D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:37 AM
Joined Nov 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basildog View Post
Hi Guy's,

I've been using Power Sails from New Zealand and found them to be excellent. Delivery here to Australia is usually only a few days. Sails have won plenty of National and International titles.

http://www.powersails.co.nz/

Baz
Is International titles defined by races won outside of NZ or by races won in an International event with an International field? They have won some regional events and a few National events outside of NZ but nothing International to date from their website.

For any gear look at what is being used in International event fleets by the top 20 or so boats as to what the top skippers feel gives them the best chance to win. If its fast, these guys will be using it!
al harrington is offline Find More Posts by al harrington
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:45 AM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
585 Posts
Why not clone existing sails eg. Bg/BM/ Power sails? Save urself a lot of money? Dont tell me plastic paper and tape costs hundreds of dollars!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:03 AM
Joined Nov 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D design View Post
Why not clone existing sails eg. Bg/BM/ Power sails? Save urself a lot of money? Dont tell me plastic paper and tape costs hundreds of dollars!
D
With one post you have managed to advise any reasonable sailmaker to avoid dealing with you. Hours of tweaking and travel to provide a customer good gear and pay the bill's does not come free.
al harrington is offline Find More Posts by al harrington
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:14 AM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
Joined Feb 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by al harrington View Post
D
With one post you have managed to advise any reasonable sailmaker to avoid dealing with you. Hours of tweaking and travel to provide a customer good gear and pay the bill's does not come free.
Didnt say I would do that, Just wondering
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:01 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Krabbe View Post
Is it posible to get a couple of comments to the difference between BG and Black Magic Sails.

Trim - ? Light wind? Overpowered?

Or is it just religion?

Thanks in advance
One big difference is there is a 6 month waiting list on Brads sails and there may be a small reason behind that
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:03 AM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
Joined Feb 2012
585 Posts
A novice fisherman was lost. Maneuvering his Jon Boat close to another fisherman's boat he shouted, " Excuse me sir, I promised my wife that I would be home on time and I'm afraid I don't know where I am. Can you help me?"
The other fisherman replied, " Sure, You are on a lake. You're in a Jon boat with a 20 HP gas outboard motor. You are between 35 and 36 degrees north latitude and between 80 and 81 degrees west longitude in about 18 feet of water."
"You must be a republican," said the novice.
" I am and proud of it," said the other fisherman. " How did you know?"
" Well, "answered the novice, "everything you've told me may be technically correct, but certainly not responsive to the intent of my question and my current need. I have no idea what to make of what you just said and the fact is, I am still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help to me at all and now I'm going to be late getting home!"
The other fisherman responded. "You must be a democrat."
"I am and proud of it," replied the novice, " but how did you know that?"
"Well, "said the other fisherman, "you don't know where you are or how to get where you want to go. You made a promise that you have no idea how to keep and you expect me to solve your problem. The fact is you were lost and in danger of being late getting home before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault."
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:04 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,105 Posts
Quote:
No it doesn't cost that much to make a set but it comes down to many more factor's. if it was that easy we would all be sailing with home made sails

I remember being told when I started this thread that these boats are too expensive and yes they are in some instances but sails from the top manufacturers are expensive for a reason.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:42 AM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
One big difference is there is a 6 month waiting list on Brads sails and there may be a small reason behind that
Not 6 months, 10 ! ...
FRA3700 is online now Find More Posts by FRA3700
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:31 AM
Spain, Valencian Community, Altea
Joined Jan 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA3700 View Post
Not 6 months, 10 ! ...
This should then mean that he has a order amount of aprox - 200 sets - as 1 per day should be able to make. That is impressive - !
Per Krabbe is offline Find More Posts by Per Krabbe
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:49 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Krabbe View Post
This should then mean that he has a order amount of aprox - 200 sets - as 1 per day should be able to make. That is impressive - !
And how long does it take to receive a new boat, years ?
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:52 AM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
And how long does it take to receive a new boat, years ?
For a Britpop, yes.
FRA3700 is online now Find More Posts by FRA3700
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:15 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
Joined Feb 2012
585 Posts
I dont see how something so simple could be so complex. Loyalists?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:32 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
Joined Feb 2012
585 Posts
Im sure people would enjoy making sails or boat themselves because thats what RC is all about! Has the RC sailor's cheese fallen off his cracker?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:25 PM
David Cook Victoria, BC Canada
Joined Oct 2012
269 Posts
Quote:
Im sure people would enjoy making sails or boat themselves because thats what RC is all about! Has the RC sailor's cheese fallen off his cracker?
Different strokes for different folks! That's what is so great about the IOM. For people who want the latest and greatest, they put their names on a list and wait. In the meantime they sail their current boat.

For those who want to build or design/build their own, they/we can admire the top boat (BP) and try to emulate it or TRY to improve on it.

For me I have tried it all...had Tony G.'s old Italiko and won races with it right off the bat. Then tried designing my own and realized it was more fun and satisfying to sail my own creation. I don't do as well but I'm having more fun. Try it you might like it.

If you do there's a free CAD program called Hullform designed for designing boats. It was made by the person who designed Kookaburra for the ACup in Fremantle. Here's the link:

http://www.hullform.com/
PorkyPig is online now Find More Posts by PorkyPig