Manuel V.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2013, 07:32 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,997 Posts
I'll bet it does. Is the back plate and bearing tube composite too? Or does that transition to metal in there somewhere?

It think it was E-Flite that had or maybe even still have a motor with a plastic base that didn't do well in service. It was on the first generation foam glide that became so popular, really a good plane, but the motor base (it had threaded insert molded in for mouning) would develop cracks over time, probably from the heat.

Those aluminum bearing tubes and backplates are the primary route for gettng heat out of the windings. I always touch that base of the motor first to check for heat.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Aug 05, 2013, 05:27 AM
The Last Question
United States, UT, West Valley City
Joined Oct 2006
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
I'll bet it does. Is the back plate and bearing tube composite too? Or does that transition to metal in there somewhere?

It think it was E-Flite that had or maybe even still have a motor with a plastic base that didn't do well in service. It was on the first generation foam glide that became so popular, really a good plane, but the motor base (it had threaded insert molded in for mouning) would develop cracks over time, probably from the heat.

Those aluminum bearing tubes and backplates are the primary route for gettng heat out of the windings. I always touch that base of the motor first to check for heat.

Jack
Yes, the bearing tube and backplate are one piece molded in high temp composite. The front has an aluminum motor mount and front bearing that goes approximately 5mm into the composite and same with the aluminum stator tube which holds the middle and rear bearings.

I usually cut off the backplate, or what I called the guard earlier, for ease of winding. This stator was obviously wound before being pressed into the composite.
Entropy76 is offline Find More Posts by Entropy76
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:44 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,269 Posts
I install 2 or ring of 17.8mm diameter x 2.5mm
But better best one 17.8-18 x 3mm.
In EDF with 28mm duct.

In one EDF of 30.5 as XRP 14B is best a thicker ring.
Around 4mm.

11 turn with 20AWG is easy.
But you can use 21AWG.

This motor is for Wemo mini fan 68mm. to 4-5slipo.

I'm about to RECEIVE one 70mm EDF 10 blades and a 14.
As can'll post the results with the new engine rewind.

Manuel V.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v