Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:24 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
Hey GDon,

I've been keeping up with the weather and know you guys are suffering an unusually cold winter I would trade the nights. I worked today in cargo shorts and a T-shirt and sweated too. Downside is it's 6:15 here, dark outside, 72 degrees and foggy. Humidity is high and everything is wet. I just got off the phone with the Hossmiester and here's the weird part. We're 70 miles apart and pretty much exactly parallel and the front is like a surgical knife slice between us. It's clear and 40 degrees at his house and dropping.

OK, once again showing that I am somewhat of a Luddite I need some answers to pass on to Jeff (Scaflock). He just text messaged me and wants to get on here but only has his non-Android phone. He wants to know the address for this site that he can use to access it. Anyone know what I should tell him?
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:13 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post

* OSHA? what's that? LOL, that prolly has something to do with why I fell off a plywood sheet that was posing as a man-cage on the Gradall (lift) , back in Nov. I was installing some windows at a job and stepped to far over on the plywood, Showed the boy's my double back flip w/ half twist! Didn't "stick" the landing but I did blow up my knee. Got to spend the next month and a half on crutches
Wow Woody, I missed this earlier. THAT sucks.

Last dumb one I pulled was trying to install some quick connect hoses on a RC100. I had the Tool (remember him?) inside the cab with the motor off. There was a hydraulic lock so the couplings wouldn't snap into place. I usually switch everything on without cranking the motor (IOW engage the valves but no pump) then cycle the sticks till all the back pressure dumps. I was in a hurry, hot, aggravated and said "OK, switch on and cycle everything". At the precise second I heard the valves slam open I realized my left foot was under the bucket which for some reason I had left about 2' high instead of dropping it when I parked. No-no #1.. Of course the bucket did a freefall right onto my little tootsie. One of those out of body experiences. I was floating a few feet above my dumb ass and screaming "DON"T HIT THE SWITCH TOOL!!!"...........but, it was too late.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:48 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,245 Posts
Ouch! White searing pain!!! man, that's gotta hurt. It's times like those a guy could really use a time machine... just back it up about 10 saconds for a "re-do."
* sorry, I'm no help with an answer for Jeff.... I can barely get my coffee pot to quit blinking 12:00 after a power outage?.... Tell him hello for me though, hope all is well with him.
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:54 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
I simply explained it to her as "clearing fields of fire" for the coming zombie apocalypse. I explain stuff that way to her. It makes her walk away stunned rather than demand further clarification.
Like Steve, I'm laughing almost too hard to respond! Tears in my eyes I'm telling you!! Sheesh, ,was that ever funny. Sean, I think you need to become an author -a comedic one at that! "clearing fields of fire/ makes her walk away rather than... " LOL!

Oh yeah, I have a slight idea of your meaning of out of body experience. In my house in LA, which was built in 1924, and had the leakiest windows ever - they were basically falling apart, anyway, I decided to replace them all with Pella windows. Easy job really. Dig back the stucco, rip out the old windows, re-frame -true, straight and level, set the window in with the appropriate shims ensuring everything is great, then take that killer waffle slab hammer and drive in some sinkers in the flashing to hold them in place. I'd put about 8 or 9 in, and was getting "comfortable" with the process (read, swinging the hammer like a real "pro"), and yes, on one mighty swing I proceeded to hammer my thumb at about warp 9. Within about 20 milliseconds, almost before I could react, the thumbnail turned solid purple -not good, then the pain came on. I sit down, saying something to the effect of "you dumb_s_, you hit your thumb!!" Save the rest for you...but out of body probably applied there. I'm sure that we've all got some stories like that, right? Or am I the only dumb_s_ in this group??

Rob
who ended up with a new thumbnail.
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Last edited by robh; Jan 15, 2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:30 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,245 Posts
You're not alone my friend... building with logs over the years I've broken a lot of body parts... When I get a x-ray of the latest broken finger the doctor usually has this look on his face
If you smash your finger/ thumb on the jobsite... better to just bite your tounge and enjoy the pain yourself, If you scream in pain your just inviting a good ribbin at lunch from the "crew"
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:52 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,916 Posts
Sean

One day i will never forget in 63' at Lackland A.F.B. boot camp it was 90 degrees at 4:30 am and uniform of the day was a nylon raincoat , it was so humid it was misting well you know you ain't gonna have a very nice day!!! with the D.I. yelling at ya too top it off .

