HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2010, 02:08 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Discussion
My New HuangXin SX28023

Hey All!

Today I took delivery of my new SX28023 3 channel co-axial helicopter. I actually returned a defective Syma S-106 to the dealer, and paid the difference to get this instead.

It's on the charger right now for it's maiden flight later today. I couldn't wait and decided to share some photos with you all. Oh sorry for the bad quality of the photos. It's a cheap camera.

It came well packed. Included was a LiPo balance charger, a power supply, a full set of replacement blades, an extra tail rotor, a pretty nice radio with a non spring loaded throttle stick, and of course a very attractive co-axial model helicopter.

In front of it's box.

Next to it's radio.

Top view of main rotor assembly. BTW, this helicopter has some serious looking flybar weights . I sure wouldn't want to have this thing hit my finger!

Rear view.

Front view.

Size comparison with my S107. It's roughly about the size of a 250 class heli or maybe slightly smaller.

Here is a direct side to side size comparison between the SX28023 and the S107.

It has an 850 maH 7.4 LiPo battery, and the manual says takes about 2 hours to charge fully. It can fly for up to 15 minutes in calm conditions according to them.

Well that's all for now. I've got to go out and run an errand, and by the time I get back, the battery should be charged up, and I'll take it for a spin in the backyard. According to the instruction manual, this model is rated for outdoor use. It's just a little too big to fly comfortably inside the house.

Cheers,
Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Last edited by edwong3; Oct 12, 2010 at 07:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2010, 05:27 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
1rst Test Flight!

OK, I just had my first flight on the new SX28023. It was a most "interesting" experience. Since I didn't have an idea of how this new chopper's power curve, I took it very slow.

First I went out, and tried to fly it in front of the house. There is a patch of grass about 20'x20' (give or take) that I was trying to use to take off. The transmitter has a toggle switch on the upper left side that reads, "Slow" and "Fast". I think I knew what that meant, so naturally, I had it in the "Slow" position.

I set it down on the lawn, and moved the throttle to just enough to get the blades to spin. I think it's great not to deal with that spring loaded stick like on the Syma's tX. Then I moved the stick further, but the heli wanted to tip to one side. Upon closer inspection, one of the skids, I think it was the left, had threaded itself through a weed. I pulled the model loose, and set it down again.

Well long story short, for some reason, after a few aborted take offs, I then decided to to the back yard to fly. Over there, the area is about 50'x70'. Lots of room to make corrections in flight, or so I thought.

I had a couple of false starts but then I thought to myself that it was time to stop being a "chicken", and "go for it"! Like previous attempts, I idled the blades, and then "hit it"! The heli went into the air about 10-12 feet, and had a tendency to rotate to the right. Immediately I turned the trim button on the TX until it hovered steady. That's when I finally felt a smile creep on to my face.

Now here is the "interesting" part I was talking about. This thing is POWERFULL! Oh sure I'm certain the guys flying 450 class, 6 channel collective pitch with brushless motors, would probably laugh at that statement, but coming from the humble Syma S107 micro, it is a big leap for me.

The SX28023 obviously has way more power "nominally" than any micro heli, and covers air space very quickly. The speed at which it "yaws" left or right is outstanding. It has that whirling "robotic" sound whenever you move the rudder a little too quickly, and locks the tail ROCK SOLID! The gyro is definitely doing it's job with authority.

Of course I can't report a full, non stop flight, but I was probably playing around with the SX for about 20 minutes total. Perhaps 8-9 minutes of those was actual time in the air. It had plenty of charge left in the battery but I didn't want to push my luck the first time out, and called it a done deal.

Tomorrow I will charge it up, and take it for another spin in the back yard. This model will probably be flown once or twice a day tops. In the meantime, my little S107 will be flown many more times. In fact, it's charging up right now for flight #99! Tonight, it'll hit the BIG 100!

Once I get a little more confident on the SX28023, I should be able to take some photos of it flying, thanks to that spring-less throttle.

Happy flying!
Ed
Old Oct 12, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,363 Posts
Xheli sells this its called the Skylark.

http://www.xheli.com/3chrcsk3chfu.html
jtravel is online now Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Oct 12, 2010, 09:43 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Alias

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
Xheli sells this its called the Skylark.

http://www.xheli.com/3chrcsk3chfu.html
Yes Skylark is it's "stage name". I got mine through Nitro Planes.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/28023-skylark-metalheli.html

Notice the great price. It's what we would normally pay for an IR controlled micro heli (S107, 6020, 335, 9808, etc.).

I'm looking forward to flying it tomorrow. The only thing I am not too happy about is that like it's much smaller counterparts, you still cannot swap batteries to achieve continuous flights (After appropriate cool down periods of course). The entire helicopter must be hooked up to the charger just like the micros. Other than that, the Skylark is a little closer to hobby level.

Happy flying!
Ed
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:06 PM
Argentina
Joined Mar 2007
156 Posts
Hi Edwong3,

Congratulations, very nice helicopter

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pepiche.
pepiche is offline Find More Posts by pepiche
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:20 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,374 Posts
Bears every resemblance to my T-Series Huangxing. See adjacent thread. Currently $40 from Xheli with free shipping. Does leap, does whip around, does snap-lock, does fly long per charge.

The fast-slow switch applies only to the tailmotor speed range. Either low/med or med/high.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:53 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
T-Series

Mine is a HuangXing "T" series, model number SX28023. And as "jtravel" pointed out, it's called the "Skylark" here in the US.

