HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

The Next Big Thing From Hangar 9

Giant Scale Design for Hardcore 3D

Splash

Inverza 62 ARF by Hangar 9

The Inverza 62 ARF is based on the full-scale concept by Kevin Kimball which is turning heads in the aerobatic world. This giant scale model is designed with precision and 3D performance in mind. The engineers at Hangar 9 made that a top priority with every decision that was made, from fit and finish, to the control surface sizes to the vibrant Mirco Pecorari color scheme.

It comes with a two-piece wing and uses an aluminum wing tube. All the control surfaces except the rudder are pre-hinged and they included some other nice details like a tinted canopy and a scale looking instrument panel. The cowl and wheel pants are fiberglass and the rest of the structure is balsa and plywood. The Inverza 62 is available for pre-order right now. [Horizon Hobby]

Key Features

Wingspan: 88.0 in (2235mm)
Overall Length: 84.8 in (2153mm)
Wing Area: 1,600 sq. in. (103 sq. dm.)
Flying Weight: 17 lb (7.7 kg)
Wing Loading: 24.5 oz/sq ft
Engine Size: 62cc 2-stroke gas
Motor Size: Power 360 outrunner
Trim Scheme Colors: UltraCote Flame Red (U883), Midnight Blue (U885), White (U870)
Speed Control: 160-amp brushless
Recommended Motor Battery: 44.4V 12S 5000mAh 30C LiPo flight pack (6S x 2)
Assembly Time: 7-10 Hours
Power Plant Size: 3.1-3.6 2-Cycle Gas

• A unique design with a high-level of precision
  • Modeled after the Kevin Kimball Inverza™ monoplane
  • Super-light wing loading for outstanding 3D stability
  • Vibrant color scheme by Mirco Pecorari
  • Laser-cut balsa/balsa-plywood construction
  • Two-piece, plug-in wings with aluminum-tube wing joiner
  • Removable two-piece horizontal stabilizer
  • Painted high-strength aluminum landing gear
  • Pre-fitted hinges and low parts count builds quickly
  • Removable hatch with tinted canopy and cockpit detail
  • High-quality hardware package
  • Gas/petrol ready fuel tank
  • Optional electric motor conversion kit

Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2014, 01:20 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,315 Posts
I really like the looks of this one!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jan 10, 2014, 01:22 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
VERY nice looking!
Tim H. is offline Find More Posts by Tim H.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 01:43 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,196 Posts
I Love warbirds but, I am all over this one!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2014, 04:47 PM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I really like the looks of this one!
You'll put your eye out!!
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Jan 11, 2014, 05:00 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,443 Posts
Looks great Jason. I'm guessing that you don't have your hands on one of these yet, but the 17 pounds would be a sweet AUW. We're probably talking about 7 pounds in motor, batteries, and ESC. With the weight of the other components, that would mean an 8 pound 4 ounce empty weight, out of the box. Since the 62GXi is not a feather either, the gas version and the e-version may not be that much different, RTF. It would certainly be a must-have IMO if it were an accurate estimate.

I guess the question is, will you know soon, and will you be able to share the empty weight when you do?
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2014, 09:55 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jul 2005
20 Posts
I saw this at the AMA show today....very nice looking
Scooterpilot is offline Find More Posts by Scooterpilot
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:01 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterpilot View Post
I saw this at the AMA show today....very nice looking
Yes indeed you did!

Along with the other new offerings from Hangar9

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:14 PM
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jun 2006
972 Posts
Beautiful plane and covering scheme! I've got to ask, are those landing gear mounted backwards or is that just how they are on the Inverza?
Warbirds Rule is offline Find More Posts by Warbirds Rule
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:32 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofagun View Post
You'll put your eye out!!
LOL! I hope you are getting SEFF ready! I have been working on my night flyers this week!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Looks great Jason. I'm guessing that you don't have your hands on one of these yet, but the 17 pounds would be a sweet AUW. We're probably talking about 7 pounds in motor, batteries, and ESC. With the weight of the other components, that would mean an 8 pound 4 ounce empty weight, out of the box. Since the 62GXi is not a feather either, the gas version and the e-version may not be that much different, RTF. It would certainly be a must-have IMO if it were an accurate estimate.

I guess the question is, will you know soon, and will you be able to share the empty weight when you do?

You are a mad scientist! I love the way you think, and break it down.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jan 12, 2014, 07:47 AM
United States, AL, Smiths Station
Joined Apr 2010
94 Posts
Looks like there's a new front runner for my first 50CC electric.
ckankel is offline Find More Posts by ckankel
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:47 AM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,826 Posts
Looks like a nice plane. I want to see a video with that EFI 62cc motor flying it.

Cory
RC4x4 is online now Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Jan 12, 2014, 07:46 PM
Joined Jan 2005
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post

I wouldn't count on that weight estimate, certainly not for electric. I have a 3DHS 89" Slick, the same sized plane. With a very light Hacker Q80-8M and two TP 6s 5000 45C lipos mine Slick weighs exactly 19 lbs.

I think it would be tough to have the Inverza 62 come in at only 17 lbs even with a relatively lightweight gas setup, and electric in this size is always heaver. In the past I've often had a tough time achieving Horizon's advertised weight for glow or electric ARFs.

Strange - an aluminum wing tube, I've never had that in a plane, only steel or carbon fibre. Wouldn't aluminum be too soft?
malcolmm is offline Find More Posts by malcolmm
Old Jan 14, 2014, 02:31 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,443 Posts
I have aircraft aluminum tubes that came with a 50cc kit (85 inch Extra 300). I never replaced them because of the way the wing attachment is configured, and the fact that, even though it's built like a brick, it flies like a feather at one ounce under 18 pounds wet (500cc tank), and with aluminum landing gear. The pants are heavy too. I think I can probably save another 10 oz if I spent some time on it, but it just flies too good to mess with.

This is a sharp looking airplane, and I think that unless they really blew it with the weight estimate, there are ways to bring this in at a reasonable weight. I guess we'll have to wait to see what the real numbers are like, but considering that they went through the trouble to calculate wing loading, they are fairly certain about some setup coming in close to 17. Even at 18 pounds, that's still under 26 oz-sqft. Not only that, but at 18 pounds, the wing cube loading is under 8 if they have the wing area right.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2014, 05:14 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,337 Posts
Nice thread,i love the Hangar-9 Inverza,amazing planes to fly, i have the 33 and 280 and both of them fly just something unreal,this one looks beautiful,i love the size,colour scheme and the new 62cc engine looks very exciting!

Any one building here??
flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34