New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2015, 09:15 PM
Find More Posts by creapyd
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,381 Posts
Landing gear repair

Ripped the landing gear off my slick last weekend.

Fabricated new 1/8" doubler for the broken bulkhead. Replaced busted landing gear prongs with new 1/4" prongs. and replaced broken sheeting.

Should be stronger than ever.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2015, 02:18 AM
Find More Posts by Late99
Finland
Joined Aug 2013
271 Posts
Looks good!

Any idea / hints whether HK is going to phase out Slick 360? I've been watching a bit on the stock and they've removed basically all the variants from the site than those they have stock in some specific warehouse.

For example: You can't find blue Slick 360 in euro warehouse anymore at all. And if I watch my order history it says "Product discontinued" on my (blue) Slick...

I noticed also that they've come up with new Typhoon... Looks like kind of Yak-54 copy, but with a very ugly color scheme, narrow fuse and streamlined cowl.
Late99 is offline Find More Posts by Late99
Old Jul 27, 2015, 06:05 AM
Find More Posts by Hoverin
3D apprentice
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late99 View Post
Looks good!

Any idea / hints whether HK is going to phase out Slick 360? I've been watching a bit on the stock and they've removed basically all the variants from the site than those they have stock in some specific warehouse.

For example: You can't find blue Slick 360 in euro warehouse anymore at all. And if I watch my order history it says "Product discontinued" on my (blue) Slick...

I noticed also that they've come up with new Typhoon... Looks like kind of Yak-54 copy, but with a very ugly color scheme, narrow fuse and streamlined cowl.
Blue one has been scrubbed from Aus warehouse too. The Slick must have got popular, I remember paying about $127 odd for my last one and now they're $205. Lol. I hope I don't write mine off.... Won't be buying another, with postage it puts it up there with local hobby shop prices...
Hoverin is online now Find More Posts by Hoverin
Old Jul 27, 2015, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by Budock Steve
United Kingdom, Falmouth
Joined Jun 2015
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverin View Post
Hi Steve, you can set it up a little heavier than some of us have here for sport flying and yes it is very aerobatic. Possibly a good third or fourth plane. Regards
Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking of setting one up with about 300-400 watts on 3s and as I progress use 4s to increase this closer to 600 watts. I am flying a 4 channel trainer at the moment and would like to buy the Slick before they disappear but not if I wont be able to fly it. What do you think to this possibility?
Steve
Budock Steve is offline Find More Posts by Budock Steve
Old Jul 27, 2015, 07:47 AM
Find More Posts by Hoverin
3D apprentice
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budock Steve View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking of setting one up with about 300-400 watts on 3s and as I progress use 4s to increase this closer to 600 watts. I am flying a 4 channel trainer at the moment and would like to buy the Slick before they disappear but not if I wont be able to fly it. What do you think to this possibility?
Steve
Even if you grab it now and put away for later. It may be a little much for you atm, and at 3-400 watts would be awful. I'm sure some others could chime in here and offer suggestions for an in between plane? Then I would move to a foamy aerobatic plane to get the hang of extreme surfaces and maneuverability. You'll regret going straight to the Slick as it may not end well.
Hoverin is online now Find More Posts by Hoverin
Old Jul 27, 2015, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by creapyd
Prefectionist
Joined Mar 2007
1,381 Posts
As a sport plane she flys fine on 300-400 watts. Set throws at about 1/4 " each direction for all but rudder and 1/2" for rudder and the slick becomes a very docile sport plane. But yeah, i wouldn't go from 4 channel trainer to the slick. Something in between would be wise.

Mine is setup for all out 3d, but my flying buddies is setup as a sport flyer on 3s 2200mah batteris with a 1000kv motor and 12x8 prop. plenty of power for sport flying.

Quote:
Steve
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Jul 27, 2015, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by SnapRoller
Joined May 2012
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverin View Post
Glad your happy with it SR. It's not the best at pop tops and I'm not sure what you expect from a plane but I get a couple rotations with mine when done right. And crankshafts are awesome. Had the club ooohing and aaahing yesterday :-)
After some getting used to I have to say yes, crankshafts are GREAT!
I just want people to be aware what they have to do to get a really good 3D machine out of this:
Upgrade Surface linkages (!), CF push rods and ball links
Bigger rudder
CF landing gear if you harrier land and use wood props
Shortening motor box for most motors if you want minimal spinner gap.

