SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:43 AM
Joined Dec 2008
3 Posts
Discussion
Extreme beginner here with a simple Q....

I am getting a WH next week and was wondering if somebody would be willing to post pics of a how to for rudder extensions. I am very new and have never flown anything other than a paper airplane. I would not even know for sure how to do a rudder extension. I will search the forum but thought I would go ahead and say hi while I was here......

Rick~
richardlwebbjr is offline Find More Posts by richardlwebbjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:18 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
just take a piece of foam board "elmers project board from walmart works fine but peel the paper if thats what you use" cut it to the contour of the rudder and tape it on the rudder with tape on both sides .... thats pretty much it fairly simple to do
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:19 PM
Joined Dec 2008
3 Posts
Just tape huh? That seems much easier than what I had envisioned. Thanks. I appreciate it!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:42 PM
Crash happens! :)
Utah
Joined Jun 2002
2,186 Posts
What is a WH?
Arrow is offline Find More Posts by Arrow
Old Dec 30, 2008, 01:30 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,253 Posts
never flown anything but you're looking for rudder extensions?...
try flying first before you ask the plane to be more maneuverable and harder to control.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Dec 30, 2008, 03:38 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
It's a Wild Hawk. IMO, you should save your pennies, and get the Easy Star, the better of the two planes. The WH is just a clone of the Easy Star, and isn't as stiffo r durable as the Easy Star. Also, the Easy Star includes much much higher quality electronics.

The rudder mod richardlwebbjr is talking about is adding a piece of cardboard, or foam to make the rudder bigger, as the stock WH/ES rudder is quite small, and takes a lot of space to turn around even at full deflection. 1" trailing out off the TE of the rudder will work well. But do get the Easy Star. More then worth its weight in gold.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:28 AM
Joined Dec 2008
3 Posts
Exactly, thank you....
I have been looking into this for about two months now and am happy with the reviews about the Wild Hawk. I want to "try" this hobby and have learned that cheaper is better when it comes to me. I normally stick with a hobby til the wind changes. The Wild Hawk is cheaper, plus I am a full time worker and a full time student. Money does not grow on trees even with the G.I.Bill!! If I like it and stick with it, then maybe I will put some more serious money into it. Thanks...

Rick~
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:11 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
I got to look at a WH a while back, and it's definately not as durable as the Easy Star. People saying "It's better to start out cheap" are partly true, but at least invest into a good, solid, highly durable airframe.

And trust me, once you start to fly your first rc plane, you'll never want to stop this hobby
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..