HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:19 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Build Log
Pronto Supreme First Scratch Build

So as promised I am going to start a build log of my Pronto Supreme as stated here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1548

This is my first scratch build ever! So wish me luck. I'm having a blast so far. My goal is to maiden no later than January.

Some details:

Wing Span 51"
Length 36"
Wing Area 408 sq in.
Wing Loading 11.3oz sq ft
4 channel
Power plans call for .25 but will be making this one electric

I was inspired to do the Dave Robellen Pronto Supreme from this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1401154

I was going to do the 3 channel version but need a aileron plane so this will be it.

Any questions feel free to ask I don't mind! And yes I promise I will finish this project without abandoning this thread.

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:23 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
Subscribing... I need a little inspiration to finish a current project I've put on hold.. maybe your build will give me the kick I need.. Nice looking plane here too, can't wait to see how it turns out!
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Work Area

So being space challenged where I'm at I figured out I can reconfigure my home office to make room for a table. I found a nice work bench from Harbor Freight. Was surprised as it is nicely constructed. 60" x 20" work area. Cost me $129.

And no I'm not going to keep a running total. Don't want the CFO to find out
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:34 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
That is a good looking first scratch build project. A nice simple wing design will really help. Little odds and ends you pick up when building can really add up. Be sure to discard all receipts!

Speaking of which, what building board will you be using?
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Dec 07, 2011, 01:38 PM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
That's coming up. I started this last week so will be posting progress as I went along.

I have picked up quite a bit already and I am learning a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7 View Post
That is a good looking first scratch build project. A nice simple wing design will really help. Little odds and ends you pick up when building can really add up. Be sure to discard all receipts!

Old Dec 07, 2011, 01:52 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7 View Post

I agree 100% on all of this..
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Dec 07, 2011, 02:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Plans, tools and more workspace

So I made two copies at Staples. $5 something each not bad. Didn't know they did that in the store. I want to save the quality of the original plan I got.

Some tools I picked up:

1) 12 inch metal ruler corked back (Harbor Freight)

2) x-acto knife pink edition (Michaels) CFO picked out the color. Thought it was "cute"

3) Master Airscrew Stripper ($7-8 tower hobbies)

4) Master Airscrew Planer ($7-8 tower hobbies)

5) Great planes 5.5" hand sander (Hobby People about $7 I think. receipt lost on arrival)

6) sewing cutting mat (free MIL is a seamstress)

7) Carbon paper ($17 or so at Staples for a bunch ton of carbon paper)

8) Poster board (free already had from son's school project)

Taped the original plan on wall and cut out roughly parts from copy. Using carbon paper traced onto poster board to use as template. Got the ribs template (actually rib because they are all the same size) cut first. Made rudder, fin, stabilizer, elevator templates on poster board.

Don't want to take credit for all these ideas. Cracksmeup here was feeding me some tips
Old Dec 07, 2011, 02:25 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Happy to see you started this thread and maybe we can get some new builders fired up to try one. Iam subscribing . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Dec 07, 2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 02:40 PM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
I just want to publicly thank Joe for spending the time helping me. I'm not sure I would actually be at the point I am without his guidance. No way would I ever have started a build log. That is too much commitment

Thanks Joe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Happy to see you started this thread and maybe we can get some new builders fired up to try one. I subscribing . joe
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:02 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
I just want to publicly thank Joe for spending the time helping me. I'm not sure I would actually be at the point I am without his guidance. No way would I ever have started a build log. That is too much commitment

Thanks Joe!
Ahhhhh no biggy iam happy to help anyone who wants to try and build a plane . You are duing great by yourself and dont need me. OH ! if your wife see's all your new tools and tables you dont know me ! lmao joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Dec 07, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 05:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Cutting Ribs

Okay so I place an order with National Balsa for all the balsa I need plus some for my next build. Okay so I'm planning ahead

Originally I was going to build the 3 channel version so bought some balsa at the local hardware store. Of course the balsa I bought is different thickness than is needed for this plan. I had a couple sheets of 3/16 so decided to get started at least on the ribs and I'll just have extra balsa when the shipment comes in.

So as you can see by the photo they are numbered w1, 2, 4, 10 etc. It wasn't easy cutting those out with the x-acto knife due to the thickness. So I got the 4 cut out and was pretty proud that I got started and something actually done.

Wait you say? Oh yeah I'm building a whole wing not a half wing. Whoops need to cut out 4 more. Went a lot easier this time. Sanded to the proper shape.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:46 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Good job, keep this rolling! I have several projects that need finishing maybe this will get me going!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:12 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
The Pronto has always been one of my favorites. I built one a few years back for electric. I used 1/16" balsa all around. Turned out it was too light/thin/weak. Fuse would torque causing all sorts of flying issues under power One of these days, I'll build a new fuse.

Here's my post from the thread Robert mentioned: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=60
rcav8r2 is online now Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:29 AM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
So a few days ago I got impatient. I made a trip to the LHS and picked up some 3/32 and some more 3/16 balsa.

CFO - "Where you going honey?"
Me - "Oh....to get some more balsa!"
CFO - "Didn't you just order some balsa online?"
Me - "Why yes I did!"
CFO - "hmmmm"

Mental note - Need to be a little more creative on my stories!

So cut out the six ribs with the 3/32 balsa....oh wait I'm building a whole wing huh? Yes I did it again. Had to cut out six more. Cutting with a knife on 3/32 was like a dream compared to the 3/16. Whipped out the rest in no time.

One problem I had was my original rib template was a tad off on the bottom as it was curved a little. When I traced it I just used a ruler to complete that line since it was straight. So I decided to redo the template as I'm saving them for repairs or future builds. So when I cut them out and sanded a tad I realized I got a little carried away sanding the first ones. The photos look worse than it was because they weren't fully sanded yet.

I was going to recut the 3/16 ribs but was told "It's like building a house once it's framed and covered you will never know" I think I like that saying. Once sanded it all worked out and they all ended up actually very close to the original plan.

Next. I need to find a file to work where the spars go and for the leading edge. I had a nice set of jewelers files but no dice, no chicken no rice.

I also need to cut some of the ribs a little deeper for a double spar near the fuselage.

Believe it or not I am actually having fun doing this!

Robert
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:03 AM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Thanks for posting that I forgot about that link. I never noticed you had the sketch up files there.

At one point I thought about using thinner wood but the plans say the original was 2lbs. So I figure minus heavier motor, tank and one servo I should be a tad under the 2lbs. I always figured I would get a motor that is the equivalent of a .25.

The supreme uses different wood sizes than the 3 channel one. Wingspan is about the same but the fuse is a little larger.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
The Pronto has always been one of my favorites. I built one a few years back for electric. I used 1/16" balsa all around. Turned out it was too light/thin/weak. Fuse would torque causing all sorts of flying issues under power One of these days, I'll build a new fuse.

Here's my post from the thread Robert mentioned: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=60