SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:58 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
478 Posts
Discussion
What happened to the Giant Icon ???

Just wondering if anyone knows what happened to the 1800mm Icon that HK was selling... I tried to order one of these in Jan, went back order and then not available at all.

Its now not listed on HK's site....

I'd still like to have one of these ...
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:59 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
478 Posts
And yes I am aware of the other Icon's ... not interested. Just want the 1800mm...
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:42 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,040 Posts
The bigger one was/is the Super Icon A5 70", it's still on the Easytiger web site, (manufacturer/distributor ?).

Perhaps it's till available else where ?.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:40 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
Looks like it is only in stock at the Australian HK shop. Search for amphibian on the HK web site.

They stopped calling it an Icon...I think they real Icon folks complained and they had a licensed deal with HH for the Parkzone Icon.

Perhaps the factory has stopped making it for now.

Easytiger is too high, price wise. Also, the stock setup needing 6 cells is silly. Mine flys perfectly with a Power 32 clone and 4 cells.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:31 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Looks like it is only in stock at the Australian HK shop. Search for amphibian on the HK web site.

They stopped calling it an Icon...I think they real Icon folks complained and they had a licensed deal with HH for the Parkzone Icon.

Perhaps the factory has stopped making it for now.

Easytiger is too high, price wise. Also, the stock setup needing 6 cells is silly. Mine flys perfectly with a Power 32 clone and 4 cells.
I think you are right.... Trademark issues with Parkzone are likely to have been the culprit.

I was able to find two distributors in Canada that have it. Great Hobbies and KMP models. I contacted Great Hobbies, and found that even though it is listed in their on-line catalog, it is a special order item, and is virtually unavailable.

KMP, out of Thunder Bay , ON also lists this model, also out of inventory.,.. until next week or so.

Both companies list the model for $199 CAD... KMP doesn't seem to include the motor, Great hobbies does...

I placed my order with KMP and am expecting delivery in early September. If anyone in Canada is looking for this model, KMP will have some, but not likely for long, so order now (and no I don't work for them..)

As I have been waiting for this model since January of this year, I am super stoked to receive it !!!!

After reading what information I could find, I decided on the following setup... perhaps if anyone out there using this model for FPV can remark on my choice of equipment....

42/58 500Kv on 12/7 prop
85 A ESC / 5A BEC (Rx)
6s 5000mAh

20g MG digital servos on all controls, no retracts

800mW Vtx
Sony CCD cam
1300mAh (Vtx Battery / FY-31/Hornet OSD)

Feiyu FY-31AP w/ GPS (on separate 5A BEC)
Hornet OSD

Hoping that the NTM 500Kv motor will do the job....
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:31 PM
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
The KMP model is the model available at Great Hobbies, I have spoken to KMP about this in the past. Like you simplyfly I too have been waiting for the large model since December. I was going to order it on HK's site and I hesitated and the next day they were out of stock and I have been waiting for a stock refill since and it never happened. KMP kept reassuring me they would have a model this past spring, which turning to summer, which is now fall. I may have to jump on this before I lose my chance again! I have the parkzone model but its just not scratching that itch I have.
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:30 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL13 View Post
The KMP model is the model available at Great Hobbies, I have spoken to KMP about this in the past. Like you simplyfly I too have been waiting for the large model since December. I was going to order it on HK's site and I hesitated and the next day they were out of stock and I have been waiting for a stock refill since and it never happened. KMP kept reassuring me they would have a model this past spring, which turning to summer, which is now fall. I may have to jump on this before I lose my chance again! I have the parkzone model but its just not scratching that itch I have.
Ya, I know.... I have the small HK icon, nice model, but .... isn't big enough for what I want. Talk to KMP, they will have availability on the 1800mm this week. I am hoping to see mine show up by mid Sept.

http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?p...654119806099dd

I'm not sure how many he brought in... so order right away!
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:39 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
478 Posts
Just arrived yesterday. Awesome. KMP has some stock now.....
get em while there hot!

