Nice work!
Thanks Arup!
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:04 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
I started an identical kit last winter, still haven's finished it. Got the wings framed up but it's all sitting in the box. Had good intentions of finishing it this winter but other projects seem to have gotten in the way.

The airframe builds heavy IMHO. The wood is dense and heavy however it builds in to a STRONG structure. I have a new in the box Super Tigre .61 that is intended to go in it. Was considering putting it on floats hence the .61.

Good luck with your build SkylineFly. I'll keep an eye on this thread and follow your progress.
Taildragger55 is offline Find More Posts by Taildragger55
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:09 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,356 Posts
Thanks TailDragger. I'll get it done. I promise. I have to, I bought all the covering for it already.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:05 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,356 Posts
Continuing with Wing

Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:55 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,626 Posts
One thing you may want to do is sheet the underside of wingtips. The covering may get cut thru if a wing tip catches 'terra firma' and it's easier to patch on top of sheeting than open framework.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:42 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,356 Posts
Am I ever going to finish this wing?

Putting sticks together is easy, but sanding it all down so that its uniform is time consuming. Its even more frustrating when you sand too much and have to add more wood. Since the last pics, I got the top of the wing finished and sanded. I still need to build the servo mounts in the wings and finish the ailerons. I got one finished. Now all I need to do is sand the other aileron. I need to sand the bottom of the wing also and then the wing will be finished. After these few steps I can move on to the fuselage.

Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:20 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,356 Posts
Ailerons and Hinging Finished

Watcha think?

Last edited by SkylineFlyer; Feb 08, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Jun 2007
434 Posts
Looking good are you going to use separate aileron servos ? it makes a big difference
rupert the bear is offline Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:33 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,356 Posts
Definitely! I'm just trying to figure out in my head how I want to do it? Do I want Servo covers that the servos mount to? That way I can install them when I'm finished with the planes covering? I think thats the way I want to go. Any tips?
Old Feb 09, 2012, 01:03 AM
Joined Jun 2007
434 Posts
Servo covers as you have described (with the servo on its side and a slot in the cover for the arm to protrude) is probably the tidiest way to go, you will just need to glue some of rails between a couple of wing formers to screw the covers to.
The wing formers that have the rails glued to them will probably need a little reinforcement.
Unfortunately i had to convert mine after a year or two, so i positioned the rails in such a way so i could screw the servos directly onto them in an upright position, and then made covers out of plastic with a hole for the shaft to protrude through.
It will be much easier for you to make a tidy job of it, the next one i build (and i will build another one ) will benfit from lots of hindsight
PS don't forget to position the servos so they do not interfere with the wing braces
rupert the bear is offline Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,626 Posts
Put the servo rails on the covers. That's the easiest way plus it's very easy to mount servos on their sides that way. 1/32 marine ply is great for this kind of servo cover. Being electric you could probably go with a lighter material.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:17 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,356 Posts
Okay guys. Took your advice and put rails on the formers to attach the plywood to. I'll mount the ESC to the plywood like most of my ARF's are done. Here is what I have so far.

Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,626 Posts
Hi SkylineFflyer- I know you already have your servo mounts in wing but here's the setup I was talking about. What is nice is the servo mounts on its side easily and is easily serviced. This is a SIG 1/6 Cub bashed to a Super Cruiser. It's almost ready for paint!
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:20 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP View Post
Hi SkylineFflyer- I know you already have your servo mounts in wing but here's the setup I was talking about. What is nice is the servo mounts on its side easily and is easily serviced. This is a SIG 1/6 Cub bashed to a Super Cruiser. It's almost ready for paint!
Yeah, thats what I'm doing. Maybe were confused. The servo is going to mount to the plywood. The plywood is going to be screwed to the rails on the wing.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:41 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Thats a great looking wing Skyline!

Wow it must be strong, just curious do you know how much it weighs. So far I have only built small balsa models must be nice to have all that 'Meat" in your hands and not worry about breaking small ribs and such....although sure is a buch a sanding;-)

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge