SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:53 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,667 Posts
Hey I just read this thread from the cover to where we are now. I was wondering, did anyone ever get to cutting in flaps? I am hoping to purchase this plane soon, I saved up all my lawn mowing money from this summer. I have been doing research and everything on this plane for about 4 months now...I have been flying a Hobbico Superstar EP With a Brushless upgrade all summer and was wondering if you guys think I can fly it. I have A BUNCH of time on the sim...
I also know a lot of guys at my local field that use spektrum...so they could connect to my DX6i for my first couple of flights...
What are your opinions?
I am in 7th grade.
Thanks!

BTW I don't know if you noticed but I use ellipsises a lot
I've actually taught two of my friends how to fly on their super cub... And have many successful flights! Only one time we got her stuck in a tree but got er out.
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:49 AM
USA, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Sep 2010
89 Posts
The SR22 is a really nice flying plane. Well mannered and predictable, but you need to keep the speed up; not that thats a problem with this design. It lands much faster than anything else I have.

If you've read this thread, you will see all the complaints about the nose gear and motor mount. After 4 flights, I thought I was the lucky one who didn't ave any issues with that stuff. Nope, yesterday the gear bug bit me. Fuselage is starting to split around the nose gear hole and the framework for the gear is cracking. Right now, my whole front end is apart awaiting some fiberglass work to fix the problems with this plane.

Overall its a fun plane and flies great, but be prepared to do some work to make it durable.
Flatusboy is offline Find More Posts by Flatusboy
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:12 AM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,282 Posts
Flatusboy can you post some pics of the fuslage crack area , this plane is going to be my winter build. thanks scott

;19862345]The SR22 is a really nice flying plane. Well mannered and predictable, but you need to keep the speed up; not that thats a problem with this design. It lands much faster than anything else I have.

If you've read this thread, you will see all the complaints about the nose gear and motor mount. After 4 flights, I thought I was the lucky one who didn't ave any issues with that stuff. Nope, yesterday the gear bug bit me. Fuselage is starting to split around the nose gear hole and the framework for the gear is cracking. Right now, my whole front end is apart awaiting some fiberglass work to fix the problems with this plane.

Overall its a fun plane and flies great, but be prepared to do some work to make it durable.[/QUOTE]
scottc39 is offline Find More Posts by scottc39
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:21 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,667 Posts
Yeah can ya? How are YOU going to fix it?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:43 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc39 View Post
Raz another question for ya on that motor,, did you have to reverse the shaft to mount the motor. thanks scott

Yes, it is slid through to exit the mount side. The main thing I did was to reinforce the wooden mount with epoxy then I cut the cross mount down to fit and used it on the outside so the weak wood is sandwiched in between the motor and cross mount.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:36 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,667 Posts
Thats a good way!!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:29 PM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,282 Posts
thought i would post up again about the nose gear and motor mount problems, if folks have some pics that would be great and how you beefed thing up. thanks all
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:02 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,667 Posts
Seems like those are always weak spots.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:09 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Here is how I made mine. It may be overkill but so far it's held up. It also keeps the steering arm from turning past center which causes the wheel to lock up sideways and flip the plane. It's made out of light ply and basswood and doesn't add that much weight. I also added epoxy all around the factory mount where it attaches to the fuse.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:22 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz View Post
...........It also keeps the steering arm from turning past center which causes the wheel to lock up sideways and flip the plane. ..........
Yes, nothing more delightful than seeing your plane flip on an otherwise perfect landing...

I am planning a similar repair, but my attachment points will be the sidewalls. In other words, I will be attaching another bulkhead, and expoxying (is that a word?) all around. You idea Raz, reinforces the feasibility of it, thanks!

Once in the air, this plane is a beaut. It's worth not stomping on it (although I have considered that )!

Nick
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:43 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,667 Posts
haha!
I hope I get this plane for Christmas....
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:01 PM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,282 Posts
ok like the pics and will be good to know during the build ,,,,,, but what dose actually happen to the nose and the fuselage???
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:00 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
....and the canopy when the plane flips over and cracks it.

The nose gear on this plane is very poorly designed. I suppose EF wanted to achieve a better scale look, and it looks good, but in reality, the wheel can turn unexpectedly due to either one of two things: the grub screw holding the steering arm loosens, and the support bulkhead cracks due to the high stress from the large moment arm.

I have had the nose wheel turn on me on take-off! It doesn't seem to take much. I have had better results by removing the wheel pant, as that catches little rocks on our paved runway, and that results in a premature leap upwards. Ridiculous.

Best bet, reinforce the steering arm mount, and steering arm set screw. Use larger wheels (a scale killer of course), and try removing the wheel pant. That is what has helped me, ... a bit.
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:26 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc39 View Post
ok like the pics and will be good to know during the build ,,,,,, but what dose actually happen to the nose and the fuselage???

I had several problems. The nose wheel can turn too far and go past center then it locks up sideways. The fix was to limit the arms travel. Another problem was the bulkhead itself. It's one piece of plywood glued to the fuse and the servo tray and with the long wheel strut it flexes too much and breaks loose. That's why I added the extra brace at the top. The other problem was the grub screw not holding well enough. To fix that I replaced it with a hex-head bolt (visible in the pictures), now it stays tight. Other than this it's a very nice plane to fly and it looks great and I would still recommend it.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:28 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,667 Posts
Couldn't you just glue it on? I suppose then you cant take the nse gear off...