New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2015, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by nano cup
Bryson Ca.
Joined Feb 2010
83 Posts
Discussion
stupid question?????

Wheel weights?Trying to get my road program up to speed,for the Nats. in Oct.. So whats the deal with wheel weights, what are they for and what do they actually do?????? Thanks RichT.
nano cup is offline Find More Posts by nano cup
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2015, 11:29 PM
Find More Posts by DLAWW
DLAWW
Socal
Joined Dec 2005
927 Posts
Wheel weights add stability.
DLAWW is online now Find More Posts by DLAWW
Old Aug 02, 2015, 01:24 AM
Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,512 Posts
Heavier wheel = more stable at low speeds less steering at high speeds
Lighter wheel = less stable at low speed more steering at high speed
Adjust geometry to compensate
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Aug 02, 2015, 09:01 PM
Find More Posts by nano cup
Bryson Ca.
Joined Feb 2010
83 Posts
Steep Learning Curve

I see, Do you run heavy/light in sets, or can you mix them up? And do you ever run with out them? Thanks again Rich T.
nano cup is offline Find More Posts by nano cup
Old Aug 02, 2015, 11:46 PM
Find More Posts by grymg
RCMCC.tripod.com
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2003
2,514 Posts
In my experience this is a difficult question to answer. I know you don't want to hear "try it yourself and see" but that really is the trick.

I think Stelios posted one time an observation of the top drivers in regards to wheel weights. Some ran none, others heavier in front, others heavier in back. Just like steering setup and suspension setup everyone has a different preference. It really has to suit your driving style. There is no one answer.

Sometimes you have a driving style and you modify your bike to suit it. Sometimes you don't have a driving style and so you mod your bike until you are comfortable with it.

Going back to your first question, it is much easier to add weights to the light wheels than to subtract weight from the heavier wheels so that's how I started.
grymg is offline Find More Posts by grymg
Old Aug 03, 2015, 04:01 AM
Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,512 Posts
Heavy rear wheel reduces steering especially if the front wheel is heavy as well. So the best place to start is to get the rear wheel to grip on the surface your driving on very well. Then dial is steering and responsiveness. Front grip is usually easy to acheive its rear grip thats tough to get tuned.
Small tight tracks you might like more stability because the speeds are low so use a heavier front wheel. Larger flowing tracks you may like a lighter wheel because the wheel speeds are high therefore more gyroscopic effect.
So yes trial and error is the way to go but you should get used to the stock set up first then adjust from there so you have a baseline. When lost you just go back to the baseline.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro