Closed Thread
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:07 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroseb View Post
what does exactly mean ''brown-out''... ? a kind of crash/failure?
I am using that term to mean that power going into the receiver failed. There isn't any difference between that and a "complete" power loss.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:30 PM
fly to the moon :)
Canada, QC, Terrebonne
Joined Apr 2009
182 Posts
ok thank you, i learn with your comments. That's also the first time i heard this term
aeroseb is offline Find More Posts by aeroseb
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:44 PM
Australia, QLD, Gatton
Joined Jan 2007
931 Posts
I kind of doubt it was a receiver brownout. Frsky aren't really known for it, unlike spektrum. In the video the copter is cruising along at a constant rate... No sudden throttle punches or anything to create a low voltage spike. No apparent voltage sag, just appears to be a total power loss. If it had of been an RF issue the aircraft should have twitched or entered failsafe mode.

I'd be checking the power connectors for intermittent connection and going through all the solder connections and checking for dry joints.
danger_mouse is offline Find More Posts by danger_mouse
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:48 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroseb View Post
ok thank you, i learn with your comments. That's also the first time i heard this term
It's ok... and I didn't mean to make a big deal out of it, was just saying it's something you should check, and since it's easy to check, you could eliminate that issue before concentrating on things that may be impossible to explain, such as radio interference. Also... you turn off the FPV equipment and fly the quad all over hill and dale in that same area and you pretty much eliminate environmental interference as a factor. Eliminating problems one by one is the way to figure these things out.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:19 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
You've dropped below the level at which things can operate - doesn't really matter if it's "complete" or not. And, have you ever given your opinion without being a dick about it? There's a million ways you could help here without being a total ass, so just stop it, please. Where were you when the original question was asked if you're such an expert on everything, huh? Why did you only show up when you saw a chance to insult me?
Not insulting anyone just pointing out that you often post about things you have no idea about Wouldn't be a big deal but you continue to want this poor guy to chase down a ghost

Facts are facts.. Simple as that
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: GenAce Tattu 25c 22,000mah 6s1p
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:26 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_mouse View Post
I kind of doubt it was a receiver brownout. Frsky aren't really known for it, unlike spektrum. In the video the copter is cruising along at a constant rate... No sudden throttle punches or anything to create a low voltage spike. No apparent voltage sag, just appears to be a total power loss. If it had of been an RF issue the aircraft should have twitched or entered failsafe mode.

I'd be checking the power connectors for intermittent connection and going through all the solder connections and checking for dry joints.
100% agree
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: GenAce Tattu 25c 22,000mah 6s1p
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:00 PM
Canada, QC, Terrebonne
Joined Apr 2009
182 Posts
it makes sense, thanks to all, that guides me pretty much in the right way to investigate more!
cheers
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:18 PM
Canada, QC, Terrebonne
Joined Apr 2009
182 Posts
update, i'm gonna redo all joints, i'm afraid about dry joints and dont want to take a chance and crash again.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:23 PM
Canada, QC, Terrebonne
Joined Apr 2009
182 Posts
Hello everyone, i unbuilt my quad. First of all, some bullet connectors from motor had bad joints...(didn't help my cause). Then, i opended my ''spider'' power system and what i saw was very surprising to me. A little white powder coated the main joints. It's like a calcification or mineral process...don't know but from what i saw it has the potential to reduce significally power through the wires, Here's what i read :

'' The residue is most likely lightly corrosive. The white residue is most likely unencapsulated metal salts.

The potential for electro-migration is increased when flux (no-clean or otherwise) is allowed to stay on the assembly. It only takes three key ingredients to grow dendrites (metal crystals) on a board. These three ingredients are voltage, conductive / corrosive material (flux) and moisture (humidity). The flux residue forms a conductive path connecting an anode to a cathode. The results are either electrical leakage (a temporary problem) or dendrite growth (a permanent problem).''

Use of lead-free alloys have increased visible residues on circuit assemblies. The increased heat associated with lead-free alloys causes the no-clean flux to polymerize before it has a chance to fully encapsulate the newly created oxidized material created during the reflow process. Increasingly, assemblers are removing no-clean flux residues as part of their normal assembly process.
Last edited by aeroseb; Dec 13, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
Closed Thread