SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 11, 2014, 05:35 PM
Joined Jun 2014
28 Posts
Discussion
Turning on/off Landing Lights on Airplane

Hey all,

I purchased a plane with no lights and decided to take the next step. I bought a simple 8 LED light kit and installed it. I have it plugged into my Rudder port on my 4 channel receiver (I only currently use three channels). The lights work fine, but I was wondering how I might be able to have the ability to turn on and off the two landing lights while keeping the beacons, nav lights and strobes still on. Any ideas? My transmitter is a DX6i.

My light kit I have installed is essentially the one pictured at the bottom of this post. Maybe the ability already exists, I just need to program my transmitter? The instructions said nothing about this though.

I also considered buying a second kit, taking the controller out and using a switch on that one and plugging the landing lights into it. That way one controller is always powered while the other with the landing lights will be switched on and off... this seems like a lot of hassle though.

Any ideas? I see there are other posts that cover this, but I'm a little confused because everyone suggests switches. However, wouldn't that turn off/on all the lights? I am looking to just turn on/off the solid landing lights, and their power requirements and connectors are the same as the regular receiver jacks. (Sorry, I don't know all the proper lingo yet) My limited understanding of RC electronics suggests that I need the controller in order to get the amp/volts correct or the setup won't work correctly.

Name: GT-FAA-LED.jpg
Views: 10
Size: 56.3 KB
Description:
Jimd0586 is online now Find More Posts by Jimd0586
Last edited by Jimd0586; Jun 11, 2014 at 05:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:33 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimd0586 View Post
Hey all,

I purchased a plane with no lights and decided to take the next step. I bought a simple 8 LED light kit and installed it. I have it plugged into my Rudder port on my 4 channel receiver (I only currently use three channels). The lights work fine, but I was wondering how I might be able to have the ability to turn on and off the two landing lights while keeping the beacons, nav lights and strobes still on. Any ideas? My transmitter is a DX6i.

My light kit I have installed is essentially the one pictured at the bottom of this post. Maybe the ability already exists, I just need to program my transmitter? The instructions said nothing about this though.

I also considered buying a second kit, taking the controller out and using a switch on that one and plugging the landing lights into it. That way one controller is always powered while the other with the landing lights will be switched on and off... this seems like a lot of hassle though.

Any ideas? I see there are other posts that cover this, but I'm a little confused because everyone suggests switches. However, wouldn't that turn off/on all the lights? I am looking to just turn on/off the solid landing lights, and their power requirements and connectors are the same as the regular receiver jacks. (Sorry, I don't know all the proper lingo yet) My limited understanding of RC electronics suggests that I need the controller in order to get the amp/volts correct or the setup won't work correctly.

Attachment 6842952
go to
www.trickmyrc.com

great LED's that have a controller and turns on/off landing lights .

YOu may also check with Brian PM him to see
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2072558
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
Last edited by HGhost; Jun 16, 2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:36 PM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,484 Posts
If you want to turn on/off just the landing light it will have to be on circuit by it's self with a rc controlled switch.

This is the Hobby King receiver controlled switch most of us use for that.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...833&aff=323542
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer