HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:31 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
Help!
ESC and motor hookup question

I have a Sky Walker 20A ESC and an A2212-13 Brushless Outrunner Motor

I have no idea what the wiring sequence on these are.
3 black wires on the ESC and 3 colored wires on the motor and no instructions.
Does the order matter? I can't seem to find anything anywhere.

It has been about 20 years since I got rid of my stick built, two stroke plane and getting into it again.

Thanks.
sirzappa is offline Find More Posts by sirzappa
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:38 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,384 Posts
Plug them in and bind you tx/rx. Once you do, slowly press the throttle (preferably with no prop attached) and if the motor turns the wrong way, simply switch any two wires regardless of color.
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:06 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
Thanks! It sounds like either way I can't burn anything up. I will give it a try.
sirzappa is offline Find More Posts by sirzappa
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
HBGB is 100%
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:17 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,072 Posts
What I'd like to know, statistically, the chance of getting it right first time? So far two wrongly wired first time and one right - but the right one was a pusher so would have been wrong if it had been a tractor... ???
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:30 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
What I'd like to know, statistically, the chance of getting it right first time?
Since there is only 2 direction the motor spins I think you have a 50/50 chance of getting right
Quote:
So far two wrongly wired first time and one right - but the right one was a pusher so would have been wrong if it had been a tractor... ???
Brushless motors and esc have 3 wires, the color coded one are generaly a manufacturer thing where they color code their motor and esc for easy connection for most of there plane setups. Example - HH/E-flite using Red/Blue/Black.

Regardless of color coding, all you need to do is connect all 3 wire and test, if you have it wrong then you simply SWAP 2 and ONLY 2 of the 3 wires and this will change the direction of the motor.

Some ESC have the ability to change the motor direction with programming making connecting the wire in proper order a thing of the past.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:13 PM
United States, IA, Bettendorf
Joined Jan 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post

Regardless of color coding, all you need to do is connect all 3 wire and test, if you have it wrong then you simply SWAP 2 and ONLY 2 of the 3 wires and this will change the direction of the motor..
Received a new heli (Hausler 450 clone) today. I get NO rotation of the motor. Vendor hasn't called me back yet and likely won't hear from them till tomorrow.

Any troubleshooting I can do? Quick voltage measurements? It was a RTF model. CT6B radios. Servos all work, just no spin-up. Pulled the motor gear for safe measure.
(I know this ended up in the wrong forum)
Thanks!
2004FLHRSI is offline Find More Posts by 2004FLHRSI
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:44 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,098 Posts
Most setup require an arming procedure sometimes, esc needing to be armed. Have you check that?
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:51 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,089 Posts
Sometimes, the throttle channel has to be reversed. I had the same problem with my Futaba radios until channel 3 was reversed.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:55 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,384 Posts
You might also try trimming down your throttle to see if it arms. The ESC won't allow the motor to turn even if your throttle is only slightly up. Sometimes a couple clicks down on your trim will boot her right up.
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:26 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,072 Posts
And make sure or try with the trim at zero too. On my Tx it is all the way down, not at the mid point.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention