Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 31, 2014, 05:31 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Jun 2004
185 Posts
Fredriksson this is one of the few scale type plane I have . Most RC's say you can't have to many plane , well I do have to many . A flying buddy in Socal was moving an gave me all his RCs and supply’s . 35-40 planes about 15 flyable and 25+ arf from micro to 120 size 3D . This is one that need repair . I had 20 ready to fly before the gift . My only problem is his planes are set up for Spektrum DX7 all still have rx . My radios are all JR 72 mhz . Have a look .There about 20 planes in that pile . Dan
fx-2 is offline Find More Posts by fx-2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2014, 06:50 AM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fx-2 View Post
Fredriksson this is one of the few scale type plane I have . Most RC's say you can't have to many plane , well I do have to many . A flying buddy in Socal was moving an gave me all his RCs and supply’s . 35-40 planes about 15 flyable and 25+ arf from micro to 120 size 3D . This is one that need repair . I had 20 ready to fly before the gift . My only problem is his planes are set up for Spektrum DX7 all still have rx . My radios are all JR 72 mhz . Have a look .There about 20 planes in that pile . Dan
Wow, that's a lot of planes!!! I would not have room for them.

It sounds like you need to invest in a Spektrum TX if all those planes already have Spektrum RX's in them.

Freddy
Fredriksson is online now Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Jun 07, 2014, 12:20 PM
Just having fun
Joined Feb 2008
2,084 Posts
fx-2

You got that Taylorcraft completed and in the air yet? Been waiting on a progress report.

Freddy
Old Jun 07, 2014, 03:01 PM
Joined Jun 2004
185 Posts
Well Freddy it's about ready . Just need to set up rx , it had a y connector for the ailerons . I changed that to have flaps . The weather is bad , real HOT . I should put in the air next week . I"m finishing a project I started before the TC . Well put both up next week . A sport plane with 500 watts at 45 oz . That temperature was at noon . Have a look . Dan
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:43 PM
Joined Jun 2004
185 Posts
Tc

Well Freddy I picked up a DX7 . The TC will fly very soon . Well keep you posted . Later Dan
Old Jun 19, 2014, 02:20 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,003 Posts
I'm kind-of thinking about an AS3X receiver for this plane.. Anyone have any luck installing an AR-635 or AR-636? I'm wondering how hard it will be to get the gains configured correctly?

Also I guess I might need to change servos too? I have plain ol' analog servos in there.

-J
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone 51" Sport Cub
Old Jun 19, 2014, 09:14 AM
Mile High Club
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2013
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
I'm kind-of thinking about an AS3X receiver for this plane.. Anyone have any luck installing an AR-635 or AR-636? I'm wondering how hard it will be to get the gains configured correctly?

Also I guess I might need to change servos too? I have plain ol' analog servos in there.

-J
This is what I added to my plane. Didn't have to change my AR610 r/x as that I was able to run it in-line. Works great and I didn't really have to adjust my gains much, if at all ( granted that I did turn down the gyro down to very low levels)..

RCcolorado is online now Find More Posts by RCcolorado
Old Jun 19, 2014, 09:18 PM
Just having fun
Joined Feb 2008
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Well Freddy I picked up a DX7 . The TC will fly very soon . Well keep you posted . Later Dan
I look forward to reading about your maiden.

Freddy
Old Jul 09, 2014, 02:04 AM
Joined Feb 2014
41 Posts
motor and such

About to pull the trigger on buying the Taylorcraft but since its my first ARF I wanted to make sure I picked appropriate components for this plane.

I am using Hobbyking for mostly everything and have the following picked out.

Turnigy Park 450 outrunner 1050kv http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Hobby King 30A ESC 3A UBEC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Turnigy TG9 9g servos

Turnigy nano-tech 1800mah 3S
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...uct=20429.html

TGS Sport 7x5E Precision propeller

Already have a DX7 with the AR7000 receiver.

