HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:07 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick3485 View Post
no i was intendig the last from the servo center...i can't understand...hope it is enought
Ensure you're getting at least 90 degrees of servo movement
Also check that the hole in the control horn are in line with the hinge of the control surface

Post a couple of photos of your set-up
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick3485 View Post
I have a frustrating problem with the elevator and rudder throws
can't get more thn 20 angle on the control surfaces
servo throws are ok the linkages are on the first hole on servos and last on control horns and the rod is ok...how the heak???
In addition to what other people have said, make sure you flex your joints. The hinges are very stiff when you first get the plane and need manual flexing. Disconnect the control linkages and manually bend the hinge back and forth until it is looser. Should help considerably.

Make sure the plastic tubing that the control linkage runs through is well secured to the fuselage. If it has come loose, the tube will flex instead of pushing the control surface. Glue or tape the tube to the fuselage so it can't move.

But yeah, post up some pics and we can help.
polyfractal is offline Find More Posts by polyfractal
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:31 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
999 Posts
Quote:
I have a frustrating problem with the elevator and rudder throws can't get more than 20 angle on the control surfaces
As polyfractal says, disconnect the linkages and move the surfaces by hand. How free are they? Usually as the angle increases the stiffness does too. This is why I fit proper hinges.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Sep 2010
286 Posts
Maybe this is a silly question, but I'm trying to verify that this Dubro 1/2A linkage set (DUB231) will work with my 1/2A control horns and the Bixler: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ge-1-2a-DUB231

Can anyone confirm this before I order? The stock clevises are really crappy and broke during assembly.
Zangetsu57 is offline Find More Posts by Zangetsu57
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:39 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,894 Posts
Bixler v1.1

Hey guys don't know if you all seen the new version1.1 Bixler!!!
Here:-http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_ARF_.html
A few changes.
From the HK Bixler page:-
Allow us to introduce the Bixler V1.1 with a myriad of improvements over the original Bixler.
Our v1.1 features relocated elevator and rudder servos, now closer to the tail and accessible via a magnetic hatch on the underside of the fuselage. Why? you may ask - This allows much more usable space inside the front section of the fuselage, something that FPV'ers are going to thank us for! We have also updated the included hardware to include better quality components, such as the new 4 bolt control horns on all surfaces. We also include 2 different propellers, one for high speed and the other for carrying heavier payloads.
You - our customers spoke, we listened! The end result is the Bixler V1.1!

LURCH
taz101 is offline Find More Posts by taz101
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
I ordered a Bixler 1 kit. My order is being held while some carbon fiber that I also ordered and is back ordered arrives. I looked at my order now, and I will be getting the V1.1 kit in stead.

Is this better for me or worse?
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:18 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I ordered a Bixler 1 kit. ... I looked at my order now, and I will be getting the V1.1 kit in stead.

The V1.1 better than the V1? It looks like just a few tweaks that are a good thing to have.

Moving the servos should allow strengthening of the fuselage at a critical point. You might still improve things by fitting hinges on all moving surfaces. If not just make sure they move freely (by flexing them) before assembly.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:00 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,705 Posts
Quote:
I ordered a Bixler 1 kit. My order is being held while some carbon fiber that I also ordered and is back ordered arrives. I looked at my order now, and I will be getting the V1.1 kit in stead.

Won't be known until a few folk get them in hand and in the air.

Looks like several small but good improvements to the design. ESC wire routing and so forth. On thing that has been challenging is making CG for some builds with a heavy motor without adding (leaving) some of the ballast weights in the nose. With the further aft servo mounting location in the V1.1 this might aggravate some CG issues.

In any case it's nice to see that HK is still paying attention to improving the basic design.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Won't be known until a few folk get them in hand and in the air.

Looks like several small but good improvements to the design. ESC wire routing and so forth. On thing that has been challenging is making CG for some builds with a heavy motor without adding (leaving) some of the ballast weights in the nose. With the further aft servo mounting location in the V1.1 this might aggravate some CG issues.

In any case it's nice to see that HK is still paying attention to improving the basic design.

Ted
You are correct that we won't know until we see it. I see 2 problems from the start.

1) A hatch in the belly is going to get rubbed open on landings. I had a strip of tape on the belly before to reduce the wear on the foam. Now I will have to come up with a way to close the hatch.

2) Swaping out servos will be a bit harder working through the little hatch. I managed to bust a couple of servos on my last plane and re-gluing required some dexterity. I have to see if the little hatch makes it harder or easier.

Shimmy
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:12 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
You are correct that we won't know until we see it. I see 2 problems from the start.

1) A hatch in the belly is going to get rubbed open on landings. I had a strip of tape on the belly before to reduce the wear on the foam. Now I will have to come up with a way to close the hatch.

2) Swaping out servos will be a bit harder working through the little hatch. I managed to bust a couple of servos on my last plane and re-gluing required some dexterity. I have to see if the little hatch makes it harder or easier.

Shimmy
Use a better quality metal gear servo and tape as normal. I'm betting you would never have to cut through the tape for access.
2500GENE is online now Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:13 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Use a better quality metal gear servo and tape as normal. I'm betting you would never have to cut through the tape for access.
Just CA it closed. Chances are you will get the nose pushed in before you need to replace any servo.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:03 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Just CA it closed. Chances are you will get the nose pushed in before you need to replace any servo.
Thank you for your vote of confidence. .
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for your vote of confidence. .
I wasn't trying to put down your flying abilities.

You are probably a better flyer than me (most of the people here are better). Even so the chances of nosing into the ground is much higher than having a servo fail.

Even if one does fail the Bix is an easy plane to cut up, fix the problem then patch it back up with glue or tape. You will be back in the air in a day or so.

I know because a few montihs ago on a Thursday I lawn darted into the ground and smashed up my Skysurfer. I spent a few hours of my time on Friday, some tooth picks and CA and she was back together. Had it flying on Saturday. She wasn't as pretty as before but she still flys and so will your Bix.

Don't sweat the small things. Build it, go fly it and have fun with it.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:26 PM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Kazakhstan, West Kazakhstan Province, Aksay
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
My mods

I've been some time outside of this forum.
During my absense here I made several mods to my Bixler.

First is FLAPS. Nothing special. Span and length are equal to ailerons. Pinned hinges and another HTX900 servos. I reversed one servo by myself without any additional modules (weight). If someone needs photos or have questions, just ask.

Second is new position for ailerons, flaps servo connectors. They are hot glued to fuselage and taped for redundancy. See photo.
Name: 20121121_110602.jpg
Views: 107
Size: 170.3 KB
Description: Ailerons and flaps servo connectors.

Third is new position of ESC with heat sink on it. See photos as well. I tried to make it as smooth as possible. Three wires outside will let me easy reverse motor for another prop.
Name: 20121120_161123.jpg
Views: 74
Size: 164.4 KB
Description: Slot for ESC.
Name: 20121121_092644.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 153.7 KB
Description: ESC preparation. Heat shrink tube removed. Ready to stick heat sink.
Name: 20121121_110532.jpg
Views: 122
Size: 208.8 KB
Description: ESC mounted.
Scorpio9999 is offline Find More Posts by Scorpio9999
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:02 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I wasn't trying to put down your flying abilities.
Trouble-maker.
2500GENE is online now Find More Posts by 2500GENE