HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:38 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
one of the main gear e-tracts is malfuntioning. I relaced it with a another and it malfuntions too.
Hmmm dodgy Y Lead perhaps?

John
johnUK66 is offline Find More Posts by johnUK66
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:49 AM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,186 Posts
if you have a good war-bird pilot in the club, let him maiden it. It really fly's nice, the takes off are slightly tricky, and I mean slightly. Pick up ground speed before yanking her off, and slowly feed in right rudder, you may have 25% right rudder when she lifts off, and 10-20% right aileron. Like most of these type planes, taxi with full up elevator. She lands just a little hot, not too bad really. When she touches down, as you back off the throttle, you feed in up elevator to keep the tail planted, and not allow it to nose over, (but not take off again).

I'm sure you will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
If anyones' still hanging around this thread -
I'm embarrassed to admit it but, I still have not maidened my CMP Spit. Last time I took it out the sliding canopy blew off during pre flight run up. Since then it's been relentlessly hot and windy. Just recently the weather is becomming flyable again and the canopy problem seems okay but now one of the main gear e-tracts is malfuntioning. I relaced it with a another and it malfuntions too.
Soon as I can figure out the problem I'll post the results of the maiden test flight.....with video if possible.

Don't give up on me yet.

Hope all have enjoyed a safe and happy summer flying season.

ce
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Old Sep 14, 2011, 09:15 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusvt View Post
if you have a good war-bird pilot in the club, let him maiden it.
From what i've seen the Capt is a very good Warbird pilot!

John
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:07 AM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,186 Posts
Cool, maiden will be totally drama free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnUK66 View Post
From what i've seen the Capt is a very good Warbird pilot!

John
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:07 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,562 Posts
Hey all..

Good to see everyone still interested in this spit.. hey Capt. I haven't been around for some time but was surprised to see you haven't maidened her yet!

She's a beauty though.. so please take your time, but i think you're a great pilot so I wouldn't worry about it!

I just finished up my 95" BF 110 and have been flying her almost every weekend.. all electric of course.. but shockingly.. i now have my FIRST gas plane.

An Aerotech A6M5 Zero.. i think you'll appreciate the work that went into this one Capt! Rivets.. panel lines.. full cockpit kit.. the works. Even the gauges are in Japanese..

I wish I had the patience you did with maidens... it was getting really late and dark (I was trying to get her started) but i just couldn't wait another day so I rolled out and took off! It was dumb.. but a successful maiden.

I'm not 100% convinced on gas (I may convert this one too).

I look forward to your flight.. lots of pics please!
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:07 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,911 Posts
It's good to see so many you guys are still hanging out here.

HK: Nice looking planes especially the A6M5.... That was a crazy time to maiden it - but happy it was a success. do you have a thread with photos somewhere? I'd like to see more of it.
Regarding e-tracts, they are the ones form Hobby King that I added shock struts to. I think John posted the same ones way back somewhere. They worked fine at first but I'll need to go back inside there and trace the problem down. I hope to have it ready for maiden in the next few weeks prior to an all electric event next month in Southeast TX.

Meantime I just finished a big, gorgeous foam FMS Airfield 1430mm Corsair. It comes with e-tracts & gear door sequensor and a beautiful 4 blade scale prop. Check it out....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...378353&page=71
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...22580&page=266

If anyone's interested there's a couple great threads here on RGG's.
capteasy is online now Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Oct 05, 2011, 12:00 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,911 Posts
My Spitfire has been taken to the field three times each time with the intent on maidening. Something mechanical or my forgetting to bring something - like the PROPELLER. That was cool, and I was so really pleased with myself that morning.

Mostly it's been one main gear failing to operate. I've replaced all wiring, double checked connections and even exchanged the servoless retract out with two others - nothing helps. It doesn't get any power. It works fine until it's screwed down tightly to the rails. If the screws aren't tight it operates fine. Maybe the rails are uneven and body of the retract is getting torqued somehow resulting some electrical disconnect - that's all I can come up with. Note to self: I need to confirm the two rails are parallel.
They seemed to work fine till everything was finsihed though...sabotage that's what it is.

Hope all you Spitfire pilots are fighting the good fight out there.

Cheers,

ce
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2011, 03:57 PM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Oct 2011
1 Posts
Hi there from Belfast in Northern Ireland. This is my first post here but i have been snooping on this thread for a few months now LOL - wanted to wait until i got to page 104 before chipping in and now feel as if i actually know the lot of you personally (laugh).

Got my kit about three months ago i guess but am only getting around to starting it now... boy am i glad i found you guys! That time has been taken up building a little Piper Cub kit which i have modded quite a bit including adding ailerons and a similarly small (about 3ft wingspan) Mustang. When i got my CMP Spit i was pleased with what i saw. I am a confident builder - even if inexperienced, i have a history of many other types of crafts and hobbies but am only getting back into RC after a brief romance with it about 15 years ago. I have never flown before (although i have dabbled with the heli's), which is why i built up the two wee kits - one which should hopefull show me the basic ropes, and the other which should get me aquainted with warbirds before pranging my lovely new Spitty!

