Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:15 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,551 Posts
Heinrich, And Nick, after all that lecture I was giving on hulls, that of course, is based on full size boats..

But, today, I got some stuff in, and it relates to you and Nick...

Hull design, and impeller, stator shape and tolerance..

Now, this aint no rock crawler, but, Steve is selling his hull pre cut for the kmb, and also has the jets available, in stock.

the efficiency of this jet, because of the kept tolerances, good intake angle, pitched stator, waay surpasses the nqd, and the graupner..in the nqd boat, or Steves knock off, its a MONSTER rock crawler..
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:22 PM
Kamikaze pilot
Sweden, Västernorrland County, Sundsvall
Joined Apr 2005
36 Posts
Nice! Im waiting for some stuff too, so soon i can start experimenting

Im not sure how durable the glassfiber hull is in compare with ABS but it seems to be able to do this atleast

RC Boat Kehrer Jet Sprint vs. Ufer (0 min 25 sec)
Heinrich H is offline Find More Posts by Heinrich H
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:07 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,551 Posts
LOL..well, they are not for rock crawlin..lake use..I'm waiting for Steves 21 inch bot to pop..should be soon, that will do double duty, I'm sure
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:30 AM
Joined Jun 2012
63 Posts
Nice little Jet boat so small it could almost be a model

http://almarinemeteor.blogspot.co.nz/

nickatredbox is offline Find More Posts by nickatredbox
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:01 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,260 Posts
That is going to be a great boat! I somewhat like the shape of the NQD better, not a big fan of the square shape that it has from the top view. But the bottom with the pad is very cool.

What is the prop made out of on that pump?
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Last edited by 7car7; Dec 03, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:09 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,260 Posts
So, took my boat to a local stream the other day, it is REALLY flowing right now. Almost too much, as it's just about over my boots in the wide spots. Narrow spots is flowing very fast, and deep.

I've been experimenting with window bug screen (fiberglass kind) on the intake, to keep gravel and sand out of the impeller. It works well at keeping junk out, but it seems to be keeping some water out too. The boat has no shortage of power (really only use about 1/2 to maybe 3/4 in the stream) with the screen, but the trouble is the choppy water - the boat is loosing prime so easily, that it was almost dangerous. I had a few scary moments where it looses prime and starts down river so fast. Smooth water is not a problem.

So, I had just attached the screen with some caulking - easy to put on, easy to take off. I yanked it off, and it improved the ability to keep a prime, but a couple bouts with a little gravel island caused an impeller blade to bust off. I was checking regularly to be sure it was ok, and then I noticed one blade finally let go. I was very glad I caught it.

I think it's time to look into modding a metal prop.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:26 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,551 Posts
7, firstly, the boat looks good with the lid on..il post as I go, paint work is gonna be a bit, boat is gelcoat, so, it takes some time, plus, I want a good finish, this one's not a rock machine, so, I care how it looks.

2nd, the impeller is a machined composite, hard, no blade flex.

I will be making a stainless grate for it, but, gotta figure how to blend it into the hull.

If you wanna cut down a metal prop, needs to be stainless for strength, as the rocks are gonna bend the blades on brass, and, if you eat something big, it will take out the plastic bowl..catch 22 on the thing, plus, cuttin down the prop will need a lathe, and great balancing, because of the rpm they run at..unbalanced, 20 min before the housing is egged out. bet on that.

Better to take out a blade, than all the rest..

A slightly extended 5 line grate has shown to stop 90% plus if debris ingestion on full size jets..
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:42 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,551 Posts
Here is a quick pic of the brass wire grate on my nqd..its raised .020 from the hull surface, not gonna change anything as far as handling, or, water intake, but it gives debris DEFLECTION value..and 5 linear rods do minimal restriction on water intake..

And remember, no rocket enginners on the nqd jet..flow, etc..AND, when we over drive em, the shortcomings show up quick, like not enough water in the small tunnel..
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:44 PM
Kamikaze pilot
Sweden, Västernorrland County, Sundsvall
Joined Apr 2005
36 Posts
Hi guys! Could someone tell me the measurments on the NQDs lid/hatch? W:? L:?

Trying to model the upper part of my 3d model.
Heinrich H is offline Find More Posts by Heinrich H
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:01 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Here is a quick pic of the brass wire grate on my nqd....
Very similar to what I'm running. I made my grate out of 1/8 wide carbon fiber strips. Turned on edge of course. They're about 1/32 thick I suppose. And I think I might have maybe one more than your rods, so maybe a hair less gap in between each one. Still lets enough junk through that I've lost 2 impellers with only 3 trips to a stream.

I just wonder if I should add another set of strips between each of those for twice the coverage so I don't need the window screen. I'd think the slats or rods would be MUCH less restrictive than the mesh, even with 2x as much as you or I already have.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:46 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,551 Posts
7, make sure there are no other factors..allowing for the end play in the motor, get the impeller to stator clearace tight..anything gettin in there, bye blade..
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:32 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,551 Posts
H, 105 by 200 mm
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:05 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,966 Posts
That KMB is a nice looking drive! You need to try macro mode on your camera though chidago!

7, try to resist the urge to power the boat off a gravel bar. It will only end in shredded impellers. Once I was running in a slightly flooded stream with mossy rocks; when climbing over one of the rocks, the boat stuck in place and sucked in a big chunk of moss. Goodbye impeller!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:51 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,551 Posts
LOL, Fire, it was in macro....and good advice, aint no auger..

Ya know, this is hard to beat, especially with the kmb..Steves stuff is gonna work for me..

KMB Jet drive NQD jet sprint hull BL4024 2400kv River climbing (1 min 47 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Dec 03, 2012 at 07:06 PM.