SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2014, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by Rocketman209
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
608 Posts
Discussion
Scale Build Off 4 - SE-5 Peanut scale

Hey guys, this is my first build off. I am starting this thread in order to join, but I don't have much to show yet. My build is small, and I have completed the drawings, so I should have some progress soon. I enjoy small builds, as they remind me of all my rubber FF stuff I built when I was young. Sticks, tissue and dope! lets see what develops. I enjoy small builds, so I thought I would post some pics of some prior builds. The Albatross never made it to RC, But the Martinside and the Bristol did.
Rocketman209 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman209
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by TPfingston
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,648 Posts
I'm looking forward to your build, Rocketman. I have some small gear that I'd ordered several months ago for a 'someday' build. Best wishes!

Tony
TPfingston is offline Find More Posts by TPfingston
Old Oct 19, 2014, 02:41 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
608 Posts
I love building small. The trick is to think LIGHT. I have weighed 4 - 5 lb / cubic ft balsa, and I use thinned elmers for glue. its about 1/4 the weight of CA and it will sand nicer. Then use thinned dope, and hopefully it will turn out nice. You end up spending about 6 $ for an airframe. I should have some bones shots tomorrow.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,721 Posts
My favourite rubber peanuts so far are my Voisin Hydroplane, and Dumont 14bis. The Voisin weighs 10 grams, and the 14bis is 9.5 grams.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:34 PM
Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,840 Posts
Should be nice and interesting that you chose the SE5 rather than the SE5a. Maybe I can pick up some tips about building small and light because I have a few ideas in mind.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:47 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
608 Posts
OK, I will bite. I have been unable to find the difference between the SE-5 and the SE-5a. I hope I don't have to change the name of the build...
Old Oct 21, 2014, 03:09 PM
Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
7,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman209 View Post
OK, I will bite. I have been unable to find the difference between the SE-5 and the SE-5a. I hope I don't have to change the name of the build...
Mostly the shape of the fuselage under the nose. The Se5a had an added 'chin' area below the engine - I think to accommodate a different engine bottom end. The radiator may be deeper too. Check for a wedge-shaped addition in any side views.
Pat (working from a dubious memory....)
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best Laid Plans....
Old Oct 21, 2014, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,721 Posts
Se5 didn't have a headrest.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Oct 21, 2014, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by Lnagel
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,437 Posts
Pat is correct in that the nose of the Se5a had a chin added to the bottom of the engine cowling. Another difference is that the Se5 had a short exhaust that was about the same size as the manifold whereas the Se5a had a long exhaust that extended to behind the cockpit. Baldguy is correct in that the early Se5 did not have a headrest. However, the later versions of the Se5 did have a headrest. The early and late versions of the Se5 also had different windscreens and different wing tip angles. The late model Se5 wing tips carried over to the Se5a.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Oct 21, 2014, 09:31 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
608 Posts
Thanks guys, It sounds like I am building a late model SE-5. I am not used to figuring this out after starting a model.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 04:02 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,840 Posts
And, just to further complicate an already muddled situation some SE5s were upgraded to SE5a. Ignoring all the minor nose shape, exhaust and headrest details, the most obvious difference, and the important one, is wingtip shape. The Se5 had heavily raked tips(giving a quite pointed tip) whereas those on the 5a were fairly blunt. That alone is what obviously separates early SE5as from late SE5s.
The attached shows the 5a tip style.

Sorry, didn't mean to cause confusion (for a change). Which ever type it is it should fly well.

Pete
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Dec 2002
608 Posts
Maybe I will just build it, and treat it like modern art. I will let the beholder interpret SE-5, or SE-5a.

Wings and stabs off the board tomorrow. pics to follow.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by T_om
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman209 View Post
Maybe I will just build it, and treat it like modern art. I will let the beholder interpret SE-5, or SE-5a.
EXACTLY how I built my FW-190 concept test model.

As long as anyone looking at it doesn't say "nice looking Spitfire" I am good to go.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old Oct 25, 2014, 06:05 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,840 Posts
Never a bad thing when a 190 can't be mistaken for a Spitfire.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,741 Posts
I try to achieve "folk-art level" when detailing my scale models. If I should accidentally do better, that's white powdered-sugar frosting on a devils food cake.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged