Old May 01, 2015, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by IamtheWalrus
Australia, NSW, Moss Vale
Joined Jun 2013
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDreamer View Post
Anyone?

I would like to know if doing this requires wooden dowels and additional kevlar to strengthen the mount.
I've drilled three holes and inserted wooden dowels through the mount and into the foam with glue all round. I see in one of the close up's on COFPV's clips that a mount has been cut back top and sides and covered with Kevlar by the looks of it. Also noticed some Kevlar at the elevator control horn too, good idea!
IamtheWalrus is offline Find More Posts by IamtheWalrus
Old May 01, 2015, 02:18 PM
Find More Posts by jwmachon
Joined Dec 2008
484 Posts
What millimetres are people using for control throws on high and low rates
jwmachon is offline Find More Posts by jwmachon
Old May 01, 2015, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by Daemon
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamtheWalrus View Post
I've drilled three holes and inserted wooden dowels through the mount and into the foam with glue all round. I see in one of the close up's on COFPV's clips that a mount has been cut back top and sides and covered with Kevlar by the looks of it. Also noticed some Kevlar at the elevator control horn too, good idea!
Ya, that's mine. I wrapped the Kevlar around the inner corner of the wing mount, as I had seen
the foam tear there during a couple rough landings with my first SH. Never pulled the mount
off the foam, but ripped the foam from the fuse itself. And yes, the foam is shaved all the way
down to the double layered mount, to reduce drag (and noise).
Just build that new tail the day before the flight you saw in that vid. Also added another piece
of carbon ribbon across the middle of my horizontal stab as that's an area that I broke a few times
during rough landings.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
Old May 02, 2015, 12:33 AM
Joined Dec 2008
484 Posts
Test day today so idea on control throws would be great
Old May 02, 2015, 12:59 AM
Joined Jun 2013
339 Posts
FPV Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmachon View Post
Test day today so idea on control throws would be great
Hi, I basically followed FPV Colorado's build videos throws which were given in his maiden flight video and they seem to work OK, Pat.
Old May 02, 2015, 10:53 AM
Joined Dec 2008
484 Posts
Well test flew quite windy but all went OK just need to get camera looking better then all good did seem to fly sideways a bit shame no rudder
Old May 02, 2015, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by Wildewinds
Easily bored
West Covina, California
Joined Aug 2004
435 Posts
So, I got my Sky Hunter fully set up and in the sky yesterday. Here are the specs:

Motor: Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3542-800kv
ESC: Turnigy Plush 60a
Battery: Zippy 45c 5000mah 4s
Servos: Hitec HS85mg for ailerons, HS81mg for elevator
Radio System: Dragonlink V2 micro receiver
FPV Camera: Sony Effio-V 800tvl
FPV VTX: XAT 5.8ghz 600mW (Surveilzone) (temporary till my 1.3ghz setup gets here)
OSD: Eagle Tree Vector
Pan/Tilt system: Servocity SPT-200 w/ Hitec HS645mg's (overkill)
AUW (with 18.5oz 5000mah battery and GoPro): 87.6oz

I was super happy with the way it flew. I was worried about the weight, but power was more than adequate with good vertical performance and the amp draw for cruising around hovered at around 9 amps. Haven't downloaded the flight logs to see what my max amp draw was.

I'm still working on fine tuning the controls. I enjoyed flying it at max rates but I haven't programmed in any expo yet. I think that will smooth out the video quality (which is pretty shaky right now).

The Eagle Tree Vector OSD is amazing. It's my first OSD and it took me a bit of reading to really understand it, but it was actually pretty easy to set it up. The return to home function is awesome. I still have a bit to go before I really use it to its full potential.

Here's a video of my first FPV flight:
Sky Hunter 1st FPV flight (3 min 35 sec)

I had a 5 minute flight two days before to make sure that it actually flew without any OSD or FPV gear installed. The little motor mount screws stripped themselves out of the wooden motor mount mid-flight (I heard them). Landed quickly with only one screw holding the motor on. Ended up drilling out the holes in the aluminum motor mount so I could use bigger wood screws to attach it to the plane. It's nice and solid now.

My only concern right now is the durability of the wing. I have a ton of weight in the fuse and I'm worried that the joiner isn't sturdy enough for more aerobatic flying. Has anyone had any failures or done anything to make the wing stronger? I'm thinking at least some 3 mil laminate, but that doesn't strengthen the middle of the joiner.

Here are some pics. I used Flexidip (like Plastidip) spray for the color. It really adheres well to the foam. I think it adds a decent amount of durability. I guess I'll find out eventually. To mount the pan/tilt I made a plywood pod/platform thing. I think it turned out pretty well.

Wildewinds is online now Find More Posts by Wildewinds
Old May 02, 2015, 01:20 PM
Joined Dec 2008
484 Posts
My camera was a bit shaky on my flight
Old May 02, 2015, 04:00 PM
Joined Dec 2008
484 Posts
Love ur finish,may get some plastidip here in UK What's it like to work with
Old May 02, 2015, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by Wildewinds
Easily bored
West Covina, California
Joined Aug 2004
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmachon View Post
Love ur finish,may get some plastidip here in UK What's it like to work with
Super easy. Not like regular spray paint where you need to worry about drips. It spreads out over itself nicely.
Wildewinds is online now Find More Posts by Wildewinds
Old Today, 03:22 AM
Joined Jun 2013
339 Posts
Kevlar attempt No1.

Here are some pics of my fist try with the Kevlar. Not pretty but I plan on covering anyways. I used about half a square meter of Kevlar and a (1 oz) tube of thin CA. I started with scissors but changed to shears for cutting with better results. I've cut the motor mount down with my foam cutting hot wire and covered the area with Kevlar. I used a single square piece for the nose which was for me the most difficult area. I did three cuts during the application, one down the center of the nose and one from each air hole toward the nose. With practice I can see I will be employing this technique on future builds as the strength it adds seems to be substantial. Pat