Lots more i could mention, especially after reading the exploits in this cracking thread, but i'll get straight down to business with a few snaps documenting the start of my build... which will inevitably include a few obligatory questions LOL

Was thinking of fitting a chin scoop similar to that fitted to the Mk VB Spit to keep temps down. Not the most graceful of things but i always liked it because it was something a bit different. May even go for a new paint scheme and god knows what else too - but hope to get at least a few successful flights in first before getting carried away.

Intended spec is 5055-580, 100A esc, circa 3000mah 6s, 12X12/13X10 prop.

All for now - Mervyn.

P.S... i'm all ears if anybody can offer alternative solutions to the problem highlighted in photo 8 below. I've heard all your woes about spinner vibes and these clamp on shaft extensions hardly seem like an ideal starting point for good alignment. Can you get (or make) longer shafts?
Lord Morbius is offline Find More Posts by Lord Morbius
Last edited by Lord Morbius; Oct 08, 2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:28 AM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,643 Posts
Check my post #206, I was facing the same problem but glued in a piece of 5/8 plywood to the front ply ring. I added gussets to add more strength. I used the Scorpion collet adapter and it worked out great. Good luck with yours!

Been a while since I checked in here, I love the way my Spitfire looks in the air....(and flies too)

Denny
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:15 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Hi Lord Morbius & welcome! Glad you're enjoying the thread.

I can confirm parts 1,5 &11 in your pic 7 are indeed a prop saver, will try and find a pic to illustrate.

John
Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:45 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Just thought Id share these very nice looking scale 3/4 blade props. The link is to the distributor not a retailer so you cant buy them here but I was lucky enough to find the 3 & 4 blade ones I wanted on ebay.....check em out.....

http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.u...in=Accessories

John
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:27 AM
I couldn't help it!
Australia, NSW, Padstow
Joined Oct 2009
1,297 Posts
This is my first post but I have been watching for a while now. I have just received my CMP 50 spitfire and have ordered my HK parts. So far I have not found a problem with the kit but I will be making some mods to the wheel wells by removing the plastic but that is the only mod I can see that is needed.
I cannot wait to see this bird fly.
rodneyf is offline Find More Posts by rodneyf
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:07 AM
Joined Dec 2011
12 Posts
How scale is scale?

Hi folks
I have been reading right through this thread and it has got me hooked again on scale aircraft. Coming back into modelling after some 30 years, a lot has changed and it seems that no one builds anymore but that the time is then put into detailing what appear to be quite serviceable airframes - if you get the right one

I was into full scale competition - F4C - and I would like to skip the whole process of having to make a Spitfire fuslage in fibreglass by using a suitable pre-built one. Most of the other models like Yellow Aircraft and Brain Taylor etc. are too big and this CMP one seems a good size.

My question is though, who scale is it? The outline looks okay and checking the span and length back against my Spitfire drawings, it is very close to a MK IIA/V, even if it done up to look like a MKIV. The only thing I can pick right away is the smaller canopy - the "turtleback" is too shallow - and the obviously simplified wing. The gull wing section at the trailing edge is completely missing. Both of these I could fix by simply cutting the wing into 3 so there would be a dead flat section and a bit more dihedral added to the outer wing panels. The U/C would be relocated and narrowed too.

But, is the fuselage construction and overall shape good enough? I don't have an actual aircraft to look at and would be buying one cold. Does it have formers in the back or carbon tapes? Does it flex a lot? Also, I have never seen an actual electric motor powered model fly but from the YouTube clips, they sound like runaway dremels! Would an old fashioned glo engine be okay?

Not a novice at this, having built and flown 2 54" grumman tigercats - 1 still surviving - and a TSR2 - in scale at the Nationals. Very rusty though :-)

Any ideas much appreciated.
RandomBytes is offline Find More Posts by RandomBytes
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:18 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,911 Posts
Hi RandomB'....welcome back.
I still consider myself a new guy with only 3 years RC flying, but love scale. I had a great time converting this airplane to electric and adding custom scale mods. I hate to admit it still has not flown.. I did some ground tests and it did well but my sliding canopy and modified battery hatch wouldn't remain attached during motor test runups. Runway surface conditons, poor weather & distractions crept in so it still has not flown. Anyway I need to get back to it and get it in the air - it's on my to do list.

To answer your question, the fuse has plywood formers but since mine has not flown I can't reply to any flexing but do not recall any mention to that fact throughout the thread. As far as glow - that's what it was designed for, but I'm again not familiar and can't help much.

I sounds like you're very familiar with the Spitfire. All I can say is I think it's a pretty close scale profile but not perfect. I compared several ARF's and it was the best looking ARF for my money to say the least.

I hope this helps...maybe some of the old sticks will add their thoughts.

Good luck, I hope you'll let us know what you decide.

Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:10 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Sorry RB, I cant be anymore help than the Capt other than to 2nd the fact best scale looking Spit in the price range!

That bird never fails to make me drool Capt, gorgeous pics!

John