The ARF comes almost like PNP.... The side floats on the fuse were glued in. The control for the rudder and retracts installed. Retracts themselves installed.

Just mount the motor, instal the electronics, connect the rods...ready to go

here are some shot after the unboxing....
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:46 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,315 Posts
A question that I have not seen asked or answered:

Can this model fly off water right after assembly or does one need to remove all the retracts before getting it wet?

I have no intention of flying this off of anything but water.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:52 PM
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
Simplyfly,

Keep us up to date on your "build" and how it runs for you, I am still very interested in getting one eventually. Do you think the retracts have been upgraded since the last version, if there was in fact an older vs newer version? What do you plan on runing for a setup? What battery?
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:32 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
478 Posts
Got started on the build...

Not sure if the retracts have been updated.. as I never got to see the other one. looks like them same unit based on the photo's I have seen. I also don't plan on using them, so I skinned over the hull using vinyl.

I set it up with NTM 42/58 500Kv, 85A ESC, 12/7, 6s 5000mAh

Here are some shots of what i have done so far...
Last edited by simplyfly; Oct 11, 2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: adding media
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:46 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
478 Posts
couple more shots....
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:25 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,315 Posts
Wow, lots of mods... what gives? I see VGs, slats and more.

Did it just fly like a dog when it was stock? I am surprised all those were necessary...
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:19 PM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Wow, lots of mods... what gives? I see VGs, slats and more.

Did it just fly like a dog when it was stock? I am surprised all those were necessary...
No, stock is fine... but with go pro, Auto Pilot, FPV gear, large batteries heavy motor... I put allot of weight on. S, for what Intend to do with it, the extra weight and stability is required, in my opinion.

The stock model is flyable, with no changes.
Manufacturer Recommended System
motor :37/40 400Kv
60A ESC
6s 2800 - 3200mAh
AUW: 2.5Kg

Without the FPV gear, and the 6s 5000mAh I am already overweight... which is what I found with the little icon... it is a little unstable when built light, and it gets alot worse the more weight you put on...

So, if the Icon is to be LRS FPV platform, it needs to lose some of its scale appearance, and lower its wing loading... Or fly fast, keep the nose up and watch the bounce

If the small icon flies anything like the big one, it will have the tendency to stall at slow speeds, especially when loading the tail, like in a sharp turn... So as to make landing in small spaces difficult, and at high speed. The flaps help, but can also create trouble...

I may try to use a different cam, that has a HD recorder built in, saving me the expense and weight of a goPro. The Cam is an excellent FPV cam, and has a HD recorder built in : http://www.foxtechfpv.com/horyzonhd-...cam-c-121.html

The option to use a single battery, by filtering the power, exists, and I used this in the small Icon to success... but in an larger, long range ship that has a rather large power requirement just to fly, then there is the OSD, GPS, Auto Pilot, larger servos, high power Vtx, flight recorder, lighting.... I feel more comfortable with separate power supplies, running an independent BEC.

The Rx and auto pilot are connected to 5A SBEC, and lights (RC switchable) The Vtx, OSD, GPS, and camera are on a separate 1000mA 3s... The telemetry data modem, when used, runs on the ESC's 5A BEC...

The current sensor has a LC filtered output. The Vtx uses a filter to reduce the interference... The Tx uses a filter to reduce output in the Vtx range...

I am modifying the small icon, to test the mods, and will post a video or two...

The big icon is waiting for some custom wire harnesses, and a 12/7 triple prop... maiden in a few weeks, hopefully there will be some snow hehe
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:46 PM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
A question that I have not seen asked or answered:

Can this model fly off water right after assembly or does one need to remove all the retracts before getting it wet?

I have no intention of flying this off of anything but water.
You don't have to remove the retracts to fly off water. But if you will never use them, I would take them out and seal the openings. Take the extra servo(s) out and save the weight of the equipment...Pete M
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas