SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2013, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by fastfwd
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Discussion
realflight vs phoenix

I have this real flight 6.5 simulator,i am wondering if the newest Phoenix is as good or better than my real flight ? Anyone out there tried both ?
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2013, 04:12 PM
Find More Posts by jstern429
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Dec 2009
129 Posts
I have Phoenix and love it, but have not used Real Flight much other than in hobby shops. What made me choose Phoenix over Real Flight is that anything new they come up with is an automatic download (meaning FREE), with Real Flight you have to purchase there expansion packs. I purchased Phoenix way back in like version 2 and has been updated over the years as they improved the sim for free. I think they are about the same and seem to be the top of the line as sim's go.
jstern429 is offline Find More Posts by jstern429
Old Oct 23, 2013, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by CF105
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,764 Posts
I have both, and use both.

RF seems to have better physics. No sim can ever be an exact mirror of what happens in the real world, but I'd say RF is closer to reality. It also has a much wider selection of aircraft, even right out of the box. Phoenix seems limited to only Horizon-related aircraft... and does not even keep up with current models.

I like both of them, but RF seems to be the better of the two. As always, YMMV.
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Oct 23, 2013, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by slipstick
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,568 Posts
Strangely enough this gets discussed a lot in the Simulators forum http://www.rcgroups.com/simulators-172/

I like Phoenix but then I haven't tried the very latest RF.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Oct 23, 2013, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by yorkiepap
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
722 Posts
I also have both....like them each for what they are & fly Phoenix one night & RF6.5 the next. I like the really great mix of fields/sites.

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:24 PM
Find More Posts by bobly
Joined Sep 2010
4,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstern429 View Post
I have Phoenix and love it, but have not used Real Flight much other than in hobby shops. What made me choose Phoenix over Real Flight is that anything new they come up with is an automatic download (meaning FREE), with Real Flight you have to purchase there expansion packs. I purchased Phoenix way back in like version 2 and has been updated over the years as they improved the sim for free. I think they are about the same and seem to be the top of the line as sim's go.
I thought that back when I bought my Phoenix, but that's not really the real picture. Phoenix additional planes are free alright, but they have come out with a total of about 3 in the 2 years I have had it. I then bought Realflight and found that there are almost unlimited numbers of different planes available for free on the swap pages. I have almost every one of the planes I fly outside loaded in my computer also. If any model is even remotely popular, there is going to be a version or two or three available for realflight.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by fastfwd
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Thank you for the input. curiosity is satisfied now. Ill stick with my RF
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:50 PM
Find More Posts by grimbeaver
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,385 Posts
I had both and recently sold my Phoenix because I would never use it. Also the updates got painfully slow to download as their only server is in the UK. I do think the RF physics are a bit better. But the biggest thing for me was the convince of the interlink. It's always there connected to my pc so if I wanted to fly for a short while I would just pick that up rather then go find my transmitter.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Nov 08, 2013, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by tmulligan
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
865 Posts
I use both. They each have their own strengths. I'm not convinced one is better than the other. What I do like about Phoenix is that they have most of the planes I fly and they give free updates. RealFlight may have slightly better physics. For me, which ever one has the planes I need to learn is the one I'm going to buy. In truth, you can't go wrong with either.
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan
Old Nov 12, 2013, 07:33 AM
Find More Posts by teoknight
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
Has anyone heard if the team behind Phoenix is going to release an update or new version? It seems like they will lose a lot of people now that RF7 is out.

One other question: I know Phoenix has "official" models for eFlite, ParkZone, etc, but are the user created models developed in RF similar or are they more realistic than their "official" Phoenix counterpart?
teoknight is offline Find More Posts by teoknight
Old Nov 12, 2013, 09:31 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,385 Posts
Phoenix doesn't follow the same release schedule as RealFlight. But you are right v4 has been out for quite a while. Just looked back and it was Feb 2012 that they released v4, wow a few more months and it will have been 2 years.

I honestly wonder what the future for Phoenix will be. I have a feeling Horizon will be pushing for v5 to be a paid upgrade. They gotta be seeing the money they are missing out on.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 09:45 AM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
I didn't realize it had been that long since V4 was released. I'm looking to jump into the hobby and I figured a simulator would be the best way. It sounds like overall RealFlight is the better simulator(support, updates, custom content) of the two. I just would hate to get RF and then see some feature I like in Phoenix more.

The main reason I was considering Phoenix is the DX 5e that comes with it. I'd like to get a Tx I can use on planes and helis outside of the simulator. My understanding is that Spektrum is far supported than Tactic, so I hesitate to get the new RF7 with the Tactic. I thought I if I don't get Phoenix, I might go with RF7 with the Interlink interface and get a DX5e separately. Once I feel confident in my abilities, I can jump up to a DX6i. Thoughts?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:16 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,385 Posts
I doubt there's going to be some overly fantastic feature in Phoenix that is going to make you regret getting RealFlight. Both at the core will help you advance your skills and that is the important part.

Now that RealFlight has the interface edition you can much more easily use any radio you want. In my opinion the DX5e is a pretty worthless TX that you will outgrow very fast. The Tactic TTX600 is not much better. Something with model memory, expo and adjustable dual rates will be well worth the money. I bought a 4 channel Futaba with my first model and turned around and bought a Hitec Auora9 a month later when I got my second model. Everyone is going to tell you spend the money once not twice except the guy trying to sell you both

As for Spektrum vs Tactic it all depends what you plan to do. If you are thinking mostly BNF stuff then Spektrum has a lot of BNF stuff out but on the other hand Great Planes is releasing quite a few Tx-Ready planes and helis for the Tactic SLT protocol. In terms of technical support they will both be well backed by their manufacturers.

The best advice I can give you is use what others around you use as that makes it much easier to get help.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:17 AM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
I think I'll spend a little more and get something like a DX6i. Is that the best beginner, programmable Tx? I guess if I want to buy a Tx-R plane or heli I can always just get the AnyLink adapter.

Thanks again for your input!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by tmulligan
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoknight View Post
I think I'll spend a little more and get something like a DX6i. Is that the best beginner, programmable Tx? I guess if I want to buy a Tx-R plane or heli I can always just get the AnyLink adapter.

Thanks again for your input!
You definitely want to get a transmitter that has memory to handle multiple planes and is programmable. When I started, I got a starter transmitter with each of my planes (RTF packages). I then got a Tactic transmitter with a 20 model memory. I no longer use those starter transmitters. I wish I had bought one good programmable transmitter with multi model memory as a first step.

Just be careful, each transmitter only works with its own receivers (eg, a Tactic transmitter will not bind to a Spektrum receiver). I also made this mistake until I learned.

Right now, I have 20 planes on a single Tactic transmitter. I've been very pleased. But, you can't go wrong with Spektrum or Futaba or any of the other reputable manufacturers.
tmulligan is offline Find More Posts by tmulligan