SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:39 PM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
723 Posts
Hmmm....well, I can work out a way to mount them in my V6, but I'm not doing anything until someone else has modded them and can describe how to do it.
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:44 PM
Joined Jan 2011
723 Posts
Tom,
I just checked your spare parts list and you have the V7 main gear struts/wheel units. If I put the new retracts in my V6, will the V7 struts fit that? Also, FMS raked the V6 struts forward by simply bending them. Any ideas for raking these? Shims under the retracts?
Old Aug 24, 2013, 08:14 PM
United States, IL, Lake Barrington
Joined Dec 2012
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Sally5 View Post
Tom,
I just checked your spare parts list and you have the V7 main gear struts/wheel units. If I put the new retracts in my V6, will the V7 struts fit that? Also, FMS raked the V6 struts forward by simply bending them. Any ideas for raking these? Shims under the retracts?
V7 struts do not fit without work. It honestly depends how much modification and time you want to put it. It has been done but it is far from a direct bolt on. Shims will get you some of the angle but not all. Foam will need to be carved too.
Tom.MotionRC is offline Find More Posts by Tom.MotionRC
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 25, 2013, 01:17 AM
Joined Jan 2011
723 Posts
Thanks Tom. I'm not real patient some times, so I decided to go ahead with making this work. Taking apart the FMS retract unit is actually easier than the e-tract. 3 screws for the side case and push off an e clip and it splits apart very easily...allowing the trunion to be removed. I clamped it in a vise and using first an 11/64 bit, then 3/16, I drilled out the strut hole. It actually doesn't go all the way through the trunion, so metal shavings really don't make it to the innards of the retract mechanism, so I guess if you were careful, you really dont need to remove the trunion. Still...better safe than sorry. The 3/16th" hole is a perfect fit for the V6 strut. Also...the base of the new FMS retract perfectly meets and fits the base screw holes. The only mod you need to do to the wheel well is cut just a bit of the plastic away to make room for the longer body of the retract. As I have only purchased one of the FMS units (I plan to get the other one on payday, and the other retract is stock e-tract...to my delight, the FMS unit cycles slower than the stock one...giving a really cool scale out of sync retraction of the landing gear! By the way guys...I'm very impressed with the quality and robustness of the FMS unit. The screw drive is quite a bit thicker than the stock e-tract unit which usually gets bent easily with a hard landing.
Cheers!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 03:29 PM
Joined Jan 2011
723 Posts
Another amazing experience with Motion RC....I sent an email to their store inquiring about their Stinger Jet...just trying to decide which to get...hit "Enter". Not 5 minutes later, I got a phone call from "Alpha" regarding my email and he talked with me about my choice for about 10 minutes. I continue to be blown away with this company! I will never buy another plane from another store if it is the same brand Motion sells.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:46 PM
They call me Dan
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined Jan 2013
324 Posts
Hey Tom, Any Labor day sales?
sc4dr is offline Find More Posts by sc4dr
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:08 AM
United States, IL, Lake Barrington
Joined Dec 2012
334 Posts
We have been working for the past 10 days to bring you new and exciting future products. We have been working extensively with companies like FMS and Freewing and this holiday snuck up on us quickly. Unfortunately no sale this weekend but loads of exciting things to come in the next few months.
Tom.MotionRC is offline Find More Posts by Tom.MotionRC
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 30, 2013, 01:49 PM
United States, WI, Oconto
Joined Mar 2013
98 Posts
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post
We have been working for the past 10 days to bring you new and exciting future products. We have been working extensively with companies like FMS and Freewing and this holiday snuck up on us quickly. Unfortunately no sale this weekend but loads of exciting things to come in the next few months.
Excited to see what is coming down the pike.

Chris B
fl_rider is offline Find More Posts by fl_rider
Old Aug 31, 2013, 09:31 AM
They call me Dan
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined Jan 2013
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post
looking forward to it.
sc4dr is offline Find More Posts by sc4dr
Old Oct 03, 2013, 02:50 PM
indywestrc.org
United States, IN, Zionsville
Joined Dec 2004
102 Posts
Agree. Great folks at MotionRC

I've called a couple of times of the past week to ask questions and everyone has been very kind and accomodatin and it felt like I was talking to a friend.

Just spoke with Mark this afternoon with a last question and finally pulled the trigger on a new FMS 1400mm P-40.

Can't wait for it to arrive and launch it into the air. I know that these guys will have my back should anything (unlikely) need to be resolved in the future or should I have additional questions.
Suds is offline Find More Posts by Suds
Old Oct 04, 2013, 07:55 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
it's a habit now, if i'm interested in a new plane, or need parts...i go to Motion RC first ! just ordered a RocHobby Swift.... got here in 3 days
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Oct 05, 2013, 12:56 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
it's a habit now, if i'm interested in a new plane, or need parts...i go to Motion RC first ! just ordered a RocHobby Swift.... got here in 3 days
RocHobby Swift High Speed Delta Wing RC Plane (8 min 28 sec)
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member