
United States, NY, Kings
Joined Feb 2006
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy View Post
E-Flite has a great line of electric retracts that come with plenty of hardware. I've been using three of their 10-15 retracts in my airliners and they work every time. I tried the less $$ hobbyking ones and I had some serious connection issues (some units went down before others or didn't retract at all).
I like Freewing (on my EF2000 Typhoon) ones more than both HK and Eflite. Eflite were brittle, HK (at least those similar to Eflite) were finicky and did not like sharing the same channel.
SergeyK is offline Find More Posts by SergeyK