HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2014, 07:24 AM
CAP smasher
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
193 Posts
Discussion
Building a Fokker Eindecker

As my title says, I am really wanting to make an Eindecker in about a 36" ws size from $TreeFoam. I have looked all through the archives here and haven't really found a really complete build to base mine on. I have found these plans somewhere that seem to be designed for no ailerons (wing warping) so there is quite a bit of dihedral in them. I believe the real plane had no dihedrel?? I would like to attempt to use wing warping to fly rather than committing the grevious sin of putting ailerons on this plane . This will be my first build simply from some plans so I am a little leery and have a couple of questions for you experienced builders. First, where would a good starting point for cg be on this wing? Second, I plan to build the wing with a top foam skin, add foam formers, and glue a flat sheet of foam on the bottom to complete it. If this is not-quite-right then please steer me in the right direction. Lastly, I had thought about adding about 1/2" of dihedral for stability, sound right?

Thanks,
Chris
compressor man is online now Find More Posts by compressor man
Last edited by compressor man; Jun 25, 2014 at 04:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2014, 08:39 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,163 Posts
The original had no dihedral and that is the way to go. Dihedral does not give stability, but instead gives a measure of self-righting at the cost of having the plane tossed around in gusty conditions. In effect being less stable.
Wing-warping will be fun to do. Just make sure you make the wing flexible enough. The structure you propose may be too rigid. The rigging wires take care of all the loads as well as controlling wing-warp.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jun 03, 2014, 08:49 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2014
51 Posts
Check this version out:

http://flitetest.com/articles/buildi...air-magnatilla
Ben M is offline Find More Posts by Ben M
Old Jun 03, 2014, 09:27 AM
CAP smasher
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
193 Posts
Thanks for the link Ben, I will definitely dig through it for whatever information I can glean.

Whiskers, you have certainly taught me something. I have always thought that dihedral= stability. Do you feel that I should simply leave the bottom of the wing 'hollow' or could I get away with sheeting it in something like tissue paper?

Chris
Old Jun 03, 2014, 02:42 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,490 Posts
There was just a nice foam EIII build either in scale kits/scratch or in the WWI forum, I can't recall which.

Fiddler's Green has paper card planes that many have used as a basis for foam models.

GPW posted plans a long time ago for a profile EIII here.

I'm hoping to start on a balsa EIII later this summer.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Jun 03, 2014, 05:28 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compressor man View Post
<snip> Do you feel that I should simply leave the bottom of the wing 'hollow' or could I get away with sheeting it in something like tissue paper?
Chris
I'd be making the wing with a thin under cambered section, similar to the original plane.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 06:11 AM
CAP smasher
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
193 Posts
Is there some kind of rule of thumb that I could go by for finding a CG on this wing?

Chris
Old Jun 04, 2014, 07:58 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compressor man View Post
Is there some kind of rule of thumb that I could go by for finding a CG on this wing?

Chris
This plane is quite conventional in plan-form so the usual CG zone will apply, 25% to 33% of the wing-cord.
Because of the very short nose you will need to get everything you can as far forward as possible, and keep everything aft of the CG as light as possible.
Consider pull-pull from forward mounted servos for the tail surfaces.
Often people crib a little extra length on the nose to help with balance.
Old Jun 04, 2014, 08:48 AM
CAP smasher
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
193 Posts
Thanks Whiskers, I was thinking about moving the wing aft maybe 3/4". The WS for this plane will be 37", I cannot remember now what the fuselage length will be, but it is a little shorter than the wingspan. I actually was thinking about a pull-pull system since the elevator is a full flying tail (the rudder also).

Chris
Old Jun 04, 2014, 11:57 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,490 Posts
I found the thread on Lockey's recent foam build, it's very nice:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r#post27829880

kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Jun 04, 2014, 02:03 PM
Build it and it will fly!
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Feb 2003
103 Posts
Yeah ...make sure you put as much weight forward of the CG or your plane will not balance! I'm still working on balance issues with my! Hopefully I can put a heavy dummy motor and heavier wheels on her to get the CG right! Good luck with your build!
Ken Wright is offline Find More Posts by Ken Wright
Old Jun 04, 2014, 02:17 PM
CAP smasher
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
193 Posts
Thanks for the link kdahlhaus! I cannot believe that I haven't seen that one since I have done so very much searching on this site.

Ken:
I hope that moving the wing back will give me the balance I need. Either that or I will be using a cast iron propeller and tie a helium balloon to the tail

Chris
Old Jun 04, 2014, 03:30 PM
Rather be flying
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Feb 2009
264 Posts
FFF Eindecker build thread

Check out the link below. its my version of a scratch built Eindecker with video of it flying insde the CAF hanger in Midland, TX

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post23187089
tsudduth is offline Find More Posts by tsudduth
Old Jun 04, 2014, 03:53 PM
Build it and it will fly!
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Feb 2003
103 Posts
Lol...yes that's true, you might have to do that! I was going to extend the nose of my but it took too much from the scale look. I already cheated by placing ailerons on her. I did move the cockpit slightly forward in hope that it would aid achieving the correct CG. Again good luck!
Ken Wright is offline Find More Posts by Ken Wright
Old Jun 04, 2014, 06:18 PM
CAP smasher
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsudduth View Post
Check out the link below. its my version of a scratch built Eindecker with video of it flying insde the CAF hanger in Midland, TX

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post23187089
Love it! I am very much a fan of the slo-flyer type of plane. Some people are interested in how fast they can get their plane to fly, thats fine. I love to see just how slow I can go without falling out of the sky.

Chris