HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2013, 01:22 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
I got your email regarding the used Rev 2.1 (we're now at Rev 2.4 but as a programmer its fine) and the missing USB. I've responded.

As far as "Mode 1" goes... the 9x ships with pretty crappy firmware. That's the whole point of getting a programmer so that you can put good firmware on it. One of the dumb mistakes the stock firmware has, is it shows "Mode 1" when they mean "Model 1". So that's just telling you that Model 1 is loaded and has nothing at all to do with the mode.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2013, 07:38 PM
Australia, VIC, Mooroolbark
Joined Mar 2013
295 Posts
Exactly, Steven - I can select up to mode8 with the factory firmware.. I guess Chinglish leaves a lot to be desired.. my introduction to the FS 9x was completely reversed to what we are used to.... + keys where normally - keys are.... I don't know how many times I tried to scroll forwards and ended up clocking back to the previous page...
Hoping to start modification with Smartieparts, backlight and eepie this week... still trying to download the software - running Windows 8 on a non touch screen laptop.. even Microsoft need a good kicking...

frats,
Rosco
rosco01 is offline Find More Posts by rosco01
Old May 12, 2013, 10:30 PM
ARMY ATC (93C)
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jan 2005
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
I got your email regarding the used Rev 2.1 (we're now at Rev 2.4 but as a programmer its fine) and the missing USB. I've responded.

As far as "Mode 1" goes... the 9x ships with pretty crappy firmware. That's the whole point of getting a programmer so that you can put good firmware on it. One of the dumb mistakes the stock firmware has, is it shows "Mode 1" when they mean "Model 1". So that's just telling you that Model 1 is loaded and has nothing at all to do with the mode.

- Steven
Thank you Steven! Much appreciated. Upgrade is installed and will program once I get the USB device. Can't wait.
mjbennett9 is offline Find More Posts by mjbennett9
Old May 15, 2013, 07:44 PM
Joined Mar 2013
295 Posts
Hi all,
can anyone tell me what name the battery connector is for this Tx - I have the LiFe battery which will plug into to Tx - but can't charge it because I don't have the female connector to make up a lead from my Accuccel 6 - the balance plug fits nicely though.... just need to make up a lead from the banana sockets to the battery charge lines.

frats,
Rosco
Old May 15, 2013, 08:10 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco01 View Post
Hi all,
can anyone tell me what name the battery connector is for this Tx - I have the LiFe battery which will plug into to Tx - but can't charge it because I don't have the female connector to make up a lead from my Accuccel 6 - the balance plug fits nicely though.... just need to make up a lead from the banana sockets to the battery charge lines.

frats,
Rosco
Which LiFe do you have? Can you post a link to the one you're using? Is it the orange 3S from HobbyKing that's floating around on this site? The one with 3 plugs: a balance plug, a 2-pin white plug and a "servo-like" 2 pin plug?
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Mar 2013
295 Posts
Thanks for replying, RoboHeli - yes - the HK 1,500 mAh 9.9v 1c 15 Wh LiFe battery.
It has a for pin balance plug, three pin (two used) servo lead (I suspect for JR Tx) and a white two in side finned plug for the FS Tx... it's the white side finned plug that I want a socket for - I expect these will be sold as a matched pair.
I would like to make up a banana plug - this finned plug lead for charging. The balance plug fits nicely into the Accuccel socket..

frats,
Rosco

ps - whilst we're on a roll - totally off topic - can anyone tell me what sockets/plugs are used on the WL toys V911 and also V922 micro heli's - they are different to each other and I would like to make up some leads for those as well....
Old May 15, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,900 Posts
I've got plugs for all those as well. As soon as i get back to my computer i will look them up.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2013, 09:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco01 View Post
Thanks for replying, RoboHeli - yes - the HK 1,500 mAh 9.9v 1c 15 Wh LiFe battery.
It has a for pin balance plug, three pin (two used) servo lead (I suspect for JR Tx) and a white two in side finned plug for the FS Tx... it's the white side finned plug that I want a socket for - I expect these will be sold as a matched pair.
I would like to make up a banana plug - this finned plug lead for charging. The balance plug fits nicely into the Accuccel socket..

frats,
Rosco

ps - whilst we're on a roll - totally off topic - can anyone tell me what sockets/plugs are used on the WL toys V911 and also V922 micro heli's - they are different to each other and I would like to make up some leads for those as well....
Okay, first, for the LiFe battery. I charge it with the black "servo-like" plug. I have a ThunderPower AC6 charger--which I think is identical in everything but name and packaging to your Accuccel charger...maybe?

Anyway, here's the link to what I have:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

if you look at the sets of plugs that it came with, it came with the right "servo-like" plug that can be connected to the LiFe battery. I don't know where you can buy that one separately. I guess you could make one if you found the opposite gender to the one you have. Or else you could just clip off the plug on the battery that you're NOT using to connect to your T9x and solder on the plug of your choice instead.

