150 Posts
Discussion
Light retracts incl steerable nosegear

Hi

Im buildin this DC-10 from scratch, with an estimated weight about 500g/17OZ

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774565

I have search for retracts and found that this ones are close to perfect
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...1pc_18_8g.html

But how about the nosegear? Is this one easy to make steerable? Or do any of you have better ideas?
polledk is offline Find More Posts by polledk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:14 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,004 Posts
I use the much larger servoless retracts of the same design. They are pretty easy to convert to nosewheel steering. The music wire leg needs to be able to swivel in the retract so a groove must be made for the set screws to ride in the slot instead of locking onto the shaft. Second a torsion wire needs to hold the leg "straight" during retraction and extension. This thin wire can be thin music wire or even brass. One end drilled into the rotating block of the retract, and the other attached to the gear leg. Lastly a servo gets mounted just beside the retracted leg using fishing line pull-pull linkages. Here are a couple pictures in my Mirage thread on RC Canada showing the system. 20lb test works fine. short sections of aluminum tubing or brass can be used to secure the line to the control horn on the leg and the servo arms. The control horn is simply a wheel collar that has some plate brass soldered to it and a hole on each side.
The pictures are here....
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...9&postcount=52
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:32 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,004 Posts
couple more from my F100

In the first picture here you can see the torque rod that holds the leg straight. it goes into the rotating block with a right angle bend.
The second shows the small metal geared servo glued just beside the retract motor.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Aug 2011
150 Posts
Hey 4stripes
Thanks. I think I will order 3 HK 5094, and see if I can make one of them steerable. I guess that its the easiest way, and close to the lightest.

Im not sure, that I really understand how to do it, but Maybe I should wait care about that part, untill I got it in my hand
polledk is offline Find More Posts by polledk