HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:18 AM
Australia, NSW, Ingleburn
Joined Dec 2009
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nam Lemmi View Post
Got stuck in a tree today (Parkzone SE5a). Thought you all might like to finish the day with some light entertainment.

http://youtu.be/zapOrxMpKto
You could have used these guys Im sure.
Helicopter Fishing (4 min 53 sec)
ingleburn is offline Find More Posts by ingleburn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:23 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Hi

It's not closely related to flying, but maybe it will come useful to someone...
Example of how to protect the camera from wather:

and a video of 808 #16 lens D, as helmet camera:
Trial Dragonja 20.10.2012 ( helmet camera ) (8 min 50 sec)

MoPho is offline Find More Posts by MoPho
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:24 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Well, I did use the GUI, followed it to the T. Downloaded all files and read all of the first 4 posts, several times.

Not so sure I would call the FW solid, especially when the instructions/help file indicate that the led MAY flash or something will PROBABLY happen. That is not solid FW.

Not trying to be argumentive, I know you love this product, but it ain't ready for prime time. Not decide what I will do with it yet, but the bottom line is this, I have 3 hours into this and it still does not work.
I dare to say that the firmware is extremely stable. It is not possible to brick these cameras unless you do something very silly like the camera was not fully charged when you did the upgrade or you removed the card while the firmware was updating itself. And even then the camera isn't bricked, but you may need a card reader, which you can find, BTW, for very, very cheap! The best readers I have cost about 6$, and that's expensive!

However, you don't tell us exactly what your symptoms are. The first question is "Are you sure the camera is fully charged?".

Which LEDs, if any, show when you press the Power button? And how do they blink?

If neither the red nor the yellow LED show any sign of life, then you will need a card reader of some sort. I don't know if you can use your mp3 player / camera / mobile for this purpose, but it may also be possible. If you have a notebook, netbook etc, it is possible that it has a micro SD slot.

I have updated these cameras hundreds of times and there are thousands of others who update these cameras regularly. They are stable, take my word
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:14 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
I like the balloon method, adds color for recovery if needed too! (I would suggest that the developers sell extra $1.50 cases in colors too!)

However, I'm not sure the front element of the D lens is sealed in place. I think I ruined mine by getting water between elements. (My grandson was driving my cam on a RC boat at speed through waves, a severe test).

FISHY - you pulled a D lens apart, was the front element sealed??
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:15 AM
Dave the Rave
Joined Jun 2007
875 Posts
Quote:
Not trying to be argumentive, I know you love this product, but it ain't ready for prime time. Not decide what I will do with it yet, but the bottom line is this, I have 3 hours into this and it still does not work.
This is a $30 camera that, because of our ability to upgrade/update the firmware supplied by the manufacturer, is capable of video quality equal to that of far more expensive cameras. It is also being improved constantly with new functionality like time delay recording, motion detection, etc., is small, lightweight, and easy to mount and use, perfect for areal photography or FPV flying. The trade off is that to get all that value, users have to be the kind of people who are willing to fiddle with it a bit to squeeze all the power out of it. To make it more "user friendly" would require more LEDs to indicate functions, more buttons, more everything, so it would weigh more, cost more, etc. And that's not what most of it's current users want or need.

Nobody mislead you or misrepresented it to you, but that's what you make it sound like, you said you'd been "screwed". I respectfully disagree, and I think maybe you owe the developers an apology. You need to take a deep breath, slow down, and let the guys here help you get it up and running correctly. As has been pointed out, you don't have to buy a card reader, but if you want to they can be had for much less than you stated. Follow the instructions carefully and your unit will work just like everybody else's does. Heck, if fishycomics can get one to work, anybody should be able to.
dmccormick001 is offline Find More Posts by dmccormick001
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I like the balloon method, adds color for recovery if needed too! (I would suggest that the developers sell extra $1.50 cases in colors too!)

However, I'm not sure the front element of the D lens is sealed in place. I think I ruined mine by getting water between elements. (My grandson was driving my cam on a RC boat at speed through waves, a severe test).

Love the water balloon

Yes I pulled one apart
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:59 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,703 Posts
Quote:

I doubt the lens is sealed other than by whatever contact force is present between the outer lens and barrel. BUT, I do think the balloon method might give some minimal water-proofing for a shallow submerging if the camera were first wrapped (front to back) with very clear plastic film sandwich wrap, pulled tight so no wrinkles but not so tight as to deform the plastic film. I've done this on water planes just for camera splash protection, and cannot tell the plastic film is there. And then if possible, add the balloon without causing the plastic film to crease or release.

It wasn't mentioned how the balloon is best installed, e.g. do you roll back the small "lip" end of the balloon until it reaches the aft end, then stretch the whole thing over the butt end of the camera and roll the lip end back over the camera to the lens?
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
The lens:

Has two thread points and shown in the tear down picture. The cam has a nice opening where the lens seat
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
You can delete the firmware using the backdoor method, see instructions. It is done totally in the camera.
+1 That's exactly how I updated mine as well, as I didn't have a card reader at the time.
leddhedd is offline Find More Posts by leddhedd
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:51 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Such is life. If I can't get this resolve by this time tomorrow, off to the dust bin with it. Not going to invest any more time or money into it. I am pretty much screwed on this one. Sometimes it is that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
If you still think your camera is hosed and you don't want to invest any more time learning about it, send it to me... I can always use a spare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw34k View Post
I'll take it before you trash it.
dont listen to those guys. they are just trying to get something for free. i will trade a mini card reader THIRTY DOLLAR VALUE!!! for that totally worthless camera.

lol!
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:01 AM
France, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Oignies
Joined Dec 2008
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
Hi

and a video of 808 #16 lens D, as helmet camera:
http://youtu.be/xUE4bW240gY

Great idea!!!!!!!
so simply and so great
Thanks
flahut59 is offline Find More Posts by flahut59
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:27 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Video is on the cool side, did you adjust fw 49, has a lot of warm in it? Music was soothing, so was the flight, just looked tail heavy due to the lift?

FISH
That canyon produces some wild wind at times. On take off you can see the plane cut up through the turbulent air. I think the constant wind was at least 15 MPH with gusts much higher.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:25 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Thank you lee I triy enjoyed it. I mention the warm th of the video as a good thing. For me I am in a cooler color zone. The kC808 does a great job

Yes that wind a d explaining g it, you did a perfect job loved it
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:15 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Thank you lee I triy enjoyed it. I mention the warm th of the video as a good thing. For me I am in a cooler color zone. The kC808 does a great job

Yes that wind a d explaining g it, you did a perfect job loved it
The sad part is a month ago the canyon was bright red and yellow with the fall colors.

I wanted to go a little farther up the canyon and shoot some video there where the canyon is a lot smaller but I needed to get my courage up plus the wind was a little too high to risk loosing the plane on the cliffs.

You have to remember this is only an 18 oz or about 540 gm plane. It is a little bouncy in the wind. I am sure the 5 lb version would be more stable. I am going to put the 16D on a couple of my fast planes and fly in some of the sites too.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:17 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
dont listen to those guys. they are just trying to get something for free. i will trade a mini card reader THIRTY DOLLAR VALUE!!! for that totally worthless camera.

lol!
I've bought several microSD cards which come with an SD card adapter which can be read by a computer, and permits the microSD card to be used in a camera..for a modest sum.
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul