HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2014, 08:57 AM
Kid at heart..
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Apr 2014
216 Posts
Discussion
Best way to fix/touch up clear coat finish on fiberglass hulls.

Hi all, I did a search but did not find anything on this topic.
I have a fiberglass hull that is painted and clear coated. The clear is peeling/gone on some parts of the hull due to taping down the hatch. Is there a product/way to touch up and fix the clear coat on the hull? I want to avoid the tape from utlimately damaging/peeling the paint once the clear is completely gone.

Regards,

Dillin
hangtheman is offline Find More Posts by hangtheman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2014, 09:08 AM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,128 Posts
I am guessing the paint was not sanded/roughed up, before the clear was sprayed on. Sanding it down, and re-clear coating, after, roughing up the paint slightly, is probably going to be your only cure.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Sep 30, 2014, 09:13 AM
Kid at heart..
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Apr 2014
216 Posts
Thanks CaptCB. Sorry I forgot to mention that this is a RtR boat so under the clear I believe are decals. I don't think its paint underneath so I can't sand it. Didn't know if there was a product to spray on over the existing clear. I was going to spray some clear over the area, but I am guessing that it will probably not stick to the existing clear nor last very long.
hangtheman is offline Find More Posts by hangtheman
Old Sep 30, 2014, 09:22 AM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,128 Posts
On some of the RTR's, the "clear," is not even paint, it is a some sort of Vinyl coating.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Sep 30, 2014, 01:41 PM
United States, IN, Greensburg
Joined Jun 2014
369 Posts
I'm also interested in this topic.Im wanting to start racing so I thought it would make more sense if I restored an old boat instead of buying a nice new one and worrying about crash damage.

With the exception of the scuff on the deck and chips on the sponsons I haven't found any other damage on the hull.

This will be a slow restore over the winter and I'll start a thread for it.Id just like some advice on fixing the sponsons before I start ordering stuff.
micromodder is offline Find More Posts by micromodder