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:29 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,645 Posts
You guys got me to thinking back when I was 16 and the summer job I had at the airport to help pay for flying lessons. I was pretty much like a "Sean junior" but without the brains or skill. We were in a hanger hanging the tracks that the big doors slide on. These things were all steel and heavy as hell but I was doing pretty good holding one up while the Colonel (airport owner/friend of Dad) was bolting it in. He twisted the ratchet and something popped, either tightening up or loosening off, but it jerked this big chunk o'steel out of my hand, about 6 inches up in the air, then dropped it on my head. Here I am at the top of a ladder, crosseyed, and hearing this weird ringing sound in my head when I see the Colonels (yes both of him) jump off his ladder and run over to me. I guess he thought I was dead, but I was just deaf as a post and couldn't see straight. The rest of the day is still a blur, but he wouldn't let me rent the plane for a week. Luckily that was the last door on the last hanger we built that summer. I mostly cut the runway after that, always watching for old Doc when I was cutting the approach area. Doc had trouble seeing straight also and was known for landing his ultralight 100 feet short of the runway. Wolf River airport in Rossville, TN was a fun, but dangerous place.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:04 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,916 Posts
Hi Guys

What is the best way to find a pistol collector for vintage German guns, as i have a 1914 Mauser 7,65 pistol i would like to find the value on.

It is Mint in the box and could use the cash to finish my display program, call shooting ranges or gun stores just need to get an honest number.

Thanks G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:24 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Guys

What is the best way to find a pistol collector for vintage German guns, as i have a 1914 Mauser 7,65 pistol i would like to find the value on.

It is Mint in the box and could use the cash to finish my display program, call shooting ranges or gun stores just need to get an honest number.

Thanks G Don
Actually GDon, those pistols aren't worth anything and in fact cannot even be thrown away due to California EPA regulations. I'll PM you my shipping address and I'll be sure it's properly disposed of for you thus saving you the headache and possible fines/jail time for even having it in your possession.

j/k

PM RCG member Kenbogunz on here. He's a friend of mine that lives in TX and works for a dealer of collectible firearms. Extremely honest and good at what he does. If he can't get an answer he can definitely point you to someone that can. Tell him I sent ya'.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:11 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,245 Posts
The boys said we needed a new nail gun on the job, so I picked up a couple of these new De-Walt's. It'll save time, now we don't have to climb a ladder...
Woody: looking forward to not carrying a framing hammer any longer
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Jan 16, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:24 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,554 Posts
You guys are over the top!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:26 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
DeWalt, PSML!!! Good thing I am a sober man, I might have spilled my glass of something.

Hey Hoss is alive!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:37 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,161 Posts
Quote:
OK, once again showing that I am somewhat of a Luddite I need some answers to pass on to Jeff (Scaflock). He just text messaged me and wants to get on here but only has his non-Android phone. He wants to know the address for this site that he can use to access it. Anyone know what I should tell him?
I'm pretty much a luddite, too. But... he can TRY http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861944

I've never had a cell phone I can access the internet with, but that's the basic address of the thread. (You would have to add "&page=x" with a number for x, to get to this or any other particular page.) I know that's the address I can paste into the browser to get here without coming in through the main menu.
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:45 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
Heck yeah Woody! That would be a weapon of mass construction.............

Wonder if you can special order it in pink. I'd like to get one for the wife. She's a better shot than I am anyway.

Hey Owl! Been wondering where you were.

Hammers and I don't get along too well either. I've actually gone a few years without driving my thumb through a 2 x 4. However..............

last summer I was finishing up the soffitts on the man-cave and broke the cardinal rule of ladder operation: I sat my 22 oz. Estwing (a fine, well balanced and HEAVY hammer) on the top rung of the 8' ladder, climbed down to get something.and promptly forgot I left it there. Couple of minutes later I moved the ladder and yep! got the claws right in my forehead. Produced a very effective ventilation gash along my hair line. I sat down and contemplated the errors of my ways for bit. Actually I was too stunned to move. Wife walks out and sees blood running down my face and freaks out. She runs back inside and grabs a towel and a bag of ice.

Here's the good part where I redeemed myself for my stupidity. She's standing there doting on me and picks the hammer up for some reason, I assume to clean the blood and meat off. About that time my NDN walks up to check progress. Just as he gets in earshot I cry "OK baby, I'm sorry, I'll never forget to take the garbage out again as long as I live".

A few more incidents like that and I will be Montana bound. I'll be showing up at Woody's door looking for a place to live and hide.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:30 AM
Joined Mar 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Produced a very effective ventilation gash along my hair line.
Did you use any cyano to glue it shut?
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave