SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:17 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,838 Posts
Discussion
Swist F5D build and fly 250mph+?!

I thought a build and fly thread would be good as there are alot of people talking, thinking and guessing what a modern F5D airframe can do and what it can/can't handle. The only way to solve the puzzle is ofcause to stop guessing and buying a plane my self.

With the new 10x22 props popping up here and there a goal of 250mph or more seem within reach, this goal narrows down the possible airframes to about a handfull, which on paper would fulfill the specs of beeing available in a strong show version, large fuselage with room for alot of batteries and the highest of quality.

Doing the research I found the Swist to be the only competitor left. It is available to buy, it can be orderd in a show version, it has lots of room in the fuselage and it comes very well packed. None of the other competitors could do that(!)

The Swist arrives spot on the promised date!

If you look around alot of planes have been deliverd with cracked wingtips, but not the Swist, it comes extremely well packed in a wooden box, hard to beat that!

The parts unwrapped. The quality is really high with a nice paintwork and perfectly cut control surfaces. You also get a snake for the elevator, pushrods for ailerons/flaps and a bag of hardware.

The tripple carbon wing is very stiff and will probably handle anything you can throw at it.

I will update the thread as the build goes on. If you are intrested I will post some pics from the build up of the model too from AJ Aeromodels http://www.ajaeromodels.com
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Last edited by henke; Mar 15, 2012 at 03:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:39 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Henke,
Very interesting topic!

You're obviously have put a lot of thought into your airframe so can I assume your've already sorted out what motor and gearbox you're going to use? I've already guessed it won't be a Neu.......

BTW: What size battery can you fit into the fuselage?

I'll be following closely!

Regards
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:28 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,396 Posts
^+1. Subscribed!
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:36 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
I REALLY like the box it arrived in, this will be my next F5D for sure just for the packing.... Henke, from where did you order yours ?

Very nice project by the way..... I think its possible to break 250mph, but not easy..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:43 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Henke,
Very interesting topic!

You're obviously have put a lot of thought into your airframe so can I assume your've already sorted out what motor and gearbox you're going to use? I've already guessed it won't be a Neu.......

BTW: What size battery can you fit into the fuselage?

I'll be following closely!

Regards
Peter
Hi Peter,

I have a bunch of packs laying around and just for fun I droped in a Hyperion 5S 4400mAh, a little bit too big, but almost. (and not enough voltage)

I'm not sure a gearbox will be needed, we'll see.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:45 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
I REALLY like the box it arrived in, this will be my next F5D for sure just for the packing.... Henke, from where did you order yours ?

Very nice project by the way..... I think its possible to break 250mph, but not easy..
Yeah, the packaging was the best I have ever seen. I orderd it from AJ Aeromodel with the customisations I wanted, 1 piece wing, flaps and "show version"
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:51 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Yes, no need for a gearbox, a front mounted outrunner would be the way to go like a Speedcup model: http://www.powercroco.de/fliegerspeed.html

It will be interesting to see how the flaps and split ailerons handle 402kph too!

Good luck and please keep us updated with plenty of photos of your build.

Regards
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:28 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Yes, no need for a gearbox, a front mounted outrunner would be the way to go like a Speedcup model: http://www.powercroco.de/fliegerspeed.html

It will be interesting to see how the flaps and split ailerons handle 402kph too!

Good luck and please keep us updated with plenty of photos of your build.

Regards
Peter
I think the its possible to get a motor/lipo/esc/prop in that plane that will do 250mph, but Im not sure the plane it self will handle it, but I like the project..

I am doing the same with my Viper, only I will be satisfied if I reach 220mph..
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:27 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,396 Posts
Henke: which size servos can be used? Will it take std. wing servos or are we looking at D60 or DS09 size?
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:29 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,838 Posts
Pictures from the manufacturing of my model which Artem and Dimitry were kind enough to provide. Even though I'm not in to moulding planes it's always fun to see how it's made. I hope you enjoy the pics

Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:30 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Henke: which size servos can be used? Will it take std. wing servos or are we looking at D60 or DS09 size?
I'm planing on fitting DS09, I will upload pics of it in a day or two
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:53 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,905 Posts
Don't overlook the Airtronics 94802:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...EARCH=airm2762

I speculate they're made by the same manufacturer as the Hyperion servos. And the Airtronics is rated for 6V.
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:29 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Joined Jan 2001
4,838 Posts
I decided to make my own controll horns as I really dislike the standard procidure of installing tiny horns and reduceing servo throws to like 50%. That's a worthless way of doing it if aiming for higher speeds, so I thought I share how I do it :-)

Ofcause there are no horns of the right shape available so I drew up new ones useing a CAD system. Once again the HAB Electronic CNC service came in handy and Tomas were kind enough to "print" my bits

If you're intrested in the HAB CNC service you just email tomas@hab.se and drop a PM to me. If you need help drawing parts I can help out if it's not too much work.

How it's done (video shows other parts, but the procidure is the same)
CNC fräsning av tankarmatur hos www.hab.se (0 min 58 sec)

The result, I also made some antenna mounts while at it.

I will use MpJet ballinks as I don't like the z-bends.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:32 AM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
I decided to make my own controll horns as I really dislike the standard procidure of installing tiny horns and reduceing servo throws to like 50%. That's a worthless way of doing it if aiming for higher speeds, so I thought I share how I do it :-)

Ofcause there are no horns of the right shape available so I drew up new ones useing a CAD system. Once again the HAB Electronic CNC service came in handy and Tomas were kind enough to "print" my bits
Gosh, that's pretty keen! I found ones I could cut down, and yes, they're from *ahem* you know where:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2pcs_bag_.html

Actually incredible value ($2.59!) and virtually indestructible... they live in my Ninja now.
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Last edited by DownUnderPilot; Mar 16, 2012 at 03:33 AM. Reason: I wish I could type.....
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:56 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnderPilot View Post
Gosh, that's pretty keen! I found ones I could cut down, and yes, they're from *ahem* you know where:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2pcs_bag_.html

Actually incredible value ($2.59!) and virtually indestructible... they live in my Ninja now.
Those are the one I am using also, you can drill the hole lower if you are afraid of thin material so high up, YES they are VERY strong and cheep..