HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:29 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
Cool
Scale mCPX - MD500

Hey everyone. Here is what's new on my end. I'll try and get a good outdoor video as well as some pictures.

It flies amazing now! It is so much more fun and now it just look right.
The reason for me doing this is so I won't crash trying to 3d it. The lack of power always sends it into the ground. So if I don't break it, it won't cost me more money to fix. All that is left is a metal Xtreme rotor head to add that finishing touch.

I'm also playing with pitch and throttle settings to help it out a bit. I don't need any negative anymore.

MD500 mCP X Maiden (1 min 11 sec)

Kevy-K
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
196 Posts
Beauty. Very nice work. Seems like a lot of work went into this, but definitely worth the effort
sonnetg is offline Find More Posts by sonnetg
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:56 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
The fuse is from darthdrk, a member on here who does much larger fuses. He also painted it black and applied a silver tape for trim, just like I asked. It wasn't made for the mCPX though so I had to use the trial and error mounting process.

I know what to do now though so I might do another one, except I'ld be doing the paint job.

Here is another that I found today.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1503237
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:58 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
I still need to figure out how to mount the battery. And I need a bigger battery. I tried playing with pitch curves, but haven't been able to improve it yet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:47 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
I need a battery that fits inside. I might take two smaller cells and run them in parallel.

Oops, those pictures were definitely taken against the ceiling.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:43 AM
Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,311 Posts
awesome looking heli. Is the mCPX a stable cp heli to fly ? say compared to something like a V120D03 ?
Wade1 is offline Find More Posts by Wade1
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:48 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
I've never flown any Walkeras before so I can't compare them, but a little expo makes this one pretty stable. No it will not fly hands off, but small corrections is all that is needed.

What I like about this fuse is that extra 9.22 grams. The extra weights helps the heli carry more momentum which just makes it seem so smooth from a spectators perspective.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:48 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Nice m8 , very nice
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:26 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
I need a battery that fits inside. I might take two smaller cells and run them in parallel.

Oops, those pictures were definitely taken against the ceiling.
Just curious, are you using the stock battery size now, or something else? I'm interested because I have one of these fuselages on the way.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:57 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
I'm using Nanotech 300mah lipos which are stock size.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:04 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
I got as close as I could to the scale rotor line/level. Now I just have to drop the tail.

RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:34 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
I just double checked and the Nanotechs are actually 5-6mm longer than the stock battery.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:52 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Which begs the question - which dimension is too large to fit?

I know outfitting the darthdrk fuse with the mCPx mechanics will require at least a little massaging, so I'm just trying to get as much info as I can before I get it in my grubby little hands......I can't see how how you have the battery mounted in your pictures (which is a good thing in a scale model).
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
Old Aug 05, 2012, 04:58 AM
Youtube skycop216
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2000
307 Posts
Nice Job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
The fuse is from darthdrk, a member on here who does much larger fuses. He also painted it black and applied a silver tape for trim, just like I asked. It wasn't made for the mCPX though so I had to use the trial and error mounting process.

I know what to do now though so I might do another one, except I'ld be doing the paint job.

Here is another that I found today.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1503237
That was mine I posted a while back, long since gone now. Great Job on yours!!!!! I was only able to fit the stock pack that came with the V1 at the time and only after removing the black connector and cutting the front doors out for access. My hyperion 250's would not fit, this was of course keeping it all inside of the heli which I wanted at the time. If I was to do another I would either cut the nose and attach it like a 450 plus size scale body or place it underneath as some of the MD500's did have an external cargo pod (see attached pic, no copyright infringement intended just wanted to help out my fellow hobbyist's). This would be easy to make out of thin sheet plastic and would still be scale as well. If Ed "Darthdrk" would make this into an "E" model it would make a little more room in the nose and make it easier to fit the battery. Mine was just pretty much slung up in the nose and rested between the bottom of it and the main board. Never had an issue with it that way and it also balanced the ship out pretty good. Some pics are listed in the linked post above.

I ran mine with a straight throttle curve can't remember exact but prob at least 85% accross the board, keeps head speed nice and even for the most part. Bottom of the pitch set at 20%, mid 50%, Top 90%. It flew great and very scale like. A short flight video is in the post above as well.

Also darthdrk did an awesome job on this fuse, this was my third one of his creations. The man is an artist! This fuse is also very light and works just fine on the stock brushed set up for scale flying.

David.
jafo216 is offline Find More Posts by jafo216
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:32 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
I'm also flying a V1, one of the first actually. I was actually thinking about doing the same thing you mentioned about removing the cockpit glass/canopy like the larger scale fuses. Right now it is just a toss up front and fly. I like the sporty look of the MD500d (e is too serious looking) and I think mounting anything external takes away from that.

Have you seen the multiblade rotor heads someone made for this heli? I think they made a 5 blader too, but they had flight issues. I'll try and find it again.

It is a bit more consistent if you start at 0 pitch, but a little negative would help a little on spool. This is where I am at at the moment and it is definitely getting better. It feels more precise. I fly with a Dx8.

Throttle Curve:
Normal - 0,60,90,100,100
Stunt 1 - 40,80,95,100,100
Pitch Curve:
Normal - 50,60,70,80,90
Stunt 1 - 50,62,74,86,100

And my rates...

Scale/Indoor (position 0) Aile/Elev
D/R: 70,70
Expo: 40,40
Steady Outdoor (position 1) Aile/Elev
D/R: 100,100