HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2005, 08:32 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Evolution Trainer problems

I'm having so many problems with this engine. It's inverted in my Mustang and it's either flooded or starved of fuel. The plug is a hot one, God knows how many times I've had it out to dry it. I am almost convinced this engine is not suitable for inverted mounts. Anyone else had any problems with this engine inverted? I have an OS .25 inverted in a Spitfire and it runs absolutely perfect.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2005, 09:22 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,654 Posts
I've heard many voes from Evo engines especially when installed inverted. I even got an Evo 61 for $10 from a disgruntled flier who just crashed the T-34 (I think) it was in on it's maiden flight. The pilot blamed the engine for his mishaps.

Most of the blamed Evos I've seen still had the limiters on the needles. IMO the first thing to be done on an Evo is remove them. An engine requires more adjustment range than the limiters provide with temperature, humidity and altitude ASL change.

Another problem that I've seen with the Evo is debris in the needle valve. My first thought was that it came from the tank, but I rarely see it on another engine - OTOH it's kind of common for the Evos. That makes me think that the engines come with the junk already there from the factory.

I also found that the Evo likes long reach hot plugs - like the Hangar 9 2-stroke super plugs. They have a hemi head - the same type of combustion chamber that GMS and TH engines have. Could they be manufactured by GMS (looks like they are manufacturing the TH engines)?

I'm sorry I cannot provide more info, but I still haven't used that engine in a plane. All said is from what I've observed and my experience with Evo's owned by others when I was helping them adjust their engines. Some of these Evos had absolutely no problems but all of them were installed upright - maybe the needle settings limited by the limiters are good for that type of installation.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:40 PM
In Massive Debt
Northampton Massachussetts
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
Yea i still havent gotten any of my evo engines to run inverted succesfully. My .61 was running well for about 5 minutes, but after that I could never get it running right again...Ive also tried a .46 on a PC-9, and that didnt work well, so i ended up turning it right side up.. and it ran fine......Usually what i have found, is if you break the engine in right side up, its more likely it will work inverted.
blizzardwarrior7 is offline Find More Posts by blizzardwarrior7
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:04 AM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Well I've had it with this thing, I have run out of patience after trying for about 15 hrs or so to get this engine to run reliable enough to fly but it's not going to happen. I need to find another engine of that size that is reliable inverted.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 01:44 PM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Turn the plane around (use an external tank), and see if you can make it run right. If not either, you've got a bum engine.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Dec 13, 2005, 01:56 PM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Just called my local HS and bought a new OS. 46 Max for $98.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 03:46 PM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
There you go, save that other engine for something else.
Use the OS 46, put a MAC pipe on it, mount it rotated so the exhaust is exactly underneath the fuse. You'll love it.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Dec 13, 2005, 04:44 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellington53
Well I've had it with this thing, I have run out of patience after trying for about 15 hrs or so to get this engine to run reliable enough to fly but it's not going to happen. I need to find another engine of that size that is reliable inverted.
You can throw it to the south and I hope I catch it .
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2005, 08:47 PM
In Massive Debt
Northampton Massachussetts
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
Yea same here, or if you got a reall good arm throw it to the east coast
blizzardwarrior7 is offline Find More Posts by blizzardwarrior7
Old Dec 14, 2005, 01:33 AM
What goes up must come down
USA, GA, Snellville
Joined Oct 2005
218 Posts
I'll go for that too!!! toss it here...just over Blizz's head....
jfacky is offline Find More Posts by jfacky
Old Dec 14, 2005, 04:28 PM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
You can throw it to the south and I hope I catch it .
Go for broke! Toss it to Australia It's a big place, but I'll find it.
johnvb is offline Find More Posts by johnvb
Old Dec 14, 2005, 08:56 PM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
I got my OS 46 max mounted and this engine rocks!! I am going to call my hobby shop tomorrow and find out if the Evolution can be sorted out!