I was very surprised by how quick this helicopter can turn on it's axis, and lock as tight as it does. Makes my S107 look "sloppy" in comparison.

I noticed that the tail rotor blade is pitched at quite an angle. I think that is part of the reason the forward, and backward movements are so quick, and as I mentioned, still only using the "Slow" mode.

I like the feature that you can turn the navigation lights off and on from the transmitter.

I hope to have a good experience with this model

Happy flying!
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Bears every resemblance to my T-Series Huangxing. See adjacent thread. Currently $40 from Xheli with free shipping. Does leap, does whip around, does snap-lock, does fly long per charge.

The fast-slow switch applies only to the tailmotor speed range. Either low/med or med/high.
Last edited by edwong3; Oct 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:57 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Thanks!

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepiche View Post
Hi Edwong3,

Congratulations, very nice helicopter

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pepiche.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:30 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,374 Posts
My Huangxing has been absolutely trouble free despite collisions that would have tattered my LV4.

Specifically, I took both outside in identical conditions. T couldn't hold itself against the breeze but landed without damage. LV4 had a blade strike, disabled itself and required repair.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Oct 13, 2010, 04:28 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
Mine is a HuangXing "T" series, model number SX28023.
The T-series model xheli sells is SX28022
http://www.xheli.com/newtfualal3c.html $35.15 shipped right now with Xheli's current free shipping offer and using 5% off coupon code "modelxheli" no min purchase required.
T-series model Sx28023 looks like the same Heli just a different color scheme. $39.77 with shipping, "NITRO5" coupon code would be good for 5% but you have to spend $50 min.
Nitroplanes.com,Xheli.com,hobbypartz.com all seem to be related and advertise on eachothers websites and share a support fourm.
I'm really tempted to order one of these

I just couldn't help myself and pulled the trigger on the T-series
I'm really enjoying flying these bigger heli's outside in the mornings befor the wind picks up.
with 30 min cool down and 90 min charge I need more than one outside flyer.
jtravel is online now Find More Posts by jtravel
Last edited by jtravel; Oct 13, 2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 09:53 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
More T's

Congrats! At those prices, you can't go wrong. It is a lot of helicopter for the money!

This morning I flew it for a few minutes. But I am still not used to it. I'll get there.

Happy flying!
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
The T-series model xheli sells is SX28022
http://www.xheli.com/newtfualal3c.html $35.15 shipped right now with Xheli's current free shipping offer and using 5% off coupon code "modelxheli" no min purchase required.
T-series model Sx28023 looks like the same Heli just a different color scheme. $39.77 with shipping, "NITRO5" coupon code would be good for 5% but you have to spend $50 min.
Nitroplanes.com,Xheli.com,hobbypartz.com all seem to be related and advertise on eachothers websites and share a support fourm.
I'm really tempted to order one of these

I just couldn't help myself and pulled the trigger on the T-series
I'm really enjoying flying these bigger heli's outside in the mornings befor the wind picks up.
with 30 min cool down and 90 min charge I need more than one outside flyer.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:22 AM
Check out my RC Video Blog
Medford, New Jersey
Joined Jul 2002
718 Posts
Edwong3,

How is the battery attached to the PCB.. does it have a wired connector or soldered directly?

If you can provide a picture with the body off that would be great!

I ordered mine today.. cant beat that price with free shipping and the XHELI discount code.

I am hoping its connected via a wire.. i have some spare 7.4v 800mAH Lipos this would be perfect for.

Dave
dwholler is offline Find More Posts by dwholler
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:34 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
SX28023 Battery

Hi,

I'll check up on that for you. I'll get back here later.

Happy flying!
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwholler View Post
Edwong3,

How is the battery attached to the PCB.. does it have a wired connector or soldered directly?

I ordered mine today.. cant beat that price with free shipping and the XHELI discount code.

I am hoping its connected via a wire.. i have some spare 7.4v 800mAH Lipos this would be perfect for.

Dave
Old Oct 13, 2010, 01:41 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
The SX28023 T Series Battery Arrangement

OK, I'm back with some photos, albeit of bad quality.

To answer your question, the battery uses a connector to power the model. It uses a flat, two pin connector. The battery itself measures about 1 1/8" wide by 2" long. It sits on a "U" channel, and attached with black double sided tape.

Some words of caution. The screws holding the cowling are quite small, and a bit difficult to work with, especially when putting it all back together. You may have to come up with a "quick release" system of using some type of pins to hold the cowling instead of using screws.

Also the wire that powers the front light is a bit short, and you have very little slack. The cowling hangs from this wire when you pull it off.

Making a quick battery swap is the least of your problems. You can use Velcro, or or other means that allow you to remove it easily, BUT it must be fastened securely. You don't want that battery to come loose in case of a crash.

Enough of my chatter, here's the photos:

These are the connectors.

The battery. 7.4v 850mAH.

A side view of the battery sitting on the channel.

Another view of the connectors.

I think the blurry photos may have to do with getting my camera set up right for close pictures. I'll have to look into it.

Congrats on your purchase. It is a nice heli.

Happy flying!
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwholler View Post
Edwong3,

Dave
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:59 PM
Check out my RC Video Blog
Medford, New Jersey
Joined Jul 2002
718 Posts
thanks.. thats exactly what i imagined.. so yes replacing the cells should be no problem

thanks for taking the time to take it apart...
dwholler is offline Find More Posts by dwholler