HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2010, 05:11 PM
Topsham, Me
Joined Dec 2003
448 Posts
Discussion
Little Juan autogiro FF conversion to RC

I have built the "Little Juan" free flight autogiro from the plans provided in the Ciervo 30 thread. Mine is rudder only with a brushless motor. The rotor head is fixed as in the free flight plan so there is no roll control. Before I attempt to fly it, I would like to get some responses as to how this thing might fly considering the limited controls. Any input would be appreciated. By the way, the AUW is 11 oz and the rotor blades are 11.5 inches.
ejohn is offline Find More Posts by ejohn
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2010, 06:27 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,909 Posts
John,
We had a discussion a while back about whether an autogyro could be made to turn safely with just rudder and induced coning. The conclusion was that it wasn't effective at all after a few experimental flights.
You will almost certainly need some sort of roll control on your rotor disc, all the rudder will do is yaw it and for sure it will just dive down uncontrollably.
I would suggest roll control, pitch control (either on the head or an elevator) and for certain throttle control. Saying that you may be able to control pitch with carefully playing the throttle?

I Would like to see some photos of your model?

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old May 03, 2010, 07:17 PM
Topsham, Me
Joined Dec 2003
448 Posts
Rich:

Thanks so much for the response - I just wish I had seen the post on rudder only problems. I just assumed that since the design did fly free flight that an occasional rudder command might turn the autogiro enough to be able to control it somewhat - obviously I was wrong. I am at a loss now on what to do but probably the smart thing would be to abandone this particular project. Anyway, a pic attached
Old May 03, 2010, 07:24 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
I wouldn't give up on the project since it's already built. I had considered converting a free flight autogyro that I owned many years ago to R/C. My idea was to split the elevator surface in the center, and then run each side independantly with a elevon setup. I beleive this would give you some amount of roll and pitch control. As light as the model is, it should work theoretically. It's worth a try, and better(in my humble opinion) than scrapping the project. I'm assuming you wanted to replace the rubber band motor with a small electric? How does it fly as is?

Good luck,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old May 04, 2010, 05:15 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,909 Posts
Mike,
Don't know what your thoughts are but do you think those uplifting ends to the tailplane may help rudder control?

Rich
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old May 04, 2010, 06:24 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi Rich,
I'm not sure if it would help rudder control(it may channel some of the prop wash to the tail), but it certainly helps with stability since it adds dihedral on the tail. If it were set up with seperate elevator sections with an elevon mix I dont think it would even require rudder. The little LAheli C.30 didn't have rudder until I added it. The fuselage should follow the nose nicely on a tractor setup. Pitch and roll should be easily accomplished with the elevon configuration on such a light model. It would be interesting to see if the setup I'm suggesting would work, but I think it would.

Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old May 04, 2010, 07:43 PM
Topsham, Me
Joined Dec 2003
448 Posts
I have not scrapped the Little Juan yet! Your suggestions sound interesting and I just may incorporate them - we will see. Thanks guys.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 04:00 AM
Italy, Apulia, Taranto
Joined Dec 2007
17 Posts
hello guys, I too have tried to make rc juan little, but with a completely different approach (ie, the rotor head is a head of a gyroplane parts for Chinese manufacturing, hard plastic, but if I had to redo the whole thing, would build even now that I know how to do this!)). In fact, it is much heavier and more 'zip has just the right stiffness. ), And managed to fly it, I have so many photos of the model but only this video where you see in flight

little juan (0 min 33 sec)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-c0KakLnRij...600/_n+(4).jpg
ruaanda is offline Find More Posts by ruaanda