New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2015, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by nioa
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
741 Posts
That comes as a surprise to me too.

I have the Tacon 1.60 in a 9 foot plane with a APC 19x10E prop that is drawing almost 3400 watts on 10S. I want to prop down to about 2500 to 2700 watts. This is a crazy powerful motor!

Using this motor on 6S never occurred to me. Dangaras, what are your power readings with the Biela 18*10*3 on 6s?
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2015, 11:51 AM
Find More Posts by Dangaras
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,898 Posts
When I look at the specs, the max efficient current is 75_Amps, so the trick is always to get the power, watts/lb using V*I. Then you have to worry about the KV and the prop size that's going to be spun. That's how one ends up with so many different ESCs and wire in the stock bin.

At the end of the day I go practical and measure the current, power and thrust on the ground also understanding that the props will unload in the air.

The specs have no low end data, just the max.
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Feb 03, 2015, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by ysolomon
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
3,063 Posts
How do you know that the max efficient current is 75 amps?
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Feb 03, 2015, 05:47 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,898 Posts
It's in the data table on the hobbypartz website....

Model #: 96M608-Bigfoot-160-245Kv
Weight: 645g
Input Watts: 2700W
Outside Diameter 62.8mm
Lenght 64mm
No. of cells (lipo) 14
Max Efficiency 93%
Max Efficiency current 75
No Load Current(A) 7.4V 1.9
Internal Resistance: .0.03 ohms
Shaft Diameter 8 mm
Shaft Length 20 mm
KV (RPM/Volt) 245KV
Turns (for cars) Poles 8
Max Voltage 58
Wire Size 0.25
Bullet Connectors Yes
Bullet Connectors Size 4.0 mm
Old Feb 03, 2015, 06:09 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
3,063 Posts
Sounds like 10S would be ideal, then.
Old Feb 03, 2015, 06:18 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,898 Posts
Yeah, but....... I can't turn the 18*10*3 without cooking the ESCs and probably taking the motors way above the 75A..... What I've got now works and the props look good... I'll stay that way while I get used to her.
Old Feb 03, 2015, 07:21 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
3,063 Posts
Oh, I wasn't suggesting you change anything. I was just fascinated by the wide range of operational envelope for this motor. I think I will start with the 12S, or even 11S setup on the 16x10x3 initially.
Old Feb 03, 2015, 08:30 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Oh, I wasn't suggesting you change anything. I was just fascinated by the wide range of operational envelope for this motor. I think I will start with the 12S, or even 11S setup on the 16x10x3 initially.
No problem. I used a watts-up meter every time I "tested"my different configurations. The last 6S setup did concern me regarding the amount of current I was putting through the ESCs. Remember I run my packs in parallel so I can monitor the current to the entire setup.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by rossaer
Joined Aug 2008
612 Posts
ysolomon,
Just received the ESM F7F, and I'm starting to collect the needed parts. What motor/battery setup did you end up with? Still using the ESM landing gear?
Thanks fro any assistance.
al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
Old Apr 27, 2015, 09:42 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
3,063 Posts
I didn't finish building mine. One of these days... I'm using the Tacon Bigfoot 160 on 12S.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by 70 ragtop
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Jan 2009
725 Posts
Great motor for little $ I ran one on 12S and it screamed, ran 3 of them on 10S, and can tell you they are much happier on 10S. The KV is pretty high for 12S
70 ragtop is online now Find More Posts by 70 ragtop
Old Apr 28, 2015, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by nioa
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
741 Posts
I can second that. 10S is more suitable. See my "Valiant" blog for prop power figures.
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
Old Jul 06, 2015, 10:19 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,898 Posts
Took mind of fit the first flight out the season yesterday. Git her lined up on the geotex runway, pushed up the throttle and she was away. Nice climb out, gear retracted nicely.

Flew a good 4 minute routine with two feet life passes then dropped gear and flaps, did a great low dirty pass to verify all was well. Then did a long flat slow last circuit around the field lined up with the runway, crossed the grass threshold of the field about 3 feet of the ground 40 get from the runway and bam!!! She dropped two feet onto the grass!!!! Ffff........kkkkkkkk...

One of the mains oleos gets ripped out of the retract and she slides down the runway gently coming to rest on the edge of the geotex. She also broke one of the blades on the biela 3 board prop.. More cussing!!!!!!

I'm flying with the ESM gen 3 retracts and they are pretty solid, so I was really puzzled. Flipped her over to inspect the retract and wow!! The clamping part of the trunnion that holds the oleo has split right across the middle. The split started at the clamping nut and went right across to the other side of the clamp.

Kind of the mech engineers at the field took a look and first thing out of his mouth was " Chinese crap"!! Then he explained that looking into the crack he could see that the material was cheap cast aluminum, the worst choice for a part that takes so much abuse.

He also commented that the ESM oleo pin was not long enough and the clamp method really want sufficient specially with an oleo that was that long.

I still have to contact troybuilt but I doubt they sell parts.

I'm really bummed because the only solution is to fully disassemble the retract and have a trunnion machined and that is going to put me in the poor house.

Maybe I've got to look for someone willing to sell a broken set cheap..
I will post pictures tonight.
Old Jul 06, 2015, 03:17 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,898 Posts
Pictures of the busted retract clamp...

FYI, a TBM phone call educated me to the fact that TBM does not carry retracts any more. They have pushed everything off to Centuryjet.

So essentially one has no support for ESM retracts if you currently own them.

I am very disappointed. Don't know where to go with this so it won't cost me an arm and a leg!!!!!