Bob
bob s is offline Find More Posts by bob s
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2013, 05:24 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,999 Posts
Do you have it apart? If it is a 9 arm stator and you can dope out the old wind and termination, it should be easy to copy. You would want to know the turn count (any one arm will do it), the wind type, and the termination. If there is not Wye bundle it is a Delta termination.

Do you need the basics on how to rewind a 9 arm stator? That would be in this if that is needed:

http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/.../KH-278-v2.pdf

If your motor has a multiple strands in parallel wind you want to use a single strand of an equivalent total surface area or larger.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Last edited by jackerbes; Sep 01, 2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2013, 02:47 PM
kentucky
Joined Feb 2004
624 Posts
Thanks for the response I havn't ordered the motor yet i was just wondering if its difficult to get apart and what results i might expect.

Bob
Old Sep 01, 2013, 03:07 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,999 Posts
OK, it pretty much is that you don't know what you'll get until you see it. Sometimes the windings will be epoxy saturated and that can really complicate things.

That is one of those pancake style motors. pulling the circlip off the back should let you remove the magnet housing and shaft as a unit. Where it will get interesting is getting the stator off of the bearing tube without damaging it or the insulation coating on it.

Because of the width of the stator and the scant space between the back of the stator and the backplate, it is impossible to wind the stator while it is still on the tube.

Jack
Old Sep 01, 2013, 05:24 PM
kentucky
Joined Feb 2004
624 Posts
yea thats what i thought. I can't believe nobody else has rewound this thing I thought it was a popular motor.

Bob
Old Sep 01, 2013, 06:37 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob s View Post
yea thats what i thought. I can't believe nobody else has rewound this thing I thought it was a popular motor.

Bob
I don't recall it being mentioned here very much, or how long they have been selling it. It is this motor here, right?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Outrunner.html

What is your objecting in rewinding it? I'm sure, like for nearly any motor, you can make a better running and more powerful motor out of it. Just going from a typical multi strand wind to a single strand wind will almost always do that.

And it could turn out to be easily rewound, it just has not been done yet.

Jack
Old Sep 01, 2013, 06:53 PM
kentucky
Joined Feb 2004
624 Posts
i'm wanting a high thrust motor for a small 3d foamy. I know I can make it better i just thought someone might have some numbers on it. Ill probably just give it a try.
Old Sep 01, 2013, 07:02 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob s View Post
i'm wanting a high thrust motor for a small 3d foamy. I know I can make it better i just thought someone might have some numbers on it. Ill probably just give it a try.
High thrust or high RPM? You can higher thrust out or larger, slower turning, props too.

If you want high RPM and small props then a high Kv is needed. Do you know the prop what it is you want to use? There may be some testing data we can look at to see how much power it takes to get the prop up to RPM. You can do that in the prop database a FlyBrushless.com. Knowing that, and approximately how much the motor will weigh, you can get an idea if it is practical.

To get it higher than a 1900 kV you want to use fewer turns and that will normally allow larger wire. But the small confines and tight turns around the stator arms are a factor too. There is simply no better way than to get one of them, strip it, and try some winds.

If you can get a count on the turns as you strip it, that is the starting point and you can use a turn calculator to get the kV right for the prop and battery you want to use.

Jack
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:46 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,068 Posts
IMO This:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_1700kv.html
is Still! the standard 'good' Motor .
Reams of info on rewinding it as well
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:02 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,999 Posts
The 2204 is about 9 grams lighter at 19g, that kind of makes them apples and oranges when you get down into that weight range...

Jack
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:51 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,068 Posts
Mine complete with connectors, mount, prop saver And rewound, is 27.7 gms
Unlikely the 19 grams is ready to use weight.
HK specs are rarely close, let alone accurate.
Perhaps then buy the 2211 ? it's obstensibly 16 grams and it 's 80/90% of the 2730's power not to mention a years Proven motor that there is ample rewind info/experience on.
The ready availability of solid rewind/perf info is imo a serious advantage
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare