HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Kauz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:41 AM
Somewhere in the Black Forest
Joined Oct 2009
465 Posts
Build Log
Powering up the "Owl"

Since I'm flying this model I always had the wish for more power. Nowadays brushless motors became much more cheaper and affordable and so I was searching for a solution to equip the Heinkel with two of them without having to do a major surgery on a ready built model. I finally found a solution that was simple to do and yet optical not to disturbing the overall appearance of my nightfighter.
The photos clearly show what I did and it was a real success
I'm using 10x6" propellers that provide a lot of thrust while having a static current of about 22Amps. She now behaves completely different and the overall performance is way better than ever. From the second flight on I had to switch to folding props, because one of the rigid propellers broke on the first landing. The diameter is now to large to use such types.
This new setup is very economic also, as I can achieve long flight times using 3-S 2200's Turnigy batteries. The first testflights lasted around seven minutes and I could recharge between 810- 840mAh's. So there's still plenty of reserve to stay longer in the air.
And now some photos of the "rebuild".

Frank
Kauz is offline Find More Posts by Kauz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Kauz; Jan 16, 2013 at 09:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:40 PM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
811 Posts
Hope to see a video of the heinkle in action. Looks great Frank!
mustangloyd is offline Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:01 PM
Airplane Nut
United States, CA, Ramona
Joined Oct 2008
18 Posts
Remember to disconnect the power wire from one of the ESCs before connecting to your reciever, otherwise your ESC's BEC circuits could burn out as well as taking out your reciever.
OldeWolfe is offline Find More Posts by OldeWolfe
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:09 PM
Joined Oct 2009
465 Posts
No need to be worried about that. I'm an experienced modeler and did of course disconnect the power wire from one of the ESC's, otherwise the Heinkel wouldn't have survived the flights I've had with her so far ;-)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Albatros DV.a....the third ;-)
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:22 AM
Joined Oct 2009
465 Posts
Latest update: I exchanged the 10x6 Graupner folding props to Aeronaut 10.5x6 ones. The larger diameter and the wider blades now provide even more thrust. At WOT it's very hard to hold that model firm enough before releasing it into the air
I still have about 1/2 inch room before the tips of the blades touch the fuselage's sidewalls, maybe I'll give two 12x6 ones a try....

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Albatros DV.a....the third ;-)