Beside the CF gear I have all this on mine.
It can all be done more or less easily with the help of this thread (thanks to Hoverin even the rudder job is explained in all detail). It just takes time!
SnapRoller is online now Find More Posts by SnapRoller
Last edited by SnapRoller; Jul 27, 2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 09:45 AM
Joined May 2012
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
Ripped the landing gear off my slick last weekend.

Fabricated new 1/8" doubler for the broken bulkhead. Replaced busted landing gear prongs with new 1/4" prongs. and replaced broken sheeting.

Should be stronger than ever.
Very nice job creapyd!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 09:47 AM
United Kingdom, Falmouth
Joined Jun 2015
4 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. As my intermediate plane would you think an e flite Pulse 25e would be a good choice?
Steve
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:09 AM
Joined May 2012
270 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. As my intermediate plane would you think an e flite Pulse 25e would be a good choice?
Steve
It depends on your goals. You won't learn 3D with this one. If you want to learn 3D and like Slicks, then this one is a great choice http://bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=420
It's (softly) crashable and a 3D machine! Every good 3D plane is a good sport plane at low rates.

If you want something 100% crash resistant then get one of the Telinks, I suggest the Telink extra slick:
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Telink-...xtra-Slick.htm

That's how I learned 3D:
1. Realflight (Sim on PC)
2. Telink Extra Slick
3. Skywings
4. Balsa 3D planes.

As a first, hassle free balsa 3D plane I would suggest this one: http://www.valuehobby.com/51in-sabre-x-arf.html

Fantastically stable, easy and predictable at down low 3D and inexpensive (at least in the US) with great customer support!

Learning 3D can seam frightening at first, but it is soo rewarding and fun!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by chop stiX
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,314 Posts
Great repair work late and creapyd
Steve all that has been said is correct.
If you want an awesome sport plane,another option to look at is a stick
Sticks are my cryptonight to this day.
Back in the day i learnt and went solo om a srick and had so much fun as i progressed through time
That same stick eventually saw a LG on the trurtle deck for inverted landings.
Eventually i retired it due to a glitch coming downwind inverted balls to the wall.itbhad about 1000 flights on it.so got more than my money's worth out of it.
Was the hanger 9 superstick.
Was nitro though(those were the days that electric just started appearing with brushed motors)
But i have seen a few electric sticks around that seem well made.
As said by the other guys all depending on what u want to accomplish in the future and stick to sport flying or maybe progress to 3d,but the pulse is a really well built plane and flies really well.
A mate of mine literally flies the covering off his 46 nitro size pulse.
And eventhough it has quite small control surfaces compared to that of 3d models,it can do some ridiculously fast rolling loops amd circuits.
Good luck with the search and let us know what u decide to get
But as hoverin said,getting a slick and keeping it till you get to a higher skill level and as you progress and build up confidence is not a bad idea
Think my slickerooooo is swearing at me profusely as she hasn't seen sky in about a year :/
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Jul 28, 2015, 03:41 AM
United Kingdom, Falmouth
Joined Jun 2015
4 Posts
Thanks to you all. Will update if ever make a decision!
Steve
Old Aug 01, 2015, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by TrueBuld
Joined Nov 2013
233 Posts
Did the high/larger fin upset Knife Edge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
So I taped on a depron foam extension to the rudder to create more vertical stab area:

It sure isn't pretty..... Any bets on if it cured the wing rock? You have until the video uploads to make your predictions.

Steve
Interesting experiment!
TrueBuld is offline Find More Posts by TrueBuld
Old Aug 01, 2015, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by chop stiX
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBuld View Post
Interesting experiment!
The larger rudder won't "upset " KE flight
Will only really have a slight affect on the KE coupling
Well thats my experience in playing with such experiments and my understanding
I haven't done the rudder conversion, so can't comment on that as such with the slick but the more knowledgeable peeps here can shed some more light
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Aug 01, 2015, 11:06 PM
Find More Posts by iadamz
Joined Jan 2009
268 Posts
You did a great job. The white looks separate from the rudder, still has the original look. Very nice, if that was meant to be. Lol.
iadamz is offline Find More Posts by iadamz