SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2013, 06:28 PM
Joined Aug 2013
137 Posts
Discussion
UAV for Property Parcel Identification and Analysis

Hello everybody!

I am an avid FPV'er and RC hobbyist. I have done some AP work outside the US (currently reside in Miami) and was recently approached by a firm to do something ambitious and quite interesting.

I need some input as to whether it is possible and am also reaching out to the community for someone who could help me and is involved in this kind of thing.

The firm that reached out is based in Latin America and they´re main business is collecting property taxes for counties.

Basically the county has a tax record or tax roll for each existing parcel and charges each land owner based on those records. The reality is that the tax records are completely out of date and people who actually pay the property tax are a true minority. This company acts as a collection agency based on the tax records and basically charges a fee on collections (approx. 20%).

The reason they reached out to me is that they would ideally like to not only collect but also charge the counties for updating theyre tax records and parcel information.

Obviously this is a very involved operation, they are extremely interested and have asked me to look into it further.

Here is what I have been thinking:

Build a plane (gas) with a camera to run waypoints (grid pattern) and fly taking aerial pictures of each county at a given height. We would then get the pictures stitched together and identify parcels from the current tax record. Once identified we would measure (bear with me) the area of each parcel and compare with current records. If there is a discrepancy by more than X% a ground team is sent in to assess and measure.

The records are then updated to the new area of land or constructed square feet/meters and the parcel is identified/updated.

There are a lot of variables here I need help with.

Current assumptions:

- It is efficient enough in terms of terrain covered for a gas plane to fly a large grid and stitch together the aerial photos to get an updated view of parcels
- we can establish area of each parcel by measuring the photos as we are flying at a given and constant height
- the taxation of the property will be in terms of area and constructed square feet/meters. If it is a 2,3,4, etc... story structure that needs to be taken into consideration.

Setup I am considering:

- large gas plane flown with an APM 2.6 to achieve grids/waypoints and data logging

In short, this is the info I am working with and if my initial assumptions are correct and on target I will look into specifics regarding terrain to be covered, etc.

Any thoughts!!??
nesal is offline Find More Posts by nesal
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:00 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,071 Posts
You will get better support and feedback on your idea over at DIYDrones.com and also even here in the UAV section in RCG.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:24 PM
Joined Sep 2012
208 Posts
From my experiences running uav in the field in remote locations, definitely have lots of spare parts. Completely redundant systems if possible. No single point of failure!
Northern Flier is offline Find More Posts by Northern Flier
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 PM
Joined Aug 2013
137 Posts
Thanks guys! Could a mod please move this?
nesal is offline Find More Posts by nesal