SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:35 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
Spring install on my new tail, 0.5mm wire, 25mm center leg, installed legs into short aluminum tubes. I chose this spring design because it's more reliable than the in-line design which tends to flip around on occasion and requires a piece of tape to prevent it doing otherwise.

Thanks Thomas!!
-dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:12 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,769 Posts
I've not had the flipping problem and not needed tape. I suspect the issue is the angle of the 90 degree bends in the wire and the radius of the 180 degree bend. If the latter is not made a very tight bend, then a small recess is provided in the hingeline, it will stay in place in the unstable position of a straight control surface. That is, it cannot get past the skins. If the angle of the 90 degree bends is made to be just slightly less than 90 degrees, but the ends are put into the control surfaces at 90 degrees, then there is a slight force holding the wire into the hingeline.

So, when the surface is bent away from the hinge gap, then this slight force holds the wire in place. When the surface is straight or bent towards the hinge gap, the width of the 180 degree bend prevents that end from popping out as it has to get past the skins.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:26 AM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,186 Posts
Dave,

You might try re-zeroing your altimeter before figuring out your launch height. Looks like you got some free altitude from sensor drift. Still a good launch though!

James
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:38 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,424 Posts
Where is a good source for switch jacks? I thought I had one of Paul Daniels awesome switch jacks but I think I got the last one before he closed up and its lost in the mail somewhere between here and there. I haven't seen any other good jacks that I don't have to build myself. Any thoughts? I would love for it to have low voltage alarm as well.

Also on the JR 285's MG or no MG?

also how about the spektrum A3030? Sounds like it should be a winner in the pod. Anyone use them yet for DLG?

Thanks
Matt
Pickle72 is online now Find More Posts by Pickle72
Last edited by Pickle72; Aug 02, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:06 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,186 Posts
No MG, and never heard of the spectrum ones but would probably be fine. I'd suggest a short servo to facilitate moving the servos as far forward in the pod as possible.

James
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:49 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Jan 2010
310 Posts
Why no MG James? I love my 285MG. After 1000 crashes, they still work great. Wheres the 285 with non MG in the Blaster 3 are a pain to pull out to change the striped gears. Just asking.
Wayne
Airbud is offline Find More Posts by Airbud
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:58 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,156 Posts
MG tends to develop slop over time, nylon and carbon-reinforced plastic gears are best for our use.

Thanks Gerald, my legs are <90deg but my 180deg bend maybe too large? I think there's about a 0.5mm gap there. Will have to try again some time.

Matt, I got mine from Ken here on RCG, xwingnut. Not sure if he still makes them but darn good and a great price. I still have a couple I'm saving for my planes! If you're interested I have the 385 (same as 285's) and D6011's (for wings) as a bundle, just let me know if you need a set.

Thomas
ThomasLee is offline Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:53 PM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
357 Posts
James here you go. All that hot air just rushed out of the balloon... it was only 204
DBSkyout is offline Find More Posts by DBSkyout
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:24 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
MG tends to develop slop over time, nylon and carbon-reinforced plastic gears are best for our use.

Thanks Gerald, my legs are <90deg but my 180deg bend maybe too large? I think there's about a 0.5mm gap there. Will have to try again some time.

Matt, I got mine from Ken here on RCG, xwingnut. Not sure if he still makes them but darn good and a great price. I still have a couple I'm saving for my planes! If you're interested I have the 385 (same as 285's) and D6011's (for wings) as a bundle, just let me know if you need a set.

Thomas
I probably forgot to say, but the insertion angle needs to be 90 degrees. The slight angle difference tries to hold the "free" section into the hinge gap when the gap is open. When it is closed, the closing of the skins keeps it from coming out. Having the 180 degree bend not being super tight helps this as well.

Anyway, like I said, I've not had problems. But I've only done the tails on one plane with pull spring, as I rather prefer carbon pushrods. I do not think carbon pushrods are heavier once one factors in the spring and the methods of reinforcing the stabs to take the spring ends. I do think carbon pushrods are definitely more solid. I consider that to be important, particularly for rudder.

Gerald
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:14 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Jan 2010
310 Posts
"MG tends to develop slop over time, nylon and carbon-reinforced plastic gears are best for our use. "
But there is no slop in a string /spring system
Airbud is offline Find More Posts by Airbud
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:37 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,769 Posts
MG gear servos are also heavier.

Gerald
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:41 PM
I am UNIQUE!
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbud View Post
"MG tends to develop slop over time, nylon and carbon-reinforced plastic gears are best for our use. "
But there is no slop in a string /spring system
Yes there is, it's called gear lash. It kills precision.

Mike
Fig Jam is offline Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:47 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,769 Posts
Mike,

Gear lash is removed in the pull-spring system by maintaining a torque against the servo, at all times, in one of the rotation directions. Additionally, the system establishes a linear force against the output shaft, reducing free motion there. The net result is that a servo with insufficient output shaft support or with sloppy gears can still be made to work well. In practice this means that some servos may be suitable for a pull-spring system that are not suitable for a pushrod system, of the same requirements. On the flip side, the static torque takes away from the servo's available torque and holding power in that one direction, but adds to it in the other. That asymmetry may or may not be an issue, depending on the application.

It is not my favorite system but it certainly has its uses.

Gerald
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:56 PM
I am UNIQUE!
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
Never thought of that, you learn something new every day.

Mike
Fig Jam is offline Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:33 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,424 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!
I might try the spektrum servos, price is right. Maybe get some 285's to back them up just in case? I will definetly be asking you for some D6011 wing servos here in the near future Thomas, might as well throw in a new CF Neos while your at it

Matt

high speed?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ervo-SPMSA3010

or high torque
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...o-SPMSA3030#t2
Pickle72 is online now Find More Posts by Pickle72