What do you guys think? What do I need to know for putting this together?

Thanks
BrianLas is offline Find More Posts by BrianLas
Old Jul 09, 2014, 10:34 AM
Just having fun
Joined Feb 2008
2,084 Posts
I do not know about the fit-up of the Turnigy Park 450 motor but the prop size seems to be a bit small. On my E-Flite Park 480 1020kv motor I tried a 9x5 wood prop and it pulled 14 amps at 150 watts for 71.2 watts/lb. That worked OK although I now use an 11x6 prop but do not need the extra power. However, a 7x5 prop sounds very small to me.

The motor you list is shown as being 18 amps max. A 9 or even a 10 inch prop should be within that max amps rating. A 10x6 sport prop on my 480 motor drew 16.2 amps at 168 watts for just shy of 80 watts/lb.

Other than prop size being small and my lack of knowledge of the fit-up of the Turnigy motor, the rest looks good. I fly mostly scale flying and get 10 minute flights with room to spare using 3S 1800mAh 25C LiPo's. If I do more sport flying that time is not possible.

Good luck. You are gonna love this plane.

Freddy
Old Jul 09, 2014, 01:03 PM
Joined Feb 2014
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson View Post
I do not know about the fit-up of the Turnigy Park 450 motor but the prop size seems to be a bit small. On my E-Flite Park 480 1020kv motor I tried a 9x5 wood prop and it pulled 14 amps at 150 watts for 71.2 watts/lb. That worked OK although I now use an 11x6 prop but do not need the extra power. However, a 7x5 prop sounds very small to me.

The motor you list is shown as being 18 amps max. A 9 or even a 10 inch prop should be within that max amps rating. A 10x6 sport prop on my 480 motor drew 16.2 amps at 168 watts for just shy of 80 watts/lb.

Other than prop size being small and my lack of knowledge of the fit-up of the Turnigy motor, the rest looks good. I fly mostly scale flying and get 10 minute flights with room to spare using 3S 1800mAh 25C LiPo's. If I do more sport flying that time is not possible.

Good luck. You are gonna love this plane.

Freddy
So you think I should go with something like this
Master Airscrew propeller 10x6

or something even more aggressive, like a 10x8. I like the easy flying, with the occasional full throttle for some light aerobatics.

I talked with a CS rep at horizon, they said that the motor setup would work. . (so hopefully it does)

Thanks, I am excited to put this guy together and see it fly.
Old Jul 09, 2014, 01:57 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLas View Post

or something even more aggressive, like a 10x8. I like the easy flying, with the occasional full throttle for some light aerobatics.

I talked with a CS rep at horizon, they said that the motor setup would work. . (so hopefully it does)

The manual states a 10x8 but my 10x7 is way fast enough ,don't want to rip them wings off now do we lol : ) ,,,depends on motor rpm though so might be ok with your motor ,,9 is too small for dia,,10 or 11 is most popular but I found that 11 was just too much bite for me.
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Jul 09, 2014, 04:19 PM
Just having fun
Joined Feb 2008
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLas View Post

I would go with the 10x6 or a 10x7. 10x8 is just too much unnecessary speed. Since you are ordering from HK anyway, pick up a couple Turnigy Type A Beech wood 10x7 propeller. These look really nice on the Taylorcraft. I have used this prop on my TC with satisfactory results.

Freddy

Old Jul 09, 2014, 06:23 PM
Joined Feb 2014
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson View Post
I would go with the 10x6 or a 10x7. 10x8 is just too much unnecessary speed. Since you are ordering from HK anyway, pick up a couple Turnigy Type A Beech wood 10x7 propeller. These look really nice on the Taylorcraft. I have used this prop on my TC with satisfactory results.

Freddy

Thanks for the link, I think I will do a couple of each 10x6 and 10x7's I like the wooden props though, look nice.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 05:54 PM
Just having fun
Joined Feb 2008
2,084 Posts
Quote:
So, how does she fly?

Freddy