As for the (new style) V911 and the V922, they use this kind of plug:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18867

so all you need is a JST to banana plug adapter and you can connect this parallel cable to your charger. I think HobbyKing sells JST to banana plug adapters.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2013, 03:51 AM
Joined Mar 2013
295 Posts
Thanks again, RoboHeli - much appreciated.
I have tried to order the JR extension leads from HK, Aus warehouse - but they are on backorder..... will pick up a bunch of them when they come in.
That will fix the issue to connect the LiFe battery to the Turnigy Accuccel 6...
I will also order the suggested connectors for the 911 and 922 batteries at the same time - they are relatively cheap - I purchased some JXT ones from Jaycar yesterday - but alas - no go with the WL batteries.... couldn't remember how the tabs were arranged and didn't take a battery with me.... just stupid, I guess....

frats,
Rosco
Old May 16, 2013, 11:48 AM
Australia, NSW, Albury
Joined Jul 2010
76 Posts
Great work erazz . . . Thank you.
BUT
you didn't consider this might be attempted by 'the complete idiot' - me.
I've successfully fitted the smartieparts hardware. I've downloaded the driver & I'll get someone to show me how to install it from the zip. I've downloaded the ER9x firmware and a suggested 'There is a later version . . . .' and saved them in a file that I can find later.
I'll find a USB lead that has a plug for my smartieparts Tx socket & with a bit of luck I'll get both ends plugged in correctfully . . . .
NOW WHAT ? ? ?
see - I told you that there's complete idiots out here. lol
plasticbaldy is offline Find More Posts by plasticbaldy
Old May 16, 2013, 11:57 AM
Australia, NSW, Albury
Joined Jul 2010
76 Posts
Oh yeah - Another question.
I've got 2 Turnigy 9xs. Does this one need the Smartieparts hardware to remain on board to enable my Tx to function as an ER9x ? I didn't change to the backlit display.
I reckon I can restore this Tx to it's original state once the firmware is installed and transfer the Smartieparts to Tx #2 with a Hobbyking backlit display conversion and maybe even successfully install the Telemetry board that I also purchased from Smartieparts and leave the modification parts in Tx #2.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:09 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticbaldy View Post
Oh yeah - Another question.
I've got 2 Turnigy 9xs. Does this one need the Smartieparts hardware to remain on board to enable my Tx to function as an ER9x ? I didn't change to the backlit display.
I reckon I can restore this Tx to it's original state once the firmware is installed and transfer the Smartieparts to Tx #2 with a Hobbyking backlit display conversion and maybe even successfully install the Telemetry board that I also purchased from Smartieparts and leave the modification parts in Tx #2.
Once the er9x firmware has been loaded you can remove the SP board and use it on another Tx to upgrade the firmware on that one as well. You will end up finding this a pain if you want to upgrade the firmware to the latest version from time to time or use the eepe programming utility to simulate some complex mixes etc or backup your planes. In the end I just went ahead and purchased a few more boards for my 3 Tx's.

1 Tx has UHF long range 10 - 20 miles
2 Tx FrSky with Telemetry, medium range 1 + miles
3) TX stock rang. Less than 1 mile. I plan on migrating the stock Rx to FrSky. I like the feedback and the range.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old May 16, 2013, 12:11 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,266 Posts
Hi plasticbaldy,

I'll start with your 2nd question: You *can* do as you propose. There's no requirement that you leave the programmer in there. However, it is designed to be a permanent installation. ER9X firmware is in constant development and there are regular updates. More importantly, one of the major features of this setup is that you can change settings and configure models on your pc using EEPE and then flash them over to your tx (similarly, you can back up the models from your tx to your pc). For these two reasons, you may find that you need the programmer very regularly. Some people literally use the programmer dozens of times in a given day... so its probably not a matter of using it once and never needing it again (although that is certainly possible if you don't care about future upgrades and are OK doing all your settings using the very tedious radio controls and menus). Having to swap the programmer in and out of your radios is not only a chore... but you WILL strip out the case screw plastic eventually. So my recommendation is to get a programmer for each radio, and its not just because I want to sell you two kits I can also point you to our upgraded screw kit which at least solves the stripped plastic issue.

Now back to your first question of "what's next". Reading. Lots of reading. The best place to start is the wiki: http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

- Steven (SmartieParts guy)
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old May 16, 2013, 12:18 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Hi plasticbaldy,

I'll start with your 2nd question: You *can* do as you propose. There's no requirement that you leave the programmer in there. However, it is designed to be a permanent installation. ER9X firmware is in constant development and there are regular updates. More importantly, one of the major features of this setup is that you can change settings and configure models on your pc using EEPE and then flash them over to your tx (similarly, you can back up the models from your tx to your pc). For these two reasons, you may find that you need the programmer very regularly. Some people literally use the programmer dozens of times in a given day... so its probably not a matter of using it once and never needing it again (although that is certainly possible if you don't care about future upgrades and are OK doing all your settings using the very tedious radio controls and menus). Having to swap the programmer in and out of your radios is not only a chore... but you WILL strip out the case screw plastic eventually. So my recommendation is to get a programmer for each radio, and its not just because I want to sell you two kits I can also point you to our upgraded screw kit which at least solves the stripped plastic issue.

Now back to your first question of "what's next". Reading. Lots of reading. The best place to start is the wiki: http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

- Steven (SmartieParts guy)
I can confirm the upgraded screw kit, wish I made this the first mode. I have a voice module in my Tx and have to get inside each time I want to add another recording, the screws are a cinch to install and make pulling the radio apart nearly fun!.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old May 17, 2013, 07:13 AM
Australia, NSW, Albury
Joined Jul 2010
76 Posts
Thanks Gentlemen. I'll take your advice.
My question 'Now What ?' related to flashing procedure. OK I found the information at the bottom of the wiki link. Thank you. Wish me luck. I'm still trying to work out how to install the driver from inside the zip file that I downloaded. Was hoping to see one of the files with an exe suffix.
I read Erez Raviv's ER9x User Manual last night. Love his sense of humour and it was way too interesting to put me to sleep as he suggested it might. Head spin a couple of times towards the end but not somnolence. I'm looking forward to being able to have my roll & pitch rates change on my helis when I go to idle-up with the flip of just that one switch.